Texas Fishing Forum

Shad below Tawakoni Spillway

Posted By: BankAngler50

Shad below Tawakoni Spillway - 12/08/15 02:56 AM

A lot of shad went over Tawakoni Spillway... the river below is literally choked with shad
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: Shad below Tawakoni Spillway - 12/08/15 03:21 AM

wow
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Shad below Tawakoni Spillway - 12/08/15 06:01 AM

I'm not sure if that's gonna be enough. You better throw one more time.

Re: Shad below Tawakoni Spillway - 12/08/15 04:53 PM

Lol, that was the second net, I actually casted 4 nets total, every net was like that... 2/3 were 2-4" shad, I was after 6-7" or bigger shad... First net made mistake of opening bottom to let most shad out in 2 fow ended with a pile of small shad death on dry ground,... Second net took a quick pic then dump the shad in 1 fow and pick out bigger shad by hands, most of them swam away of cause, that's why I net two more nets to get my gizzard shad.

To give everyone an idea how thick shad were, they look like bed of grass as fare as my eyes could see, they would open up as I waded through and closed back behind me... every everywhere I waded it was the same thick bed of shad.
Posted By: Let's go

Re: Shad below Tawakoni Spillway - 12/08/15 05:45 PM

How's the fishing there?

Re: Shad below Tawakoni Spillway - 12/08/15 07:00 PM

I was there from 2-3:30 pm, was the only person there then about 10 anglers come and go, didn't see anyone catch any fish, though. I threw bucktail for about 10 minutes not a single bump. Soaked bleeding gizzard shad in the deeper channel area got two good pull down missed both, both time I was waist deep walking among shad, it was fascinating! Lol However, I chat with a local gentleman who came to get shad for his juglines said a guy caught a few good stripers at the very spot I was fishing a few days b4. I am sure there are fish in that river, getting them to bite amid all the bait so thick in that river might be tough.
Posted By: Sandblaster

Re: Shad below Tawakoni Spillway - 12/08/15 08:19 PM

Dang!
Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: Shad below Tawakoni Spillway - 12/09/15 05:03 AM

Fishing is slow back there...we went to chk it out this evening. Bait is back there but it's pretty small. 2-3"

Re: Shad below Tawakoni Spillway - 12/10/15 05:11 PM

Put on waders wade down to waist deep walk around slowly until you see bigger silver flashes then cast your net, that's how I got gizzard shad. Fyi, Threadfin shad look like minnows dark in color, what you want are silver blades flashing those are bigger shad.

Re: Shad below Tawakoni Spillway - 12/12/15 02:28 AM

Yep fat hibrids and football size whitebass are being caught at the spillway and in the river. Plenty of gizzard shad cast toward the middle of the river.
Posted By: Let's go

Re: Shad below Tawakoni Spillway - 12/12/15 02:47 AM

With lures or live bait?

Re: Shad below Tawakoni Spillway - 12/12/15 03:00 AM

Lures, cork and flukes for hybrids, mepps for whitebass, hybrids toward the spillway, whitebass in the river. thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum