Texas Fishing Forum

Anyone know who this is.

Posted By: cobryan: OB'S Guide Service

Anyone know who this is. - 05/09/16 12:50 PM

Was out fishing on Lake Lewisville on Saturday and saw this guy and his daughter bow fishing. Not problem with that. The issue I have is I saw him shoot 3 different fish get them to the boat and the drop them back into the water after being shot. I know that 1 was about a 3 ft gar the other looked to be a carp and the last from what I could tell looked like a bass. I just have an issue with the fact that you are shooting fish and then throwing them back. What are you teaching your kid. Stuff like this just pisses me off.
Posted By: I love fishing

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/09/16 02:28 PM

Not a good start to teach about life and conservation.
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/09/16 02:57 PM

Does the Kid have a life jacket on ?
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/09/16 03:18 PM

Breaking several laws, these are copied from TP&W manual:

Any fish that is edible or can be used for bait (includes all gar species, common carp and buffalo) may not be released back into the water after being taken with lawful archery equipment.

Bows are legal for taking non-game fishes such as gar, buffalo, mullet and sheepshead. NOT BASS

There is also a limit of 1 alligator gar per day......

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/09/16 03:46 PM

Yeah she had a life jacket on. If I would have know all the rules to bow fishing I would have called the GW right then.
Posted By: TarponFly

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/09/16 05:56 PM

One of the game warden's told me you are not allowed to discharge a firearm on Lake Ray Hubbard. Bows count as a firearm. That's why you don't see a bunch of people bow fishing on the lake all the time.
Posted By: proudveteran74

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/09/16 06:44 PM

Call the GW, let them sort out the knowledge of the laws next time. The resource is ours and we have to be the guardians who protect it.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/09/16 10:49 PM

Boat sorta kinda looks familiar, but I don't want to swear to it.

Agree with above statements. If you think that fish & game laws are being violated, call the GW - that's why they're here.
Posted By: Texasian

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/10/16 01:38 AM

A Bow is NOT considered a firearm. It is considered a projectile weapon, but that is completely different from a firearm. TPWD has no regulations prohibiting bow-fishing on Ray Hubbard, however, DPD may have regulations regarding projectile weapons within city limits.
Posted By: Fritz423

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/10/16 08:38 AM

Good golly some people find the oddest things to get righteously indignant about. So you want to call the game warden because they released the dead fish into the water instead of a trash can? And I doubt they shot a bass.

I say hang 'em!
Posted By: fmclee

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/10/16 09:51 AM

popcorn2
Posted By: Andrew Taylor

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/10/16 01:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Fritz423
Good golly some people find the oddest things to get righteously indignant about. So you want to call the game warden because they released the dead fish into the water instead of a trash can? And I doubt they shot a bass.

I say hang 'em!
roflmao
Posted By: LipRip

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/10/16 01:44 PM

I have a lot of buddies who bow fish. They absolutely love it. I made a personal decision a long time ago that killing fish for target practice was not for me. That being said...it is a legal means to take non game fish. I had one bow hunting friend ask me what the difference was between what they do and releasing a gill ripped under sized game fish back in the lake to die? I am not saying I agree but it made me think.
Posted By: G Love

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/10/16 02:19 PM

I used to guide bowfishing trips. I love it. Not as much as fishing but I do love it. I know a ton of people that do it. I don't know any that shoot game fish. Though, this guy doesn't look like much of a bowfisherman judging from his boat, I highly doubt he shot a bass. Just call the GW if you feel like he did. That's an awful long way to ID a fish from the other side of him though. Bold accusation at that.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/10/16 02:47 PM

dead fish into the water instead of a trash can?

Both are waste, and both are wrong. When you kill an edible fish, you put it to use rather than wasting it.
Posted By: fishanhunt

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/10/16 03:21 PM

I personally wouldn't consider gar or carp good to eat and I would rather they go back into the lake for the scavengers to eat then be in a trash can or on the bank with the awful smell and all the flies, but that's just my opinion. I don't bow fish but think it would be kinda fun to try.

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/10/16 03:25 PM

I was a lot closer to him when he shot the last fish that looked like a bass. Not saying that I know for sure what it was, just what it looked like to me.
Posted By: KBW

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/10/16 03:29 PM

I say hang 'em!

^^^
This
Posted By: RHO

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/10/16 04:08 PM

Why kill a fish if you don't plan on eating it ????

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/10/16 04:27 PM

Originally Posted By: cobryan
I was a lot closer to him when he shot the last fish that looked like a bass. Not saying that I know for sure what it was, just what it looked like to me.

Well no disrespect to you bud, but I'm sure some people on this thread will associate that boat with shooting Bass with a bow now. Even if he didn't.

Originally Posted By: KBW

I say hang 'em!

^^^
This

No doubt.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/10/16 05:20 PM

And the court of public opinion is now in session,.. mad

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/10/16 06:53 PM

LOL this is getting funny now. Sorry it pissed me off to see someone shooting fish and leaving them for dead. Kind of like going on a trophy deer hunt and shooting a doe and leaving it laying. Don't see much difference in that than this situation.
Posted By: Greg Goodrich

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/10/16 07:33 PM

For those of you that wouldn't call the game warden for this violation...when is a violation bad enough for you to call? 10 fish over a limit? Blasting through a no wake zone you are fishing in? When is it bad enough? Or will you always turn a blind eye?
Posted By: TGalyon1

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/10/16 07:36 PM

First everyone take a breath read this
http://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/fishing/bow-fishing-regulations
if you have problems with what he is doing take it up with Texas parks not this guy. As long as be abides by game laws.
Also you might want to read rule 9 think. If this guy is a member of TFM you might of violated the rule by calling him out.
Posted By: fmclee

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/10/16 10:11 PM

Originally Posted By: TGalyon1
http://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/fishing/bow-fishing-regulations
if you have problems with what he is doing take it up with Texas parks not this guy. As long as be abides by game laws.
Also you might want to read rule 9 think. If this guy is a member of TFM you might of violated the rule by calling him out.

So if he released a gar or carp ... He's in violation of game laws .........
Posted By: HeavyLead

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/10/16 10:55 PM

Originally Posted By: TGalyon1

That link very clearly states that what he did was against regulations. Just like it's against the law to kill them and leave them on the bank. It's called waste of fish. The intent behind the rules is that you don't kill animals that you don't intend to use for any purpose. Purpose with fish being food or bait. It really is that simple.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoo...ing-regulations

Quote:
Waste of fish
It is unlawful to leave edible fish or bait fish taken from the public waters of the state to die without the intent to retain the fish for consumption or bait.

It can't be made any more plain than that.
Posted By: SandyChaser

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/12/16 02:36 PM

Originally Posted By: LipRip
I have a lot of buddies who bow fish. They absolutely love it. I made a personal decision a long time ago that killing fish for target practice was not for me. That being said...it is a legal means to take non game fish. I had one bow hunting friend ask me what the difference was between what they do and releasing a gill ripped under sized game fish back in the lake to die? I am not saying I agree but it made me think.

In my opinion, the difference is that not every fish you catch and release is a "gill ripped undersized game fish" that has a mortal wound. EVERY fish you take bow fishing will die.
Posted By: TxPacker4

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/16/16 03:39 PM

Originally Posted By: TarponFly
One of the game warden's told me you are not allowed to discharge a firearm on Lake Ray Hubbard. Bows count as a firearm. That's why you don't see a bunch of people bow fishing on the lake all the time.
there's still a lot of guys that bow fish around the George Bush bridge at night. See them a couple times a week down there.
Posted By: MightyMas

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/16/16 09:42 PM

In my opinion, the difference is that not every fish you catch and release is a "gill ripped undersized game fish" that has a mortal wound. EVERY fish you take bow fishing will die.[/quote]

NOT correct, I white bass fish several creeks heavily each spring and have seen a dozen carp and buffalo with old, clear enter and exit arrow wounds. I do agree that it hurts the fish unlike just hooking them in the mouth, however the lethality is definitely not certain.
Posted By: DU SOUTH5

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/16/16 11:15 PM

Mighty Mas. Go stand out there and let me sling an arrow at you. Don't worry the lethality of this arrow is definitely not certain! LMAO! That's great.

Kinda like the other guy " I don't consider Carp and Gar to be edible" how bout not thinking of your self for one second. U remind me of the idiots on their phones on 635 doing 100mph because they aren't thinking about the safety of others. I wouldn't eat one either but that doesn't mean somebody won't.

There is a HUGE difference in hooked a fish in the gills and it dying and shooting a fish with a bow and it dying. Your intentions in fishing may be catch and release with rod and reel. I don't consider shot by a bow and arrow catch and release. Your intent is to kill the fish.

I was raised up to take what you need and leave the rest. Don't kill things for fun or waste them if you decide to take something's life. God has given us alot of great creatures to fill our appetites lets not be wasteful.

As to bow fishing it's legal and people enjoy it. That doesn't mean I agree with it but its the law. So let them have at it, you won't see me out there.

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/17/16 06:41 PM

Anyone wanna go bowfishing this weekend? I have some honey holes.
Posted By: Nutman

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/17/16 08:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Greg Goodrich
For those of you that wouldn't call the game warden for this violation...when is a violation bad enough for you to call? 10 fish over a limit? Blasting through a no wake zone you are fishing in? When is it bad enough? Or will you always turn a blind eye?

do you go over the posted speed limit on a road or highway? You want people calling the Highway patrol every time you pass them on the road at a speed greater than the posted speed ?

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/17/16 08:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Nutman

do you go over the posted speed limit on a road or highway? You want people calling the Highway patrol every time you pass them on the road at a speed greater than the posted speed ?

No, but I can tell you this. I take game laws a bit more seriously than a speed limit. I once shot a buck that was under the 13" inside spread in an antler restriction county. I called the GW on myself. Forfeit of the deer and $1300 in fines and restitution. I'd do it again, and I would certainly turn you in if I saw you violating game laws.

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/17/16 09:13 PM

No, but I can tell you this. I take game laws a bit more seriously than a speed limit. I once shot a buck that was under the 13" inside spread in an antler restriction county. I called the GW on myself. Forfeit of the deer and $1300 in fines and restitution. I'd do it again, and I would certainly turn you in if I saw you violating game laws.

And of all the game laws, that's one of the dumbest. What if it's a 4 year old deer with an 11" spread? Just let him keep breeding your does so you have more of that same [censored] genetic... Makes sense. But props for being so righteous... lol
Posted By: Nutman

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/17/16 09:25 PM

This is the ridiculous & a$$inine statement I have ever seen posted on the TFF. You take Game Laws more seriously than driving laws ??? I guess it is just a matter of priorities. While breaking a game law is very poor judgement I have yet to see where shooting an 11 inch buck would cause a person to lose their life, where speeding has a direct correlation to wrecks and fatalities.
I'd like to see you go to the PD and ask them to write you a ticket every time you break a law.

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/17/16 10:00 PM

This is the ridiculous & a$$inine statement I have ever seen posted on the TFF. You take Game Laws more seriously than driving laws ??? I guess it is just a matter of priorities. While breaking a game law is very poor judgement I have yet to see where shooting an 11 inch buck would cause a person to lose their life, where speeding has a direct correlation to wrecks and fatalities.
I'd like to see you go to the PD and ask them to write you a ticket every time you break a law.

Right? lol
Posted By: nate king

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/18/16 07:51 AM

You called the GW on yourself? I really have no words for that, but good for you.
Posted By: Mark C

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/18/16 12:02 PM

Originally Posted By: nate king
You called the GW on yourself? I really have no words for that, but good for you.

And it cost him $1300.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/18/16 12:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark C
Originally Posted By: nate king

And it cost him $1300.

A fool and his money are soon parted

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/18/16 01:01 PM

I'm talking about 5 MPH over the speed limit. Good Lord. And as far as game laws go its called ethics, but I guess if you don't have any you wouldn't know about them. You know...doing the right thing even when no one else is watching? I seriously misjudged a number of members of this forum apparently.
Posted By: Kahuna

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/18/16 01:07 PM

This is better than the Bass threads! popcorn2

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/18/16 01:22 PM

G Love I know what your talking about on the 11" spread on a 4-5yr old buck. But saying it is one of the dumbest laws just shows you dont know what youre talking about.

The whole reason those laws were put into place is because idiots couldn't keep their fingers off the triggers and the harvest or 1-2 year old bucks was at all time highs. The population of deer and size was being decimated. That's why they also have a "no doe Harvest in many east texas county's too. If you want to manage your own deer herd you can always apply for MLD/Lamps or one of the permitting processes.

The deer in east texas and other places have made HUGE comebacks due to the management laws in place. You can probably find the deer surveys/studies done over the last 20years online if you look. It's really incredible how far some of those areas of texas have come back.

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/18/16 01:33 PM

Originally Posted By: DU SOUTH5
G Love I know what your talking about on the 11" spread on a 4-5yr old buck. But saying it is one of the dumbest laws just shows you dont know what youre talking about.

Hahaha..

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/18/16 01:37 PM

I thought this was a fishing forum anyway
Posted By: GMB

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/18/16 04:43 PM

I don't deer hunt anymore, but that is a law that is really fascinating to me? I would never be able to tell the difference between 13 inches and 12 inches at more than 1 inch away using a tape measure.

I would not shoot a buck where that is the law cause I would be in trouble...........

gmb
Posted By: nate king

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/19/16 03:32 AM

I'm talking about 5 MPH over the speed limit. Good Lord. And as far as game laws go its called ethics, but I guess if you don't have any you wouldn't know about them. You know...doing the right thing even when no one else is watching? I seriously misjudged a number of members of this forum apparently.

I use to be a federal law enforcement officer, and dealt with a lot of fish and game in Louisiana and Florida. So I know a little, when it comes to ethics. I do not know of an officer that would have wrote you a 1300 dollar ticket if you called in on yourself (depending on the infraction) but to each their own, But I would be willing to bet, that he wrote you that ticket to teach you a lesson, to not call in on yourself next time.
Posted By: River Mongrel

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/19/16 12:07 PM

Originally Posted By: gmbryant
I don't deer hunt anymore, but that is a law that is really fascinating to me? I would never be able to tell the difference between 13 inches and 12 inches at more than 1 inch away using a tape measure.

I would not shoot a buck where that is the law cause I would be in trouble...........

gmb

That's why you only shoot them if they are outside the ears........Geez

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/23/16 06:16 PM

Originally Posted By: River Mongrel
Originally Posted By: gmbryant

gmb

That's why you only shoot them if they are outside the ears........Geez

So the ears are always 13 plus inches apart? I did not know that.

GMB

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/23/16 07:19 PM

Well that's why I said it was a dumb law. TPWD's rules aren't in place for proper deer antler growth management. They are there so people don't just shoot young bucks. Which is good but at the same time if you have a 3 year old deer that has a dip S rack on him, he needs to be taken from the heard. Unless you aren't, and don't care for, management. In which case, to each his own. But a lot of people don't age deer so that's why that rule is there, I assume. The rule should be more to the effect of, don't shoot a buck under 3 years of age. Which would be unrealistic for many hunters to follow. If he has a set that are under 13" by a certain age, then you could say well I can't cull that deer because he's not outside his ears, which in my opinion is asinine.
Posted By: NTXBowfisher

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/23/16 09:07 PM

wow this thread is full of butt hurt. I know who that is, i doubt he was shooting bass, he knows better than that.If yall don't like bowfishing, don't do it....

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/23/16 09:35 PM

Originally Posted By: NTXBowfisher
wow this thread is full of butt hurt. I know who that is, i doubt he was shooting bass, he knows better than that.If yall don't like bowfishing, don't do it....

^^

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/24/16 12:28 PM

No one said anything about not liking bow fishing. Whether it was a bass or not is still up for debate. I stated that from where I was at it looked like a bass. But what I can tell you for sure is that I saw him shot 3 fish get them to the boat, pull the arrow out and throw them back in the water. If you are going to go to a public lake at least keep the fish in the boat and throw them away somewhere else. Also don't teach your kid that was in the boat with you that this is ok. This was my whole point to the whole discussion.

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/24/16 05:18 PM

No one said anything about not liking bow fishing. Whether it was a bass or not is still up for debate. I stated that from where I was at it looked like a bass. But what I can tell you for sure is that I saw him shot 3 fish get them to the boat, pull the arrow out and throw them back in the water. If you are going to go to a public lake at least keep the fish in the boat and throw them away somewhere else. Also don't teach your kid that was in the boat with you that this is ok. This was my whole point to the whole discussion.

When you make a post like this you are damaging a person reputation. Your statement that "Whether it was a bass or not is still up for debate." is not a fair comment. You just don't know.

GMB
Posted By: kdub#1

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/24/16 05:22 PM

You caught me. blush

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/25/16 12:43 PM

Like I have stated I am not here to argue whether it was a bass or not, to me it looked like a bass. If he would have just been shooting the fish and keeping them I would have never said a word about anything, along with teaching your kid that it is ok to go to a public lake shoot fish and then throw them back into the lake nothing would have been said. It was more about what he was doing and showing his kid than what he was shooting. Yall can get all butt hurt about me calling him out but, if he was doing the right thing this would have never happened. And that comment about it being a bass was is as fair as it could be. Like I stated that is what it looked like to me.

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/25/16 03:06 PM

Like I have stated I am not here to argue whether it was a bass or not, to me it looked like a bass. If he would have just been shooting the fish and keeping them I would have never said a word about anything, along with teaching your kid that it is ok to go to a public lake shoot fish and then throw them back into the lake nothing would have been said. It was more about what he was doing and showing his kid than what he was shooting. Yall can get all butt hurt about me calling him out but, if he was doing the right thing this would have never happened. And that comment about it being a bass was is as fair as it could be. Like I stated that is what it looked like to me.

LOL So now it's coming out. So since you saw him allegedly throwing fish back that had been shot, it pissed you off. 10-4. And since it pissed you off, you thought one of them might have been a Bass. But had he been keeping them, "If he would have just been shooting the fish and keeping them I would have never said a word about anything" then maybe it wasn't a Bass. Gettin' close here? Next time you see somethin that you don't like or offends you bad enough to run someone down publicly, why don't you just go tell em. In person. Right then.

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/25/16 03:14 PM

Was out fishing on Lake Lewisville on Saturday and saw this guy and his daughter bow fishing. Not problem with that. The issue I have is I saw him shoot 3 different fish get them to the boat and the drop them back into the water after being shot. I know that 1 was about a 3 ft gar the other looked to be a carp and the last from what I could tell looked like a bass. I just have an issue with the fact that you are shooting fish and then throwing them back. What are you teaching your kid. Stuff like this just pisses me off.

Read that carefully GLOVE it is the same statement that I just made. It looked like a bass to me. And there was no allegedly throwing fish back. I have to more people that were in the boat with me that can vouch for that. I am not running anyone down just stating the fact that is pissed me of that he was teaching his kid that it is ok to shoot stuff and throw it back in a public lake. If I knew who he was I would tell him. So why don't you offer up a name since you are protecting whoever this is.
Posted By: kdub#1

Re: Anyone know who this is. - 05/25/16 06:00 PM

^^^^
Yup its messed up
people that can't see that are tarded.

de
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum