Texas Fishing Forum

Rods and reels for hybrids

Posted By: Illnoize

Rods and reels for hybrids - 07/12/15 04:28 AM

What is your set up for hybrids? Rods,reels, line...etc
Posted By: Streetwalker

Re: Rods and reels for hybrids - 07/12/15 12:43 PM

I use all TFO rods. Anywhere from a medium light to a heavy, depending on what lures I'm throwing. Casting reels are all Lew's BB1 Pro. Spinning reels are all Lew's Team Gold Carbon.

Line weights run from 8 lb to 15 lb.
Posted By: DrWhiplash

Re: Rods and reels for hybrids - 07/12/15 01:23 PM

6'6" Abu Garcia Orra combo works as well as the H20 Express Mettle 7' combo (academy) ... Also use the BP ProLite set up which is 6'6" .... Berkley Trilene Big Game 15 to 20 lb green mono is line choice! Using tackle from Moestackleshop! Oh and the Berkley Lighting rods are a good solid pick.
Posted By: Capt Craig

Re: Rods and reels for hybrids - 07/13/15 05:56 PM

I have two separate setups-

1. Abu Garcia Revo STX Baitcaster reel on a 7' medium heavy rod with 30# Powerpro for mostly vertical jigging with a 2 ounce shad-shaped jig in either Chartreuse/White or Silver.

2. Abu Garcia Revo S Spinning Reel (medium to large spool size) on a 7' medium heavy rod with 20# PowerPro with a topwater or suspending lipless crankbait weighing 5/8 ounce in Silver.
Posted By: benp

Re: Rods and reels for hybrids - 07/15/15 07:41 PM

To be honest you can use many set ups. from about 50 bucks all the way to 200 plus , Just depends on what you want to spend I have caught Large hybrids on ultra light Walmart setups ( in the creek) and it is very fun in my opinion. (20 dollar open faced spin cast combo and 4pd test)

I mostly used bait casters in the 40-60 dollar range (abu garcia black max seems to last a while ) with a medium heavy 6.6 to 7ft rod (academy brand tournament series in the forest green is inexpensive and just fine if you are on a budget). Seagaur Line red label 12-15 flouro seems to be the best affordable line that I have found, This set up seems to be the best way to have a good fight without making it too easy or risking lots of break offs.

You can go way more expensive and I do I have one nice set up. but that set up I mentioned before is affordable and tough and if something happens then you are not set back much,( I am tough on my gear)
Posted By: PlanoKeith

Re: Rods and reels for hybrids - 07/15/15 08:24 PM

Bass pro qualifier reel on a berkley lightning rod 6'6" with either 15 to 20 pound braid suffix or power pro brand. I have also caught a lot of hybrid on a 10.00 shakespeare spinning reel with 15 pound suffix braid LOL
Posted By: G Love

Re: Rods and reels for hybrids - 07/16/15 04:00 PM

I caught about 30 yesterday up to 5# on a 6'9" Duckett M throwin a Bomber Badonkadonk with 20lb super slick and a 6' shock leader of 15# big game. I like that set up.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum