Texas Fishing Forum

Roberts schooling whites

Posted By: get-bit

Roberts schooling whites - 07/18/15 08:26 PM

The sand bass have finally seemed to get their act together. The last week they have been starting to school more and more,but today they went nuts. Kate's Point, Culp Is, mouth of Johnson Branch, Wolf Is, and between Sand Branch and IDB all had schools at some point this morning. Fun stuff.
Posted By: Joe Slab

Re: Roberts schooling whites - 07/18/15 09:24 PM

That's great news Danny. Thanks for the report. Any size to them?

Re: Roberts schooling whites - 07/18/15 09:28 PM

Yes. I cleaned a bunch of nice ones today. As usual have to weed thru some small ones, but couple the schools had some really nice ones.
Posted By: fmclee

Re: Roberts schooling whites - 07/18/15 10:30 PM

all the ramps open?
Posted By: rlfisher

Re: Roberts schooling whites - 07/18/15 10:43 PM

the marina is the only open ramp five dollars to launch
Posted By: fmclee

Re: Roberts schooling whites - 07/18/15 10:46 PM

Thanks .....
Posted By: Luke57

Re: Roberts schooling whites - 07/19/15 11:31 AM

Thanks Dannie

Re: Roberts schooling whites - 07/19/15 09:51 PM

Welcome. Today was no different. These guys are making up for lost time.
Posted By: Cactusflyr

Re: Roberts schooling whites - 07/21/15 09:28 PM

Went out fishing with my bride yesterday morning. Caught a few blacks but slow. Pulled into a small loose boat show south of wolf, easy to see the schools. Boated around 65 in an hour then action died a bit on the surface but they were still in the area....just not on the surface. Started dropping slabs to bottom and reeling up fast....they killed them. Another 30 over the next 20 min or so. Left them biting due to heat at 10:15.

Posted By: DaggerDoc1

Re: Roberts schooling whites - 07/22/15 03:30 PM

Got into the same area off wolf with my wife and step dad Monday. Took a while to find some larger ones they were definitely few and far between but man it's a blast catching and releasing and them lil jokers fight like hell. Finally got to see them on my graph and not gonna lie it's pretty awesome.
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Roberts schooling whites - 07/22/15 04:42 PM

Great screen shots
Posted By: Jeff_W

Re: Roberts schooling whites - 07/23/15 10:56 AM

isnt the marina on the west side of the dam?
Posted By: Double Dee

Re: Roberts schooling whites - 07/23/15 11:40 AM

Thanks for sharing the stories and great pics!
Posted By: Luke57

Re: Roberts schooling whites - 07/23/15 04:12 PM

Yes marina is west of dam
Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Re: Roberts schooling whites - 07/23/15 10:14 PM

Dannie,
Good report
Posted By: Old Birdeye

Re: Roberts schooling whites - 07/23/15 10:42 PM

The wife and I went on Tuesday and caught a bunch. We went again today and did not catch a thing. I did not see any being caught today either. Anybody find them today?
Posted By: Rhedik

Re: Roberts schooling whites - 07/23/15 10:44 PM

My buddy and I went out there this morning in that same area and they were killing the rooster tail. Large school and most were all really good size keepers and then some. I've never caught a 2lb sandie before today and it sure was a lot of fun.
Posted By: Slick Head

Re: Roberts schooling whites - 07/23/15 11:48 PM

Killer graph pics! Bet that was a blast.

Re: Roberts schooling whites - 07/24/15 12:02 AM

Originally Posted By: DaggerDoc1
Got into the same area off wolf with my wife and step dad Monday. Took a while to find some larger ones they were definitely few and far between but man it's a blast catching and releasing and them lil jokers fight like hell. Finally got to see them on my graph and not gonna lie it's pretty awesome.

You the group from FW? I was in white/blue skeeter.

Re: Roberts schooling whites - 07/24/15 03:03 AM

Man Rhedik, I'm glad someone found them. I saw a lot of boats moving around but did not see anyone catching any. I hit the Wolfe Island area several times and never saw any schooling. It was very different than Tuesday.

Re: Roberts schooling whites - 07/24/15 05:05 PM

Birdeye, we weren't quite at Wolf Island. We were more southwest of it where the main lake bends. Sorry, I don't know the names of areas. With all the talk about Cates Point or something like that, we thought that was were we must have been.

Re: Roberts schooling whites - 07/24/15 05:26 PM

I'm just learning the lake too! I usually fish Ray Hubbard, Richland Chambers, or Grapevine. The fishing on the first two is off and Grapevine only has one launch open that is charging $20 to launch. I think I saw you guys. There were three boats at Cates up in the edge of the trees. I came up at one point but did not want to come in close and crowd you guys. It looked pretty tight in there. Glad you guys were catching some good ones. Were they schooling up in there?
Posted By: Thunderbolt

Re: Roberts schooling whites - 07/24/15 08:25 PM

Old Birdeye, were you out there yesterday (Thursday)? If so, what boat were you in?
Posted By: ddmm

Re: Roberts schooling whites - 07/24/15 08:27 PM

We'll be out there tomorrow in a white Hurricane center console.
Son went out yesterday but couldn't find any large numbers. He was running a 19' red skeeter. I think they stayed around the dam, state park and south of marina.
Posted By: Basshead21

Re: Roberts schooling whites - 07/25/15 12:12 AM

Went this morning sun up tell 10am it was slow. Fished cates and culp. I never saw any schooling.

Re: Roberts schooling whites - 07/25/15 09:41 AM

I'll be out there this morning in the white with blue and silver trim Nitro 750. If you see me stop by and say hi.
Posted By: Thunderbolt

Re: Roberts schooling whites - 07/25/15 01:53 PM

I was out there Thursday morning in my gray/black Nautic star CC

Re: Roberts schooling whites - 07/25/15 06:18 PM

They schooled well again today south of Wolf. They didn't stay up near as long. Usually the case on the weekends. Just cause number of boats on the school. Really watch the graph, cause they have been on the bottom some but a lot of the fish are staying 10-20 feet down suspended. Cranks and Alabama rigs work great or just real the slab up thru them.

Re: Roberts schooling whites - 07/26/15 01:48 AM

Birdeye, yes, that was us smile There were 2 other boats next to us and I saw you out there. We thought you found a second school but we didn't want to crowd in on you. Yes, there was a large school where we were. One of the boats had a little kid and he was having a blast.

Re: Roberts schooling whites - 07/26/15 02:18 AM

Rhedik, it's always fun to watch kids get excited about catching fish. I took a friend out there today and we caught fish south of Wolfe from right after sun up until around 11:30. Get-Bit, I thought the boats out there did pretty well today. I did have two boats get a little close at one point but nobody was running their big engines into the fish. We caught a bunch today and had a blast.

Re: Roberts schooling whites - 07/26/15 10:01 PM

I saw on a different thread on here that the owners at the marina were thinking about closing the ramp. I just called and they will be open again on Monday morning, but they are not sure about after that. Apparently Sat. night people caught fish and cleaned them all over the ramp. The owners had to clean it up this morning and understandably are not happy. If you do launch there and see people cleaning fish ask them to stop. This is the only launch open on Ray Roberts and they are about to get it shut down. This is another one of those common sense things like running your big motor up into schooling fish. Duh?
Posted By: chickenman

Re: Roberts schooling whites - 07/27/15 04:17 AM

Drove across the dam and saw topwater action between Culp and the dam.

Sanger Access ramp parking lot looks really good. The ramp dock was in the packing lot though.

I couldn't see Pond from the gate.

The Marina looked busy around sundown but everyone looked like they were being patient.

Lake is under 6' high now. Really looking forward to using the ramps.

Re: Roberts schooling whites - 07/27/15 09:45 PM

I just called the marina and they have decided to keep the ramp open. They will close it if it happens again, so if you launch there and see someone cleaning fish there you might want to tell them the situation.

Re: Roberts schooling whites - 07/28/15 11:37 PM

Out this past monday morning, 7am launch till 10:30am. Sandies not near as well organized. Very sporadic topwater action early. Worked them from south of Wolf to east of Wolf almost all the way to the sticks. That died off a bit and they got active south of Wolf again at about 10am, best action of the day. Most caught slabbing or casting and bumping it across the bottom all the way back. Scratched out about 50 fish in the 3.5 hours, nothing like the 100 in an hour the prior Monday, but still a good trip.

Re: Roberts schooling whites - 07/29/15 03:48 AM

It was even worse this morning. They never really came up around Wolfe. We found a few in scattered schools, but none stayed up long. We checked out Culp and Kate's too with no luck. It was also windy, and it made it hard to find schooling fish.

Re: Roberts schooling whites - 07/31/15 07:29 PM

Make sure you check with Marina office before going next week Mon-Fri. Heard the ramp will be closed then. Saw that on other post as well

Re: Roberts schooling whites - 08/01/15 12:32 AM

They posted it is closed Mon-thur
Posted By: bigcheessee

Re: Roberts schooling whites - 08/01/15 08:49 AM

Just a rumor. I've yaked around the ramps. Looks good to me, except for the abundance of zebras. That's another story. I've been told that federal aid has ben given to TPWD. When they reopen it, it's cut off$. Been told it will be around labor day before they open the ramps. I hope this isn't true, I felt disgusted. Not to stir the pot, any facts would be appreciated.
Posted By: bigcheessee

Re: Roberts schooling whites - 08/01/15 08:49 AM

Just a rumor. I've yaked around the ramps. Looks good to me, except for the abundance of zebras. That's another story. I've been told that federal aid has ben given to TPWD. When they reopen it, it's cut off$. Been told it will be around labor day before they open the ramps. I hope this isn't true, I felt disgusted. Not to stir the pot, any facts would be appreciated.

Re: Roberts schooling whites - 08/01/15 11:06 AM

It is closed next Mon- Thursday They, the marina, posted it on their Facebook page and I talked to them. They are doing repairs
Posted By: Gonecatching

Re: Roberts schooling whites - 08/01/15 12:30 PM

That's all it takes is one guy to mess it up for the rest of us, I hope the ramps open soon I will be the first to go get my pass for the year.
Posted By: Basshead21

Re: Roberts schooling whites - 08/01/15 06:21 PM

How is the fishing. Thinking about going this evening.
Posted By: ddmm

Re: Roberts schooling whites - 08/01/15 09:43 PM

it was tough for us this morning. Fished primarily around Wolf, and on up towards state park. Surfacing action was hit and miss, as soon as you got close, they would go down. Caught enough on white slabs\jig and pop-r's to feed the family.
Marked lots of fish and shad on the graph.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum