Texas Fishing Forum

CC- I'd rather be lucky than good

Posted By: Double D Blue Wave

CC- I'd rather be lucky than good - 07/06/15 11:12 PM

Friday evening at 7 PM found me and home-from-college son sitting by the rocky point south of Enchanted Island about ready to quit and go eat supper. Then a big wake board boat passed by us and I noticed some shad jumping and fish chasing them in the prop wash. I've seen this happen before. Then the whole area just exploded with big SB and small hybrids surfacing over several acres. We had them all to ourselves until 8:15. For 75 minutes we caught on every cast on Heddon Spittin Image topwater, Mepps spinner, rooster tail and green tailhummer. So that was plenty fun, especially watching them blast the topwater lure.

Saturday I took a guest out at about 1 PM to go looking for some crappie under docks. We were bouncing across the big waves and boat rollers headed east when we passed south of Enchanted Island and there were the darned big SB and small hybrids surfacing right in the middle of the day and right in the middle of July 4th boat and Sea-Doo chaos. The wind was blowing so hard I had to use the big motor to run back to the herd which was moving west into the deep water. Green tailhummers and slabs were the ticket casting into the gale force winds. Nobody else stupid enough to be out there fishing in that mess, so again we had them all to ourselves.

Just goes to show, you never know.
Posted By: High Breed

Re: CC- I'd rather be lucky than good - 07/07/15 03:05 AM

Saw the same thing on Sunday afternoon on Lake Athens with sand bass..Schooling sandies among all the tubers and jet ski idiots at 2pm!
Posted By: Wildwood

Re: CC- I'd rather be lucky than good - 07/07/15 02:30 PM

High Breed, was that close to the damn on Sunday afternoon at Lake Athens? We caught bass schooling for about 20 min just before noon....Keitech swim baits and chartreuse chatter bait with a white trailer. Good times!
Posted By: High Breed

Re: CC- I'd rather be lucky than good - 07/08/15 04:30 AM

Saw them there and north of Impala point. It was a mix of sand bass and large mouth bass which happens regularly on Lake Athens.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum