Texas Fishing Forum

Catching shad on PK??

Posted By: mahoo

Catching shad on PK?? - 10/16/15 09:11 PM

I have recently gotten back into striper fishing. I haven't had much luck netting any shad at PK, does anyone have any tips? Thanks!
Posted By: Possumkingdomtackle

Re: Catching shad on PK?? - 10/16/15 10:38 PM

Went fishing the other day and just about every cove is full of them, you might try around south d&d there's some good soft bottom on one side that's easy on your cast net not to mention that's a pretty good starting point to find some stripers on the surface in the morning
Posted By: Easeup

Re: Catching shad on PK?? - 10/17/15 01:25 AM

don't wait until the sun comes up to get your bait. when the water is clear like PK they will swim out from under your net if it is light.
Posted By: mahoo

Re: Catching shad on PK?? - 10/17/15 01:55 PM

Good deal, thank you both for your help.
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: Catching shad on PK?? - 10/17/15 08:29 PM

I have been catching threadfins about every day lately due to the fact the fish wont hit lures much anymore. Here's what I do:

1. Go up any slough or creek
2. Lift your trolling motor up so that it is barely in the water when you stand on the front of the boat.
3. Get everything out of the way and get the net ready.
4. Slowly drive along the bank looking for a school of shad. If you see fish attacking minnows go toward that and most often the shad will come right to you.
5. kill the motor when you see them
6. drop the net over them as they come by the boat. Pull up when you see flashing sliver dollars.

That's been my tactic for the last few weeks. I haven't fished shad in the past unless a guide caught them. I never need more than one throw.
Posted By: RANDY WOOD

Re: Catching shad on PK?? - 10/20/15 12:20 AM

Go at night and go to the upper end of PK.
I put in early and hit the back of creeks before daybreak.
They can be caught during the day in dirty water way up the lake
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum