Texas Fishing Forum

Do you tie a leader onto braid for dead sticking?

Posted By: Spencer J.

Do you tie a leader onto braid for dead sticking? - 01/27/16 04:47 PM

I've got braid on and I'm wondering if I should tie a leader on if I'm going to go dead stick for hybrids. Is it necessary? What do you think?
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Do you tie a leader onto braid for dead sticking? - 01/27/16 05:45 PM

I don't and I would not think it makes a difference.
Posted By: DU SOUTH5

Re: Do you tie a leader onto braid for dead sticking? - 01/27/16 06:45 PM

I do. 25# flouro. Personal preference I think. In clearer water it makes a difference I think.
Posted By: big D

Re: Do you tie a leader onto braid for dead sticking? - 01/27/16 07:53 PM

I do and have noticed a huge difference in calm conditions. I have also noticed a big difference when using a swivel verse knot for leader joining. I had rods with no leader (straight braid), leader joined with swivel, and leader joined with double uni knot. The only rod catching fish was the uni knot rig. We changed them out and started catching on all rods. May have been a coincidence, but I doubt it. I use 30lb green tuffline braid with 20lb vanish flouro for leader material. I twist the braid 6x and the flouro 3x when tying the double uni knot. Never had one slip!
Posted By: FishBeeLowMe

Re: Do you tie a leader onto braid for dead sticking? - 01/27/16 11:52 PM

Got a new product ComeN this spring. A UV glue for knots. Braid to mono is a good idea. If ya get hung up, hard to breat straight braid.
Posted By: SeaPro-Todd

Re: Do you tie a leader onto braid for dead sticking? - 01/27/16 11:53 PM

It depends on the clarity of the lake. Most lakes near me...straight braid.
Posted By: lenahorse

Re: Do you tie a leader onto braid for dead sticking? - 01/28/16 02:47 PM

Will have to say I have tried both ways braid with a leader worked much better for me, fished all last 2 winters with it both ways, I started using leaders and caught way more, I use about 4'either clear or green.
Posted By: captaincam3

Re: Do you tie a leader onto braid for dead sticking? - 01/28/16 10:23 PM

I agree on leader being better. Somedays doesn't seem to make difference, but in long run it does. You catch more fish on braid deadsticking too. more sensitive less stretch hooking light biters in 25ft of water. FG knots are new favorite. very easy and small and surpass in knot tests. Should be a video on FG knots.
Topped off with some UV Glue and you are the winner.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum