Texas Fishing Forum

Worth watching. TPW Striper/Hybrid Production.

Posted By: TJH

Worth watching. TPW Striper/Hybrid Production. - 07/28/15 11:38 PM

Striped Bass Production. Stripers in Production - Texas Parks and Wildlife [Official]
Posted By: Captjohn

Re: Worth watching. TPW Striper/Hybrid Production. - 07/29/15 01:44 AM

Thank you for posting this link. Very interesting.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Worth watching. TPW Striper/Hybrid Production. - 07/29/15 02:43 AM

Neat video. It does not happen like I thought it did.
Posted By: Ruff n Redi

Re: Worth watching. TPW Striper/Hybrid Production. - 07/29/15 01:50 PM

Very good video. I know of only one lake in Texas and one in Oklahoma where they reproduce. Texoma and Kaw Reservoir. There may be more, but those are the 2 I know of. I have heard that the reproduce in PK, but not sure about that.
fish
Posted By: Slabndeep

Re: Worth watching. TPW Striper/Hybrid Production. - 07/29/15 01:50 PM

Very cool video! Thanks Doc!
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Worth watching. TPW Striper/Hybrid Production. - 07/29/15 03:59 PM

Great video
Posted By: Meadowlark

Re: Worth watching. TPW Striper/Hybrid Production. - 07/29/15 09:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Ruff n Redi
Very good video. I know of only one lake in Texas and one in Oklahoma where they reproduce. Texoma and Kaw Reservoir. There may be more, but those are the 2 I know of. I have heard that the reproduce in PK, but not sure about that.
fish

They reproduce in Livingston...both below the dam and in the main lake. I was part of the study that proved it!!
Posted By: Filletmaker

Re: Worth watching. TPW Striper/Hybrid Production. - 07/29/15 10:11 PM

very cool video. thanks
Posted By: SeaPro-Todd

Re: Worth watching. TPW Striper/Hybrid Production. - 07/29/15 10:38 PM

I watched this video a few times last year when someone posted it on here. But I still enjoyed watching it again. smile Thanks for the post! Those brude stripers are HUGE!
Posted By: Yaffe (Jeff)

Re: Worth watching. TPW Striper/Hybrid Production. - 07/29/15 11:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Meadowlark
fish

They reproduce in Livingston...both below the dam and in the main lake. I was part of the study that proved it!!

Strange that they mention in the video that they do not reproduce naturally in Texas...at the 7:55 minute mark.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Worth watching. TPW Striper/Hybrid Production. - 07/30/15 01:45 AM

Good video. Thanks for sharing. cheers
Posted By: Flipside Outdoors

Re: Worth watching. TPW Striper/Hybrid Production. - 07/30/15 03:10 AM

Cool video thanks for sharing!
Posted By: TIM CLINE

Re: Worth watching. TPW Striper/Hybrid Production. - 07/30/15 05:47 PM

They are correct they do not reproduce in Texas Water in any lake or River at a high enough rate to support itself. The Red River is Oklahoma water. Texoma is the only lake that supports itself with reproduction in Texas or Oklahoma. Livingston has been stocked with stripers almost every year since 1977 only 4 years it was not stocked..

Re: Worth watching. TPW Striper/Hybrid Production. - 07/30/15 10:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Yaffe (Jeff)
Originally Posted By: Meadowlark
fish

Strange that they mention in the video that they do not reproduce naturally in Texas...at the 7:55 minute mark.

Well, not everyone knows everything, LOL...including a few on this forum, LOL.

From the report dated March 18, 2013 entitled "Striped Bass Stocking Evaluation of Lake Livingston and Livingston Tailrace" the following summary statement appears "Naturally-produced YOY dominated the catch in both Lake Livingston and the downstream river, indicating striped bass are successfully spawning in both areas."

I am personally cited in the report for my contributions to the study so I take some pride in these findings....Livingston has a reproducing population of stripers both in the lake and below the dam....you can't argue with science, but some will.

Posted By: Fishing Frank

Re: Worth watching. TPW Striper/Hybrid Production. - 07/31/15 12:12 PM

That makes that fishing license worth every penny. Great report and video. Thanks Texas Parks and Wild Life. Oh and the Corp of Engineers. banana

Re: Worth watching. TPW Striper/Hybrid Production. - 07/31/15 12:37 PM

Read page 8!
http://www.trinityra.org/downloads/INTRA/67426%20TRA_Summer%202014.pdf

Re: Worth watching. TPW Striper/Hybrid Production. - 07/31/15 01:43 PM

The page you referenced used the qualifier "sustaining". The only real way to determine if Livingston has a "sustaining" spawn is to stop stockings....and the State will never do that and risk the most successful stocking program in Texas and arguably the Nation.

In this thread the statement I responded to was this:

fish

You added the qualifying words “sustaining”, for whatever reason, to the discussion.

Livingston has a substantial striper spawn both in the lake and below the dam…whether or not that is sustaining is as yet undetermined.

Re: Worth watching. TPW Striper/Hybrid Production. - 07/31/15 02:18 PM

Not sure who you or what you arguing with just thought the page was a good read concerning lake livingston.
Posted By: TJH

Re: Worth watching. TPW Striper/Hybrid Production. - 07/31/15 05:02 PM

Hummm....Just think about it... "since 1977" means to me, down in a deep dark place in that lake the mother of all stripers is laying there waiting for my shad and line to slip down in her face and set the national record.
Posted By: Anchorman

Re: Worth watching. TPW Striper/Hybrid Production. - 07/31/15 05:26 PM

That's a very interesting video. Thanks for sharing it. It's good to know some of the history of how stripers got into our lakes.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum