Texas Fishing Forum

PK

Posted By: fmclee

PK - 03/13/16 03:40 AM

Anyone fishing?
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: PK - 03/13/16 02:14 PM

I'll be out there mid week. I skipped this weekend, as the rain probably has the creeks muddy.
Posted By: Possumkingdomtackle

Re: PK - 03/13/16 06:39 PM

Guides are catching big Sandies by the hundreds out there right now
Posted By: Allfish

Re: PK - 03/14/16 04:09 PM

Went up Rock Creek yesterday to get out of the wind. The creek is loaded with sandies and bank fishermen were catching limits. There is a little color coming down the Brazos but other than that PK is clear even after the rains last week.
Posted By: Scott Abbott

Re: PK - 03/15/16 01:46 AM

Hello there! I never thought I would give a desperate plea but since there are so many sand bass right now I am hoping someone might want to help us out! smile My kids are on Spring Break and I have taken my daughter and son fishing for the last two days. We went to Eagle Mountain on Sunday...only one small black bass. We went to Lake Granbury today...only one baby black bass. At no point did my daughter put down her rod for two days straight and has come up empty two days in a row. I feel so bad for her! She is 10 and never really shown an interest in fishing until lately and I want to put her on some!! We are picking up minnows in the morning and heading to Possum Kindgdom tomorrow and I would LOVE to put her on some White Bass and let something pull on her rod...finally!

I have just scoured this forum and it looks like a week or so ago the area just west of Castello Island? I noticed on my plotter there is a hump just east of Castello Island as well. I also saw that there were some caught just west of the State Park on a drop off area it looks like that is labeled Creek Bed Cedar Creek on Navionics. I have never really fished for Sand Bass though and I continue to read how they are "up the creeks." Since we are putting in at the southern part of the lake at Bluff Creek Marina...is anyone willing to share any tips on how to catch these, etc. Are they all the way up the creek as far as I can take the boat?

I saw you mentioned Rock Creek DblHaul. I was looking at the map and I saw Rock Creek Camp Cabins and RV Parks and then a Y in the very northern part of the lake itself. Is this where you were saying they were holding up? Up the creek toward Frog Branch or up the larger arm to the west up the physical creek?

I honestly can't say thank you enough for anyone willing to share! Your welcome to text me as well if you rather. Scott - 817-458-2602.
Posted By: jbobo

Re: PK - 03/15/16 02:33 AM

That's a long haul to get to the north end of the lake. Public boat ramp or north D&D would be closer. They are on the right on 2951

Re: PK - 03/15/16 02:42 AM

Are they all on the North End? Is that our best bet?
Posted By: jbobo

Re: PK - 03/15/16 02:57 AM

Maybe one of the guys who live there can tell you. I haven't been south of cedar creek myself. It just seems the boat uses more fuel and it takes longer than driving, if there are no sand bass on that end.
Most of the sand bass and stripers are up the creeks and rivers making babies right now. There may be some on their way back down now. I'm not sure.
I caught most of my fish today, north of Costello Island. Some in the cutoff to the west of Costello, and some to the north about 1/2 mile up in one of the coves on the west bank. Fished 14 ft. to 28 ft. deep in 30 to 40 ft. of water. Most were small though. Bigger ones are up the creeks shallow. I guess. It has been a couple of weeks since I have been there.

Re: PK - 03/15/16 03:20 AM

That's more advice than I could ever ask for. Thank you sincerely.
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: PK - 03/15/16 03:08 PM

I think Jbobo is right about those fish spawning. Randy Wood gave me a cooler full of fillet remains for my garden and most of them are chock full of eggs. I bet those fish will be in high numbers when you find them.

Good luck. You won't need minnows for sand bass but they will bite on them. I am not even sure if there is a lure sand bass won't hit.
Posted By: Allfish

Re: PK - 03/15/16 05:54 PM

No need to boat all that distance. Take the highway toward Graham and turn off where the bridge crosses Rock Creek. There is a parking area under the bridge. Just cast a crappie jig, roadrunner, or similar into Rock Creek and hang on. Cast right out in the middle and make a steady retrieve. Post of pic of your little one catching a sand bass. The smile will be priceless.
Posted By: Mebo31

Re: PK - 03/15/16 07:30 PM

go where jbobo says!! his info was a huge help to us a few weeks ago. others gave info as well that we caught as well. i cant thank all of them enough for the enjoyment i seen on my kids faces catching
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum