Texas Fishing Forum

Ulterra or not?

Posted By: Yaffe (Jeff)

Ulterra or not? - 04/03/16 07:14 PM

Well since the tornado decided to destroy my ipilot I'm serious thinking about going back with Ulterra ....Any TFF'ers got reviews on the Ulterra they want to share?
Posted By: TxPanhandle

Re: Ulterra or not? - 04/03/16 07:58 PM

Bought one about 6 mo ago and I am totally satisfied with it ,and the remote deploy and stow along with the up and down trim is great. You can do this from any where in the boat or on the bank.
Posted By: Streetwalker

Re: Ulterra or not? - 04/03/16 08:56 PM

Been loving mine. Best toy I've put on the boat.
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: Ulterra or not? - 04/03/16 09:25 PM

I will be upgrading from my terrova with I pilot link to ulterra soon. Love the terrova but the stow and deploy and depth adjustment is what I like
Posted By: Chase Curtis

Re: Ulterra or not? - 04/03/16 09:45 PM

I really want one I just want to make sure kinks are worked out first. I thought I read somewhere that if it does have a problem or gets stocked down there is no override or if you do override it by taking it apart you have to send it into minn kota...?
Posted By: Pastor John

Re: Ulterra or not? - 04/03/16 10:12 PM

I need a new tolling motor. I spoke to my striper guide friends back in TN. They use them hard every day and have had some issues with them.
Posted By: trihullranger

Re: Ulterra or not? - 04/03/16 11:27 PM

I love mine.... best upgrade on my boat yet.
Posted By: red snappa

Re: Ulterra or not? - 04/04/16 02:44 AM

Absolutely love mine! Way better than the Terrova I had. Paired with a point 1 external GPS puck linked to my Lowrance, anchor lock is awesome!
Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: Ulterra or not? - 04/04/16 03:07 AM

We have one....in my opinion kinks aren't worked out yet. Ours broke 4th time out. Had to have deploy motor replaced.

When it works it's awesome. If you get stuck in the down position… Unless you can read a very very very serious schematic you are screwed.
Posted By: PlanoKeith

Re: Ulterra or not? - 04/04/16 05:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Yaffe (Jeff)
Well since the tornado decided to destroy my ipilot I'm serious thinking about going back with Ulterra ....Any TFF'ers got reviews on the Ulterra they want to share?

Jeff remember it will be a bit more difficult ( not impossible ) to run the down imaging transducer cable on the ultera. The ultera does not hve the channel in the shaft for a cable like we did on our terrovas. Insted there is a drive belt to raise the motor up and down . But the auto matic thing is pretty awesome smile
Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: Ulterra or not? - 04/04/16 05:08 PM

Also, spot lock is noticeably not as tight as the standard Terrova.
Posted By: Yaffe (Jeff)

Re: Ulterra or not? - 04/04/16 05:25 PM

Originally Posted By: PlanoKeith
Originally Posted By: Yaffe (Jeff)

Jeff remember it will be a bit more difficult ( not impossible ) to run the down imaging transducer cable on the ultera. The ultera does not hve the channel in the shaft for a cable like we did on our terrovas. Insted there is a drive belt to raise the motor up and down . But the auto matic thing is pretty awesome smile

Keith, I was wondering about that....wish they would upgrade their transducer.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Ulterra or not? - 04/04/16 09:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Salsa®

I wonder why that is? One would thing there would be no difference in the GPS portion of the head unit. hmmm

It would be nice if MK had Motor Guide spot lock accuracy so you could have it all, the power, nice remote, auto deploy, and an accurate spot lock. I think the good outweighs the bad on the MK units.
Posted By: SeaPro-Todd

Re: Ulterra or not? - 04/04/16 10:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Salsa®
That is a simulated drift feature? Did you catch more fish while it was swaying? I fished on one and noticed the same looseness too, doh! Wish the two engineering group would combine their brains.
Posted By: Cigga

Re: Ulterra or not? - 04/06/16 04:05 AM

Any of you guys upgrading to the Ulterra want to sell me your unwanted Terrova for cheap? LOL smile
Posted By: C Worthy

Re: Ulterra or not? - 04/06/16 04:21 PM

Just my two cents WORTHY..... I have had the SW Terrova, the regular Terrove, the regular Xi5 and now the SW Xi5. I personally love the Xi5s over the Terrova. I enjoy all the extra trolling patterns that are built into the Lowrance / Xi5 connections. I like being able to draw on the screen of the touch and tell the troll motor to follow it at 1mph. Just too many great things I like about the Xi5. Now the Terrova.... absolutely has more power. Weird, both were 80# thrust but the Terrova seemed to deliver it better. The Terrova clearly has a better remote. Never liked or used the foot controls on either one. I ordered a Ulterra and then canceled and went with the Xi5 because the whole idea of me (age 61) leaning over the front of the boat trying to figure out how to get that sucker up in 2' whitecaps scared the pejeebers out of me. Trolling motors are like beers....... gotta pick the one that you like the best or take what someone gives to you. Good luck mr Jeff
Posted By: Darrell

Re: Ulterra or not? - 04/09/16 01:35 AM

luv the ulterra, most awesome thing have ever had on the boat
Posted By: Lewis Perry

Re: Ulterra or not? - 04/09/16 03:09 PM

I just had the Ulterra installed on my bass boat this week and have fished two times with it. I really agonized over the decision between it and the MG xi5 and finally went with the ulterra primarily because of the stow-deploy feature. I really like some things about it and am disappointed in the anchor feature or spot lock in that it does not hold well-maybe a 15-20 ft. radius. Plus the steering motor is louder than the xi5. If I were not 77yrs. old I would have gone with the xi5 but getting right out on the very front of the boat to deploy and stow spooked me. I'm still hoping I made the right decision.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Ulterra or not? - 04/10/16 11:46 PM

I was out today with my terrova in 20 mph winds, sitting in the middle of the lake and I hardly moved at all. All the other boats were having problems staying on the fish. I probably caught 3 for every one of theirs. Fish didn't mind the steering noise at all. They would bite right at the trolling motor.

If you aren't getting a tight enough lock, try locking the heading and then set a speed to match the wind or waves. Sometimes that works better in holding a spot in lighter winds.

I really want to upgrade to an ulterra
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Ulterra or not? - 04/11/16 12:32 AM

Jeff I would talk to Matt Cartwright. I was out with him last fall. The auto deploy and stow is a great feature. I know Matt gives his equipment a work out. If it is good or bad he will be the one to know.
Posted By: 9094

Re: Ulterra or not? - 04/11/16 01:32 AM

The best thing on my boat.
My spot lock holds me a lot closer than 15 foot, I say more like 10 foot.
I had a terrova before and the spot lock did not keep you very close but this new motor does.
Also this motor is much quieter than the terrova.
Of course the auto deploy and trim are the best thing since outboard motors!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum