Texas Fishing Forum

Nice Big striper from Possum Kingdom

Posted By: PKfishin

Nice Big striper from Possum Kingdom - 11/01/15 02:21 PM

Finally persuaded the wife to take a pic so I could post this. Caught this on live shad just outside of Neely Slough. Been catching some crappie of docks there and noticed a large amount of fish under this dock so I spot locked on it. The spot lock actually backed me up into a slip. This fish got on almost immediately. I had my drag set very loose due to the fact I've been catching lots of small stripers. If the drag is set loose it's almost like fishing with a bobber, as the smaller fish get a chance to get the shad all the way in their mouth so can hook them. This guy did not need that, as his mouth would have looked good on a big largemouth bass. I thought he would spool the reel until I tightened the drag down. I had a second fish on one of the other poles that got off while I fought this guy. He was about 30 inches long.

PK has been tough fishing this year. I've caught lots of stripers but few keepers. There's lots of little ones and bait so the future looks good.

Posted By: SaltyDawg88

Re: Nice Big striper from Possum Kingdom - 11/01/15 02:31 PM

Nice fish!
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Nice Big striper from Possum Kingdom - 11/01/15 02:45 PM

That's nice, congrats. My son and I caught 180-200 stripers in that lake this year, and possibly 20 keepers out of them. I also see a good future in it.
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Nice Big striper from Possum Kingdom - 11/01/15 03:12 PM

nice

are you in The Cliffs?
Posted By: Luke57

Re: Nice Big striper from Possum Kingdom - 11/01/15 04:52 PM

Nice catch
Posted By: BankAngler50

Re: Nice Big striper from Possum Kingdom - 11/01/15 04:55 PM

Nice fish thumb
Posted By: Joe Slab

Re: Nice Big striper from Possum Kingdom - 11/02/15 12:58 AM

Nice work Mike! Thats a really nice fish. Blacked striper tonight? cheers
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Nice Big striper from Possum Kingdom - 11/02/15 03:09 AM

Nice fish! cheers

Re: Nice Big striper from Possum Kingdom - 11/02/15 03:16 PM

Better ration than I am seeing TCK73. I'm getting about one keeper a week and some days I bet I catch 75 stripers. Unreal how many small fish are in that lake right now. Amazing what happens to PK when we get enough rain for a striper spawn.

Re: Nice Big striper from Possum Kingdom - 11/02/15 03:17 PM

I am, but this pic is at my house in Allen. Wife's been having some asthma due to the high ragweed and didn't go out with me.

Re: Nice Big striper from Possum Kingdom - 11/02/15 03:20 PM

No Joe, Got too many crappie for that. If the wife would have been with me to take a pic I would have released this big boy. She says she likes striper better and refers to crappie as "fried mashed potatoes", but I like crappie better. Striper are definitely more fun to catch, but I still prefer crappie. Been getting a few PK crappie. That's why I was fishing that dock. Those big crappie will go to town on live shad.
Posted By: Axman9

Re: Nice Big striper from Possum Kingdom - 11/02/15 03:55 PM

Very nice!!!! Bet that was a hoot!!

Re: Nice Big striper from Possum Kingdom - 11/03/15 07:14 PM

It sure was Ax. The few stripers I get at PK have to do me since Texoma's stripers left for the river. Can't wait until all the little ones grow up.
Posted By: MtnDew

Re: Nice Big striper from Possum Kingdom - 11/04/15 01:35 AM

Awesome , glad to see you got a nice one.

Re: Nice Big striper from Possum Kingdom - 11/04/15 03:15 PM

Been a tough year for stripers on my part Mtdew. I lost Texoma then the flood gates opened at PK and they all went to the river. I see that people are catching a bunch of 20 inch stripers in Granbury now. I figure they came from PK, as we were chock full of them until the flood.

The future looks good for PK. There are lots of small stripers and huge amounts of bait. Big'uns are just hard to come by now.
Posted By: meat eater

Re: Nice Big striper from Possum Kingdom - 11/04/15 09:03 PM

Gby had lots of barely under stripers last year & 20" + fish were common this year before the rains and gate openings. River chain lakes are part of a give & take ecosystem when water levels are being managed. Gby lost lots of it's numbers to whitney if that helps in your sob story. Funny how you do not hear anyone whining about getting lots of another lakes fish during a release. If you want a real sob story- kayak from pk dam to fm 4 and count all the dead stripers washed on the banks, then turn around and stop in all the deep pools on your way back & count all the "near death" pale with Grey striped stripers you see trying to scratch out a slow moving last meal. Your count will be well in the hundreds.
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Nice Big striper from Possum Kingdom - 11/04/15 10:46 PM

Nice fish. Good job. woot
Posted By: Gene01

Re: Nice Big striper from Possum Kingdom - 11/05/15 05:29 AM

i bet in febuary on texoma when they do a gill net survey all the people in denial about the major number of stripers that went down river they will see that texoma inherited a bunch of sandbass and lost a major amount of their larger stripers because of the flooding this year. it is sad to hear but we will find out the truth in febuary

Re: Nice Big striper from Possum Kingdom - 11/05/15 10:50 PM

I don't think I intended a sob story. Just stated a fact that large, very large numbers of striper went out of PK when the BRA opened the flood gates. Does not surprise me the stripers that were not caught are dying now. I fished the river a few months back and caught a few "dachau" looking survivors on small perch. I got a limit of 20 inch plus fish but there was little meat on them.

I'll make do with what we have. Crappie fishing will pick up for a while.
Posted By: Gene01

Re: Nice Big striper from Possum Kingdom - 11/06/15 04:37 AM

it is not a sob story. it is the truth about texoma im sure they lost a bunch of stripers . that is why the lake fishing is taking a long time and is still not even a 1/3 of the way back to the way the fishing was before the flood this year.

Re: Nice Big striper from Possum Kingdom - 11/06/15 02:27 PM

I hear you on that Gene. Texoma will take a couple years to recover.
Posted By: Possumkingdomtackle

Re: Nice Big striper from Possum Kingdom - 11/06/15 03:44 PM

Very nice fish
Posted By: David Earl

Re: Nice Big striper from Possum Kingdom - 11/07/15 11:41 PM

Nice
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum