Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Whitney boat ramps and report. UDATE 7/21 with pics.

Posted By: HighTech Redneck

Lake Whitney boat ramps and report. UDATE 7/21 with pics. - 07/13/15 01:39 PM

The lake level has dropped considerably and a few of the Marinas and Lodges have opened their boats ramps for public access. I don't have any word yet about Corp parks other than I heard that they where gong to rope off the restrooms instead of restoring them prior to opening parks and bring in Port o Potties. Harbor master Marinas boat ramp is open, Little Rocky Lodge is open to guest of Lodge only, Uncle Gus' Ramp is in great shape and I THINK Lake Whitney Marina at Juniper Cove is open. Good to see all the boats on the water this past weekend. Fishing has been awesome as of late. Good summer time pattern and catching a lot of fish from the 2013 stocking with a double digit thrown in the mix here and there. Main lake points and humps in about 26' of water has been the ticket for me with chartreuse on chartreuse being the most productive color on jigs and trailers. Lot of fast action! here's a few pics of the last few days on the water. This bite and pattern will only get better the warmer the water temp gets. You ought to come down and get ya some! God Bless ya and hope one day soon to, C Ya on the Water!

I do have a few openings if anyone wants to go. 817-822-5539[b][/b]
Posted By: w.ramsey

Re: Lake Whitney boat ramps and report. - 07/14/15 12:03 AM

good to see your getting back in shape down on whitney
Posted By: DrWhiplash

Re: Lake Whitney boat ramps and report. - 07/14/15 01:07 AM

Great to hear and awesome to see that beautiful Lake Whitney is producing ..... Need to get down there soon thanks for the report cheers
Posted By: learnin to fish

Re: Lake Whitney boat ramps and report. - 07/14/15 01:11 AM

Please send me a PM to talk about setting up a trip.
Posted By: rdmac

Re: Lake Whitney boat ramps and report. - 07/14/15 03:10 AM

Glad to see Whitney is producing nice fish again.

Re: Lake Whitney boat ramps and report. - 07/14/15 11:11 AM

Thanks all, yes Whitney is doing great. Lot of fish and big schools of stripers. Learnin to fish I replied to your email. Love to have ya down and show you around.
Posted By: armadilla

Re: Lake Whitney boat ramps and report. - 07/14/15 02:08 PM

Went by McCown yesterday... it was still closed...
Posted By: forsanmedic

Re: Lake Whitney boat ramps and report. - 07/14/15 04:21 PM

I am guessing that Loafers Bend is allowing you through to Marina? Probably come out Thursday early

Re: Lake Whitney boat ramps and report. - 07/14/15 05:33 PM

Yes. The Corp opened the road through to Harbor Master.

Re: Lake Whitney boat ramps and report. UPDATE 7/21 - 07/17/15 07:14 PM

Still catching good numbers on Whitney, some 1 hour and 1.5 hour limits. Good numbers and having a blast doing it. Soon as I get a day off and back home to a computer will post pics. Noticed Corp is around lake working on parks getting docks pulled back up etc. Should be opening parks and Corp ramps soon.
Posted By: Slack40

Re: Lake Whitney boat ramps and report. - 07/17/15 07:21 PM

Heading out to Whitney in the morning. Can't wait to get after them!

Re: Lake Whitney boat ramps and report. UPDATE 7/21 with pics. - 07/21/15 12:48 PM

The summer pattern on Whitney is set and it will last about 6 weeks or so, till the lake turns over. Catching a lot of numbers. Most are the fish from the 2013 stocking and there are plenty of them. Busy busy busy! The hotter it gets the better this bite gets, all on artificial baits no getting up at 2am throwing a net. I haven't cleaned a fish since last Friday that had a shad or any bait in its belly. Reaction strike is the way to go, or at least it is for me, this year and for years now! If you have been thinking about coming to Whitney now is the time. The Corp opened the ramp at the Loafer bend day use park at the dam this past weekend. Others should open soon. A few pics from the past few days.
[Linked Image]
This one is TFF's own Learningtofish and family.
[Linked Image]
You ought to come get ya some!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
This last picture was a very special trip. Childhood friend that I haven't seen in years, Mike Wiltfong of "WILD Fang Martial Arts" and family came out and fished with me. After all the pressure from the weekend I was afraid the bite might be a little slow, took about an hour to find the fish. They hadn't moved far and in shallow water. It was crazy, 2 to 3 rods going down at a time, kept this old man busy!
Posted By: Whiskey Bob

Re: Lake Whitney boat ramps and report. UPDATE 7/21 with pics. - 07/21/15 10:45 PM

Nice Randy ! You just been wacking and stackin " thumb
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Lake Whitney boat ramps and report. UPDATE 7/21 with pics. - 07/22/15 12:12 AM

Nice haul! thumb

Re: Lake Whitney boat ramps and report. UPDATE 7/21 with pics. - 07/22/15 08:09 PM

Thanks Whiskey Bob. Pretty awesome bite. This pattern should last through summer.
Posted By: marschall

Re: Lake Whitney boat ramps and report. UPDATE 7/21 with pics. - 07/24/15 10:43 AM

Thanks for the update. Finally going to get out boat back in a slip @ Juniper Cove !
Not our slip but it has been in our lake house drive way since the tornado in May. The shad and little black bas are just everywhere in our part of the lake.
Posted By: BUERICH

Re: Lake Whitney boat ramps and report. UPDATE 7/21 with pics. - 07/31/15 03:12 PM

are you down-rigging for them? or just casting? vertical jigging? will be staying at little rocky with my family over labor day weekend. we have our own boat and have fished the lake before just not in a while. would be nice to find some stripers/white/ or even some catfish.
Posted By: big D

Re: Lake Whitney boat ramps and report. UPDATE 7/21 with pics. - 07/31/15 03:52 PM

PM Sent BUERICH
Posted By: SWH

Re: Lake Whitney boat ramps and report. UPDATE 7/21 with pics. - 08/03/15 12:13 AM

Originally Posted By: BUERICH
are you down-rigging for them? or just casting? vertical jigging? will be staying at little rocky with my family over labor day weekend. we have our own boat and have fished the lake before just not in a while. would be nice to find some stripers/white/ or even some catfish.

Would love to hear this answer. Trying to put my 80 year old fishin partner on his first striper ever.
Posted By: liketofishalot

Re: Lake Whitney boat ramps and report. UPDATE 7/21 with pics. - 08/03/15 03:01 AM

So at least 6 boats including guides today all trolling by the state park today
Must be the trick right now

Re: Lake Whitney boat ramps and report. UPDATE 7/21 with pics. - 08/03/15 10:59 AM

Still catching.limits every trip. I am running 4 down riggers and using chartreuse baits on main lake points and humps. You can do the same thing casting for them. Catching most fish in 15 to 20' of water. These fish are on the move up and down the points rarely sticking in one spot. Please I don't mind sharing info but if you see me working a spot don't cut me off. Especially if Im on the back of my boat netting a fish or putting a rigger back down. Most people do it right but their has been a couple that have near run over me trying to fish a hole. Please be safe and pay attention. There are plenty of small schools of fish scattered on these points plenty enough to go around. Good luck and hope this helps.
Posted By: BUERICH

Re: Lake Whitney boat ramps and report. UPDATE 7/21 with pics. - 08/03/15 02:52 PM

certainly always try to observe courtesy on the water. we'll be casting or jigging most likely instead of trolling.

when you say chartreuse baits? you mean slab spoons? or like grubs? or hair jigs? anything the right color?
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: Lake Whitney boat ramps and report. UPDATE 7/21 with pics. - 08/03/15 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By: BUERICH
certainly always try to observe courtesy on the water. we'll be casting or jigging most likely instead of trolling.

when you say chartreuse baits? you mean slab spoons? or like grubs? or hair jigs? anything the right color?

Read his opening post again, its in there, and its working

Re: Lake Whitney boat ramps and report. UPDATE 8/05 with pics. - 08/05/15 12:06 PM

Buck tail jigs and trailers. The fish are still on the same pattern, still catching limits quick. Was a little slow last trip it took till 9:45 to catch a 10 fish limit. We must have had a high survival rate from the 2013 stocking of stripers because they are everywhere it seems, plus we had to have got fish from the flood from Granbury and PK because we have an age class of stripers we shouldn't have. I'm talking 7 to 8 lb. fish and we didn't get stocked in those 3 years that these fish would have come from. Talking to another guide at the dock the other morning and his clients had caught a keeper Hybrid, another person told me they caught a bunch of undersized hybrids mixed in with white bass, he is an avid fisherman and I feel confident he knows the difference. Whitney's never been stocked with hybrids so these fish had to come down the Brazos all the way from Graham. The pattern were on should last till the lake turns over. The weather is hot and so is Whitney! God Bless ya and Hope some day soon to, "See Ya on the Water!"
Last couple of trips.

I am booked the next 7 out of 8 days. If anyone wants to come down and fish with me and get on this bite give me a shout. The words out and my phone is going nuts. Thanks!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum