Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Whitney Springtime

Posted By: FishWrangler2

Lake Whitney Springtime - 04/01/16 03:58 PM

Howdy folks,

Recently had to start from scratch on the account as I wasn't able remember my old password but figured it wouldn't be too complicated to figure out who I was since I just added a "2" to my name.

That said, I have been encouraged to see the positive reports for Lake Whitney and the fortituitous outcome of receiving some of the PK and Grandbury stripers. As a result, I wanted try to get out on Saturday evening to do some spring stripers fishin' and then turkey hunting on my property nearby on Sunday morning for my birthday. Not being the most familiar with the springtime patterns, I wanted to see if any one had any tips on strategies (sassy shads, slabs, or top water) and part of the lake (creeks, north, south)? Appreciate any help or any recent reports!
Posted By: rdmac

Re: Lake Whitney Springtime - 04/01/16 04:22 PM

Live shad and live perch around the island by the dam. We wore em out last saturday drift fishing this spot. Not too sure about artificial baits. I'll be out there in the morning.

Re: Lake Whitney Springtime - 04/03/16 02:19 AM

Well the odds were against us but we still managed to get my friend on his 1st could of striper! In deiwinterizing the boat today, realized the GPS/depth finder was busted. Almost decided not to go out, and then came up with the idea of using the phone as our GPS and thought we'd give it a shot. Started trolling and eventually got around the island. We felt like we saw some shad working around there so we decided to stick it out despite not getting at bump for the 1st 45 minutes. Finally, my buddy hooked up on the one below just the right size for supper. Caught another one trolling a little later just under box but said he "hit it like a freight train!" All in all, glad to have the result given the circumstances. We'll definitely be back once we get our electronics back!

(Pics to come tomorrow)
Posted By: learnin to fish

Re: Lake Whitney Springtime - 04/03/16 05:48 PM

Did you catch them on live bait or artificial?

Re: Lake Whitney Springtime - 04/04/16 02:43 AM

All of ours were on artificial
Posted By: justindfw

Re: Lake Whitney Springtime - 04/04/16 11:14 AM

Hoping to get out to Whitney this weekend. Last month me and my bro caught a few striker on the Brazos but hoping to find some on the lake. Any ideas were we can look would be appreciated. Will probably be fishing live bait but can possibly throw arts
Posted By: guntz67

Re: Lake Whitney Springtime - 04/05/16 08:00 AM

Chartreuse 4 inch Wild eye shad is what I have been using since Jan. they work.
Posted By: steven1968

Re: Lake Whitney Springtime - 04/05/16 12:59 PM

Was finding scattered fish on channel edges in 30' of water Saturday morning. Never found any schools.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum