Texas Fishing Forum

Trolling Time on Cedar Creek

Posted By: FisherMatt

Trolling Time on Cedar Creek - 07/18/15 05:54 AM

I know that some of you purists will disagree, but in the heat of the afternoon it
Is time to troll on Cedar Creek.

Today, from 4-6 PM, I marked the best school of sand bass I have seen in 3 years. It was at Dream Team 1 in 11 FOW.

I was bouncing slabs off their heads. I could literally feel the lure hitting fish on the way down. Not a single bite. Switched to the Hel/Pet combo and loaded the cooler.

Will be at it again tomorrow. The good news is that I find that my trolling does not offend too many purists from 4-6 PM, because they are not fishing at that time!
Posted By: Joe Slab

Re: Trolling Time on Cedar Creek - 07/18/15 11:26 AM

Nice work FisherMatt. What size pet spoon do you use. I've always wanted to try the Hellpet technique. cheers
Posted By: fastguy�

Re: Trolling Time on Cedar Creek - 07/18/15 01:37 PM

cheers
Posted By: EPIC Steve

Re: Trolling Time on Cedar Creek - 07/18/15 02:38 PM

I use a #13 pet spoon with a 2 ft leader, silver for sunny days and gold for cloudy days. I let the hellpet out 75 to 100 ft behind boat in 15 to 25 fow
There is a good YouTube video on hellpet
It works for me when fishing is slow or its hot
Posted By: Dennis Christian

Re: Trolling Time on Cedar Creek - 07/18/15 05:10 PM

Very effective; guide Billy Seaman always goes to it this time of year.
Posted By: GoBears870

Re: Trolling Time on Cedar Creek - 07/18/15 07:05 PM

About the same story with us yesterday - lockjaw on the slabs, but they hit the Hell Pet good. Expensive way to fill a limit but fun when you have beginners on the boat.
Posted By: Joe Slab

Re: Trolling Time on Cedar Creek - 07/18/15 09:28 PM

Good info Epic. Thank you. thumb
Posted By: TR176

Re: Trolling Time on Cedar Creek - 07/19/15 03:32 AM

It is surprising the size of hybrids that will hit #12 pet spoon.
Posted By: FisherMatt

Re: Trolling Time on Cedar Creek - 07/19/15 06:13 AM

I almost always use #12. I also use a 4-6 ft leader. I do not think the color of blade or feather makes any difference on any day, but my kids do. They are always fighting about which one catches the most/biggest fish. It makes no difference!

But I change the spoon to their liking as requested.

The only thing that really matters is a sharp hook.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum