Texas Fishing Forum

Are striper good table fair?

Posted By: WeaponOfBassDestruction

Are striper good table fair? - 08/06/15 02:01 AM

Simple question here....I've been catching a bunch of small to medium sized stripers lately and was simply wondering if they fry up well?
Posted By: DU SOUTH5

Re: Are striper good table fair? - 08/06/15 02:32 AM

Personally I don't fry them but Blackened, baked, or grilled they are very good. Crappie and catfish are for frying IMHO
Posted By: BADLANDER

Re: Are striper good table fair? - 08/06/15 02:51 AM

Yep rub in creole and grill... They are fsmn good cut the red out of course
Posted By: jbobo

Re: Are striper good table fair? - 08/06/15 03:02 AM

Soak the fillets overnight in a bowl of water in the refrigerator, lay out on a piece of foil, put favorite seasoning and greek seasoning, a dab of butter on each piece, foil on top, sealed all the way around, grill on med/low (gas grill) for 20 minutes. goes well with sweet potato frys.

Re: Are striper good table fair? - 08/06/15 05:05 AM

Alright thanks guys!
Posted By: TJH

Re: Are striper good table fair? - 08/06/15 10:11 AM

Hybrids are a little different.

Get two cedar shingles and soak them in water for 2 hours. Take the filet of your fish and do not remove the skin. Season with butter and Toni's and two cut lemons on top. Place one shingle on bottom and place the filet skin down on the wood plank then place the other soaked shingle on top of the fish. If you can get access to it. (I use my neighbors banana tree) wrap in banana leaf and tie with baking string. Place on grill and cook for 20-30 minutes. Now take it off the grill carefully and cut the cooking twine and unwrap it.Make sure you use pot holders since it will be hot. Throw away the leaf and string. This part is extremely important. Hold it by the bottom shingle and taking the top shingle scrape the fish into the trash and eat the shingles.

I really don't like the taste Hybrids much so I don't eat them. I think its best to let them live and grow.
Posted By: River Mongrel

Re: Are striper good table fair? - 08/06/15 04:08 PM

Striper fried in peanut oil cant be beat IMO
Posted By: big D

Re: Are striper good table fair? - 08/06/15 04:58 PM

My new favorite! Cut striper and/or hybrid fillets into 1.5" cubes and soak in Louisiana Red Hot sauce for 30min while you are getting oil hot, tartar sauce made, and drain pan ready. Shake soaked fillets in Pioneer cornmeal and fry in canola or peanut oil till floating. This recipe is killer for the thicker fish fillets! I do cut all of the red out as well!
Posted By: eleanor

Re: Are striper good table fair? - 08/06/15 05:17 PM

I like Striper grilled, sauteed, baked. Not my favorite fried. If you think it too "fishy" (it is a fish, after all) soak overnight in milk. Used to do that with large bluefish fillets, made them very mild. Stripers are a firm fleshed, white meat fish. They lend themselves to just about any cooking method -- please do cut out the red meat, it imparts a very strong flavor.
Posted By: PBrain

Re: Are striper good table fair? - 08/06/15 06:06 PM

Personally, I'll put them up against nearly any fish as long as you cut out ALL of the red meat...the center red stripe of the fillet and the thin red meat along the outside (skin side). I take the skin off. The red meat is what gives it the 'fishy' flavor. I end up with 2 long fillets that can be cubed and fried, or baked on the shingles! But keep the fish...you'll enjoy! Been enjoying Proctor hybrids & Whitney stripes for 20+ years.
Posted By: Budward

Re: Are striper good table fair? - 08/06/15 06:29 PM

They are excellent as long as you cut out the red meat. Also I let the filets soak in milk a minimum of 2 hours before i cook, sometimes ill let them sit overnight, the milk takes all the fishy flavor out, just take out of the milk and put in a gallon size ziplock bag full of your favorite fish fry (i like zatarans), shake it all up real good and then fry till it floats.
Posted By: gotta fish

Re: Are striper good table fair? - 08/06/15 08:10 PM

Worst eaten fish out their throw them back don't listen to these other guys they be lying to you! smile
Posted By: karpbuster

Re: Are striper good table fair? - 08/06/15 08:57 PM

Yes, just cut out the muscle.
Posted By: HolyGrail

Re: Are striper good table fair? - 08/06/15 09:12 PM

As others have said... Cut out red meat and cook in butter with blackening seasoning. Good stuff - goes well with some yellow rice and mixed vegetables.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Are striper good table fair? - 08/06/15 09:46 PM

I think striper is nasty.
Posted By: River Mongrel

Re: Are striper good table fair? - 08/06/15 09:51 PM

Me to! Please give them to me I will get rid of all of them.
Posted By: Brocephus

Re: Are striper good table fair? - 08/06/15 10:34 PM

leave skin on, Soak overnight in saltwater. Cut out red/brown middle. Season w/ Tony's or Blackened Redfish seasoning. Smoke it skin side down over hardwood smoke until done (firm and flakey). Dab it with butter and lemon. Garnish with a little cilantro and green onion, maybe even a little basil or mint. As seen on tv from a BBQ joint in New Orleans using redfish. They top theirs but crab but you could try some crawfish tails!
Posted By: CTW

Re: Are striper good table fair? - 08/07/15 12:35 AM

Bring a pot of crawfish boil seasoning to a boil. Cut the filets into chucks. Drop the chunks into the boil, only takes a couple minutes to cook through and you don't want them to fall apart. Remove the filets and serve with cocktail sauce.

Very easy to do with little to no prep work. Always a crowd favorite.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Are striper good table fair? - 08/07/15 05:27 AM

get a cedar plank, put the striper on it and put it on the grill, cook it to a crisp, and when you're done, throw out the striper and eat the plank

Oh wait that's a gar recipe. In all honesty I need to try some of these recipes because I can't eat it...must be my preparation.
Posted By: gborg

Re: Are striper good table fair? - 08/07/15 11:50 AM

Remove the red meat , soak in sea salted water over night. The fishy taste comes from the red-meat and oils in the meat, Sea salt in water removes @ 95 %. Amount of sea salt = 1 tble spoon per quart of water.
Posted By: Ruff n Redi

Re: Are striper good table fair? - 08/07/15 12:15 PM

What's a crappie fisherman doing on here? LOL I can feed 2 people with one striper and it takes 10 5" crapie to feed them. About the same taste if you take out the read meat. The striper will grill better than the crappie. If you don't like fish taste buy chicken, it is cheaper anyway.
roflmao
fish
Posted By: Jay Brown

Re: Are striper good table fair? - 08/07/15 06:01 PM

Most people that do not like stripers have not had it cleaned or prepared correctly, or both of these. I have fried it, made ceviche out of it, and grilled it. All of it was great. remember what folks said about cutting the dark bloody piece out.
Posted By: sapalmer

Re: Are striper good table fair? - 08/07/15 09:12 PM

Marinate in teriyaki
Grill/smoke over mesquite
Serve with pickled beats and bread and butter pickles
Posted By: Allan W

Re: Are striper good table fair? - 08/07/15 10:59 PM

Serve with pickled beats and bread and butter pickles

barf

Re: Are striper good table fair? - 08/08/15 01:12 AM

Wow! Great ideas guys!! Thanks for all the replies, everyone has been a great help!!

Re: Are striper good table fair? - 08/08/15 01:12 AM

Wow! Great ideas guys!! Thanks for all the replies, everyone has been a great help!!
Posted By: TheGizzard

Re: Are striper good table fair? - 08/08/15 02:30 AM

Now that we got the taste out of they way,whats up with the mercury and how does it get into our bodies of water.At what level is it safe to eat.
Posted By: Captjohn

Re: Are striper good table fair? - 08/08/15 08:22 PM

We eat the heck out of striper. Fried, blackened, grilled.
Clean well, all red meat out, cut into the size you like, salt and pepper and cornmeal. Or whatever spices you prefer. Cook till done. Fantastic!!!
Posted By: Slick Head

Re: Are striper good table fair? - 08/08/15 08:36 PM

+1 on soaking them in milk. Marinating them in teriyaki then to the grill. Awesome!!!
Posted By: kerr dog

Re: Are striper good table fair? - 08/09/15 10:34 AM

We like it better than crappie. It is all in the preparation.
Posted By: Tx Tree Grower

Re: Are striper good table fair? - 08/09/15 03:57 PM

To me all the striped fish (whites, hybrids, and striper) have one thing in common when it comes to cooking and eating. Fresh is key. When they are fresh they are good just about any way you cook them. For whatever reason none of the striped fish freeze well. All of them tend to lose their texture after being frozen. I've tried freezing them every way possible and have not found a way that will maintain texture. Also in the heat of summer getting the fish on ice quickly after catching helps maintain good flavor.
Posted By: Allan W

Re: Are striper good table fair? - 08/09/15 04:42 PM

Originally Posted By: kubroe
To me all the striped fish (whites, hybrids, and striper) have one thing in common when it comes to cooking and eating. Fresh is key. When they are fresh they are good just about any way you cook them. For whatever reason none of the striped fish freeze well. All of them tend to lose their texture after being frozen. I've tried freezing them every way possible and have not found a way that will maintain texture. Also in the heat of summer getting the fish on ice quickly after catching helps maintain good flavor.

Word
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum