Texas Fishing Forum

Bait Tank

Posted By: JavelinJ

Bait Tank - 08/03/15 09:35 PM

Anyone built one like this? Headed to the store and gonna build one to see how it does. It will have to keep them alive longer than my live well.

Posted By: kerr dog

Re: Bait Tank - 08/03/15 10:58 PM

I have and it works great on minnows on the hottest days of the summer. Mine has a wooden lid made of marine plywood. It will keep shad iced down all night if I don't have minnows in it. Build it you want regret it.
Posted By: JavelinJ

Re: Bait Tank - 08/04/15 12:42 AM

Decided to go with this instead. Would have cost me about as much to build one and with the travel I am doing right now, freeing up time is a good thing.

http://www.amazon.com/Marine-Metal-PBC-1...saver+10+gallon
Posted By: benp

Re: Bait Tank - 08/04/15 03:42 PM

if there is no good filter it will be for not, at least that is my experience.
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Bait Tank - 08/04/15 08:37 PM

I have an older Igloo water cooler I use with just a bubble maker in it. It will keep a few lbs of minnows nice and frisky all day long. Without a pump recirculating water, shad won't last long if there's very many it. Better than a 5gal bucket with nothing though. I plan on putting a pump on it with a good filter, just haven't had to have it yet.
Posted By: nitro blue mike

Re: Bait Tank - 08/04/15 08:58 PM

Has anyone ever converted a livewell on a center console into a bait tank that would keep shad alive successfully?
Posted By: liketofishalot

Re: Bait Tank - 08/04/15 11:27 PM

You can buy plastic sheets at lowes and convert anything that's square into an oval
Had a rectangle cooler, one of the big ones, and put the sheets on both ends inside and made it an oval
Put a circulation pump in and put a 2" piece of pvc in line on the discharge hose
Pvc pipe about 8" long with screw on fittings bushed down to the size of the hose
Fill the pipe with pillow stuffing from hobby lobby
Replace the pillow stuffing every 4-6 hours after its clogged up with shad nastiness
From the effluent side of the filter go to a suction cup spray bar attached to top of cooler for aeration
Worked fantastiC
I have a gray line tank now that a good friend donated to my cause
Posted By: HolyGrail

Re: Bait Tank - 08/05/15 03:06 PM

Originally Posted By: txfour
Decided to go with this instead. Would have cost me about as much to build one and with the travel I am doing right now, freeing up time is a good thing.

http://www.amazon.com/Marine-Metal-PBC-1...saver+10+gallon

Good luck. That will not keep shad alive for very long.
Posted By: River Mongrel

Re: Bait Tank - 08/06/15 04:41 PM

Originally Posted By: liketofishalot
You can buy plastic sheets at lowes and convert anything that's square into an oval
Had a rectangle cooler, one of the big ones, and put the sheets on both ends inside and made it an oval
Put a circulation pump in and put a 2" piece of pvc in line on the discharge hose
Pvc pipe about 8" long with screw on fittings bushed down to the size of the hose
Fill the pipe with pillow stuffing from hobby lobby
Replace the pillow stuffing every 4-6 hours after its clogged up with shad nastiness
From the effluent side of the filter go to a suction cup spray bar attached to top of cooler for aeration
Worked fantastiC
I have a gray line tank now that a good friend donated to my cause
This!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum