Texas Fishing Forum

Bridgeport with GoFishNow/1-23-16

Posted By: jbobo

Bridgeport with GoFishNow/1-23-16 - 01/24/16 04:01 PM

Well, I had the opportunity to meet a fellow TFFer yesterday afternoon. GOFISHNOW, who won the 'name my thumper' contest, drove out to BP for some hybrid fishing with me. We were on the water around 1:00, and started checking out places I've caught fish in the past. I haven't been to BP in a few weeks, so it was a guessing game.
Water temp was 46 degrees, stained, 6" visibility.
We tried white/ chartreuse slabs, white slabs, flukes (forgot what colors Ron tried)on white jigheads, and chartreuse jig heads with small flukes.
Fished water depths from 19 ft. to 70 ft. Mostly 20 ft. to 40 ft.
We marked fish almost every where we went between 20 ft. to 35 ft.
Lots of bait and small fish schools in the thermocline.
I got 3 small bumps late in the day, Ron got 2 small bumps about the same time.
Then we decided to troll a little while before dark, to change things up.
I wish I could say that was the ticket, but it was not.
I will have to make a few more trips out to figure out the catching part again, instead of devoting all my time to building thumpers.
I was very disappointed that Ron drove so far, for us not to be able to put fish in the boat.
I did enjoy our chance to get to know each other, and spend time pursuing our favorite pastime.
Ron is a wealth of knowledge in targeting sand bass, hybrid and striper.
If you get the chance to fish with him, don't miss it.
He is a very laid back, generous, considerate fellow fisherman.
Hopefully, he was not so disappointed he won't come back again at a later date.
Posted By: don the angler

Re: Bridgeport with GoFishNow/1-23-16 - 01/24/16 04:29 PM

I hate it when that happens. No matter what anyone says, fishing in the Winter most days is tough. However, I do not have any poor fishing reports for the Forum. The reason is that I have not fished since 12/22/15. bang
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Bridgeport with GoFishNow/1-23-16 - 01/24/16 04:40 PM

That's what we found at BP yesterday. We went to catch some bait, and check on our catfish holes, and took our dead sticks as well, it's hard to resist the chance to fight a striped fish. The lake is full of bait, lots of it. We found fish, presumably Hybrids in the usual spots we fish. I had two thumps and had my line pushed up twice. We had two rigs with 3" flukes and two with a 5" fluke and a 2.5" fluke. We have not been on that lake since October, so it was a good day regardless.
Posted By: GoFishNow

Re: Bridgeport with GoFishNow/1-23-16 - 01/24/16 06:24 PM

Thanks for the kind words Jeff. I really appreciate the invite to give it a try and don't regret going. Meeting you in person and getting on the water was a treat. It was my first time to fish Bridgeport and I look forward to coming back. Me getting skunked has happened on every lake I ever fished, it's all part of the fun!
The last few years, I have fished about once a week, year round. Last winter the fishing was steller. Going from a drought to a flood has changed everything and fishing is vastly more difficult. Not saying you can't have some really good days but it is not what is was.
We should all be thankful that the lakes are full once again and that a great spawn took place last spring. Once the lake levels stabilize, and the water clears up, the fishing will improve.
Posted By: SeaPro-Todd

Re: Bridgeport with GoFishNow/1-23-16 - 01/25/16 04:39 AM

Nice read Jeff and Ron. Buddies tackled hubbard and twok yesterday, Saturday, and the results were the same as well. Mother nature won. Doh! But they still enjoyed being out there smile
Posted By: gborg

Re: Bridgeport with GoFishNow/1-23-16 - 01/25/16 12:35 PM

Wow, the fish are there. I was planning another trip this week. Results will be posted. I guess this is why we call it fishing and not ketching.
Posted By: Dennis Christian

Re: Bridgeport with GoFishNow/1-23-16 - 01/25/16 04:56 PM

My theory is that lakes are not as clear this year due to all the rain, and when the fish go deep and anglers try to dead stick them, the fish can't see the baits. With only 6 inch visibility at the surface you can imagine how difficult it is for fish to see a bait 30 ft down.
Posted By: jbobo

Re: Bridgeport with GoFishNow/1-23-16 - 01/26/16 05:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Dennis Christian
My theory is that lakes are not as clear this year due to all the rain, and when the fish go deep and anglers try to dead stick them, the fish can't see the baits. With only 6 inch visibility at the surface you can imagine how difficult it is for fish to see a bait 30 ft down.

^^^^ This is my excuse! lol I do agree with you though, Mr. Christian.
Posted By: RANDY WOOD

Re: Bridgeport with GoFishNow/1-23-16 - 01/26/16 06:30 AM

Originally Posted By: GoFishNow
Thanks for the kind words Jeff. I really appreciate the invite to give it a try and don't regret going. Meeting you in person and getting on the water was a treat. It was my first time to fish Bridgeport and I look forward to coming back. Me getting skunked has happened on every lake I ever fished, it's all part of the fun!
The last few years, I have fished about once a week, year round. Last winter the fishing was steller. Going from a drought to a flood has changed everything and fishing is vastly more difficult. Not saying you can't have some really good days but it is not what is was.
We should all be thankful that the lakes are full once again and that a great spawn took place last spring. Once the lake levels stabilize, and the water clears up, the fishing will improve.

As Jeff can also tell you the fishing was 100 times more consistent at PK last year before the lake filled up.
It's clearing and the fishing is getting better. I would definetly agree that stained water has slowed the bite for many reasons out West.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum