Texas Fishing Forum

You towed my jon boat on evening of 7/27

Posted By: Stick'em

You towed my jon boat on evening of 7/27 - 07/28/15 05:24 PM

Just want the thank the two gentlemen once again who towed my wife and I for a little ways, and cut our "trolling motor" return to the boat ramp in half. Apparently our fuel line squeeze bulb started leaking and wouldn't allow gas pressure to hold to the motor................once we parted ways, my wife and I decided to hold the gas can high above the motor and tilt it so that gas would flow down to the motor via gravity..........let this be a lesson for anyone else this happens to; you may look really dumb holding your gas container way high above the motor, but it's a simple and temporary fix that will get you back to the boat ramp.

Thanks again gentlemen; hope that I see you out on the water again, and can repay you in some way.
Posted By: JimmyP

Re: You towed my jon boat on evening of 7/27 - 07/28/15 05:45 PM

Why didnt they take you all the way to the ramp?

Re: You towed my jon boat on evening of 7/27 - 07/29/15 01:28 AM

I thanked them and told them that it was good enough...........we didn't have anywhere to be.......don't know what the problem is with the boat.........replaced the fuel line and fuel filter and it still won't run.
Posted By: fmclee

Re: You towed my jon boat on evening of 7/27 - 07/29/15 08:05 AM

Fuel pump?

Re: You towed my jon boat on evening of 7/27 - 07/29/15 11:14 PM

well..........new plugs, new line from gas tank to motor, new fuel filter.....

pulled the "out" flow line off of the fuel pump and pumped the primer bulb........no gas came out at all, only air with substantial pressure. The guy at the outboard shop told me to do this, and if no fuel came out, that the pump was bad.......my thought is that if air is coming out with substantial pressure, but not gas, then not enough fuel is getting to the fuel pump...........but i'm no mechanic.

What are your thoughts?
Posted By: DU SOUTH5

Re: You towed my jon boat on evening of 7/27 - 07/29/15 11:34 PM

Have you looked the fuel tank over?

Re: You towed my jon boat on evening of 7/27 - 07/29/15 11:36 PM

Maybe something is lodged in the line inside of the tank? Also I have installed a new line on a Jon boat before sometimes it takes a long time pumping the bulb to get the gas down the line depending on how long the line is. Also hook it up to the motor when you are priming it. Try that and see if it works

Re: You towed my jon boat on evening of 7/27 - 07/30/15 12:01 AM

Not if there is an air leak at the tank

Re: You towed my jon boat on evening of 7/27 - 07/30/15 12:03 AM

Bulb rigged in wrong direction?

Re: You towed my jon boat on evening of 7/27 - 07/30/15 01:36 AM

bulb is in right direction, and pumped the primer bulb about 20 times.............nothing.

I'll re-check the inside of the tank, but there wasn't anything there before
Posted By: TJH

Re: You towed my jon boat on evening of 7/27 - 07/30/15 10:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Stick'em
bulb is in right direction, and pumped the primer bulb about 20 times.............nothing.

I'll re-check the inside of the tank, but there wasn't anything there before

Just to poke my nose in. I had the same issue once and the deal with mine was that the fuel line(liner) had collapsed but would pump fuel when disconnected. Once it had pressure it would collapse on itself like a one way valve. I had to replace the line itself due to ethanol fuel.Some people don't know that a fuel line actually has a internal liner on some lines.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum