Texas Fishing Forum

Hubbard shad this time of year?

Posted By: Whaler Ben

Hubbard shad this time of year? - 01/16/16 10:13 PM

Just wondering if anyone has any insight on where the shad might be this time of year and how to catch them? Does anyone have luck pull them out of deep water? Any tips or insight would be much appreciated! Headed out there tomorrow. Anyone else planning on fishing there tomorrow?
Posted By: Dipson

Re: Hubbard shad this time of year? - 01/16/16 11:06 PM

Last time this year there would be huge schools of shad sitting on the bottom near the dam or levees in 30 ft of water. I never had much luck catching them till I started using a taped net with at least 50 feet of handline. GL
Posted By: Chaparro75

Re: Hubbard shad this time of year? - 01/19/16 02:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Dipson
Last time this year there would be huge schools of shad sitting on the bottom near the dam or levees in 30 ft of water. I never had much luck catching them till I started using a taped net with at least 50 feet of handline. GL

What is a taped net?
Posted By: Dipson

Re: Hubbard shad this time of year? - 01/19/16 03:43 PM

Its a Cast net with actual tape on the entire outside edge of the net. It allows the cast net to open and stay open all the way to the bottom, if you use an untapped cast net, it starts to close as soon as it drops into the water which isnt a problem if you are shallow, but past 20 ft your 7 ft cast net is probably only 3 foot.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum