Texas Fishing Forum

Shiners for stripers?

Posted By: Jr. B.

Shiners for stripers? - 08/03/15 06:14 PM

Anyone ever had any luck using shiners for striper fishing?
Posted By: JRR

Re: Shiners for stripers? - 08/03/15 06:34 PM

only when there have been large shad die offs on Texoma
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: Shiners for stripers? - 08/04/15 04:01 PM

I've caught stripers at both PK and Texoma on shiners. Don't think they are as good of a bait as shad but shiners are easier to keep alive.

I think when they're bitin they are easy to catch on a wide variety of stuff. In the dog days like we have now, not much seems to work. I trolled and cast the lures yesterday that normally work on PK and NADA. Went up a creek and caught some live shad and still could not buy a bite. I'm sure someone will say they limited out in 30 minutes, but this was the truth I got yesterday.
Posted By: River Mongrel

Re: Shiners for stripers? - 08/05/15 10:21 PM

Originally Posted By: PKfishin
I've caught stripers at both PK and Texoma on shiners. Don't think they are as good of a bait as shad but shiners are easier to keep alive.

I think when they're bitin they are easy to catch on a wide variety of stuff. In the dog days like we have now, not much seems to work. I trolled and cast the lures yesterday that normally work on PK and NADA. Went up a creek and caught some live shad and still could not buy a bite. I'm sure someone will say they limited out in 30 minutes, but this was the truth I got yesterday.
Thhats when ya use cut shad
Posted By: Meadowlark

Re: Shiners for stripers? - 08/06/15 02:37 AM

In my experience, shiners can work very well at certain times....even out fish shad.

Early spring time running shiners behind planer boards is the best for shiner fishing for me.
Posted By: Lovfldx

Re: Shiners for stripers? - 08/06/15 01:24 PM

My brother in law and I, when we used to fish Texoma regularly, mostly during the winter, almost always used shiners and had very good results. I am talking about shiners in the 6-7 inch range, used to buy them at the Tackle Box. Don't know if that store is even still there, but we fished em same way as live shad, and they most definitely worked.

Rudy
Posted By: Fritz423

Re: Shiners for stripers? - 08/07/15 10:10 AM

I have a pond full of big shiners. I'll have to give them a serious try.
Posted By: Ruff n Redi

Re: Shiners for stripers? - 08/07/15 12:21 PM

I have always been told, rule of thumb is that the best live bait comes from where you are fishing. Shad is the prefered food for stripers, but when the are biteing they will feed on anything including shrimp and worms. I have caught them on Texoma on everything in my tackle box at one time or the other, but live shad, then cut shad, then what ever you can find that they will hit.
fish
Posted By: BaffinBay

Re: Shiners for stripers? - 08/11/15 11:32 PM

They will also destroy bluegills.
Posted By: bassackwards dav

Re: Shiners for stripers? - 08/13/15 02:54 AM

I used to always take some shiners , but mainly in case it was hard to find shad. But yes they will work but if I have shad Ive almost always had better luck on them. for stripers , but caught a lot big large mouths at Whitney on shiners fishing flats with cover.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum