Texas Fishing Forum

Any good DIY bait tank design ideas?

Posted By: SLABXPRESS

Any good DIY bait tank design ideas? - 06/28/15 03:59 AM

I've got 3 large (I think 15-20gal) round Gott coolers. They were thrown out because the spigots are busted. They're very well insulted, and I use a smaller one for minnows. It will keep minnows alive for 2-3 days with a bubbler.
I want to convert one of the large ones to an aerated bait tank for shad. Anyone done something similar? Design suggestions? Any specifics problems to avoid?
Any input would be appreciated, especially pics. Thanks!
Posted By: DU SOUTH5

Re: Any good DIY bait tank design ideas? - 06/28/15 12:51 PM

A couple of the main reasons shad die quickly is because they put off so much ammonia and use oxygen quickly, not to mention stress, suntan lotion is. My gray line tank has several filter layers and a charcoal layer. Probably need to devise some sort of filtration system to work with your cooler. You're on the right path with the round cooler. Somebody here has most likely made one and will chime in.
Posted By: Ruff n Redi

Re: Any good DIY bait tank design ideas? - 06/28/15 01:36 PM

I rigged up a 10 gal got cooler with a pump in the bottom that had a round filter on it. It would keep 50-75 shod a live for 6-8 hours. Used some salt and bait saver. Fix the lid so it can stay open some to let ammonia gas escape. If you want something that will keep them alive longer you will need to get a bait tank with a filter system. You have to have some way to keep the shad scales out of the water. The scales get in their gills and kill them. When you catch shad be sure to always put them is a separate big bucket before putting them in your tank. Only leave them a minute or 2. It cost about $70 to rig mine.
fish
Posted By: fishanhunt

Re: Any good DIY bait tank design ideas? - 06/28/15 02:50 PM

I just used a blue 55 gallon plastic drum cut down to about 20 gallons and cut a hole in the side and installed an aerator pump. the pump pulls out of the bottom and returns to the top of the drum where it goes into a contraption that was made to clean a paint roller. I fill it with fiberfill ( pillow stuffing). I was amazed at how well it works. We kept shad alive for over 12 hours. Usually more like 16-18 hours at Cedar Creek in late June. Not to bad for something I have about $50 in at most. Here's the roller cleaner I used.
Posted By: 8upwithfishin'

Re: Any good DIY bait tank design ideas? - 06/28/15 03:27 PM

fishanhunt, can you show a picture of all this assembled? Also, where did you get the cleaner? Thanks.

Re: Any good DIY bait tank design ideas? - 06/28/15 04:02 PM

Originally Posted By: 8upwithfishin'
fishanhunt, can you show a picture of all this assembled? Also, where did you get the cleaner? Thanks.

I will but it will probably be tomorrow before I can get them posted. I'm at work right now and it will be late before I get home.

Don't be expecting something professional and pretty !!! It's a redneck baittank for sure

Re: Any good DIY bait tank design ideas? - 06/28/15 05:44 PM

I'm all about redneck..........as long as it keeps finicky shad alive! Thanks.

Re: Any good DIY bait tank design ideas? - 06/29/15 02:32 PM

Re: Any good DIY bait tank design ideas? - 06/29/15 02:38 PM

When i put water in it, i leave about 3 or 4 inches of room before the bottom of the filter so the water can fall from the filter to the tank and splash a little to help with oxygenation. Also add some salt to help out.
Posted By: SLABXPRESS

Re: Any good DIY bait tank design ideas? - 06/29/15 06:28 PM

So which way does the water pump? I assume you put the Polly fill in the canister?

Re: Any good DIY bait tank design ideas? - 06/29/15 07:42 PM

Water pumps from the bottom up to the folter case which is packed with the polyfill and falls back into the tank.

I posted earlier that I left 3-4 inches of space between the water and the filter case but my fishing partner that helped build it said that we filled the tank up almost full last time and it worked the better. I don't remember, I have slept since then.

Re: Any good DIY bait tank design ideas? - 06/29/15 10:58 PM

Heck, that's not a bad looking bait tank at all. What kind of aerator are you using? Also, what is that between the bottom of the filter and aerator? Thanks for the idea!

Re: Any good DIY bait tank design ideas? - 06/30/15 12:01 AM

I'm using an Atwood Tsunami 800 aerator and that's a LED livewell light that we tied into the aerator power cord.

Re: Any good DIY bait tank design ideas? - 06/30/15 12:06 AM

The LED was a good idea too. Alright, I think I'm good to go. Thx again.
Posted By: CenTexan

Re: Any good DIY bait tank design ideas? - 06/30/15 01:15 PM

http://keepalive.net/portable.htm
One of these and your cooler are all you need. Simple and quick.

Re: Any good DIY bait tank design ideas? - 06/30/15 01:37 PM

Also throw in half a hand full of Shad Keeper and Stock Salt. You can keep shad going all day. If the water gets warm when its hot just drop in a bottle of frozen water. Keep a few frozen bottles in your cooler.

Re: Any good DIY bait tank design ideas? - 07/01/15 12:48 AM

CenTexan, will they keep the shad alive during the heat? Thanks to all.
Posted By: 5Redman8

Re: Any good DIY bait tank design ideas? - 07/01/15 01:10 AM

Re: Any good DIY bait tank design ideas? - 07/01/15 01:44 AM

Originally Posted By: CenTexan
http://keepalive.net/portable.htm
One of these and your cooler are all you need. Simple and quick.

I was going to use one of those but I read some reviews that said the filter clogged up with shad scales pretty quickly. How long can you run before the filter clogs ? I'm going to build another tank and my try one of these pumps out.

Re: Any good DIY bait tank design ideas? - 07/01/15 01:48 AM

OK, they keep coming. Give me the details 5Redman8. What did you use to make the filter box and does it work good in the heat of the summer? Are you using multiple filters? Thanks.

Re: Any good DIY bait tank design ideas? - 07/01/15 03:34 AM

They work great. I bought the big filters and ended up taking them off. The small filter is all I run. I have seen reviews about the filters clogging up or only being able to keep 20-25 baits alive in a 15 gal tank. That's all bogus. I have the 15 gal because my previous boat was small. I put up to 50+ shad in one. The shad keeper and stock salt are key. That hardens their scales and keeps them slimy. I purge them in a 5 gal bucket before transporting to the tank. The Shad Keeper cuts down on the ammonia as well. When it gets hot drop a small bottle of frozen water in and they keep just fine. I learned quick that you don't throw ice cubes in. The chlorine in the cubes will knock them out quick. We have a 10 gal water cooler with a floater in it for back up. It works great as well. My new boat has one in the bottom with the suction cups. I ran it to a toggle on the helm. It keeps shad alive longer than the factory pump. You don't have to buy expensive tanks. The water coolers work great. And you can put a 10 gal in the front and back of the boat. Trust me guys, those pumps are worth the money.

Re: Any good DIY bait tank design ideas? - 07/01/15 03:37 AM

Also, I only clean the filter after each trip. I cut one of the bigger ones down as a spare but never have to change it while fishing.
Posted By: SaltyDawg88

Re: Any good DIY bait tank design ideas? - 07/01/15 05:09 AM

Here is the one I built.

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/7870030/

Re: Any good DIY bait tank design ideas? - 07/01/15 04:28 PM

Plastic drums will work fine but they are not insulated. Shad are finicky to temp changes. Insulated is the way to go. And the pumps you made will work but its so much easier to buy a Keep Alive pump and just go with it.

Re: Any good DIY bait tank design ideas? - 07/01/15 04:33 PM

Instant bait tank! Drop the Keep Alive floater on top, plug it in, a little Shad Keeper and Stock Salt....Voila!!!! Don't make it so hard. It's really that easy.
Posted By: 5Redman8

Re: Any good DIY bait tank design ideas? - 07/01/15 06:37 PM

Originally Posted By: 8upwithfishin'
OK, they keep coming. Give me the details 5Redman8. What did you use to make the filter box and does it work good in the heat of the summer? Are you using multiple filters? Thanks.

The filter box is a dry storage box from academy....dremeled the upper lip off.

I use the white aquarium filter material behind a coarse filter. Works great. I use please release me and a little ice to start them off cool.

I changed it up a bit after that pic.....here is a video. I wanted more surface disturbance.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j210/5...zpssgne9er8.mp4

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j210/5...zpsxu54md6o.mp4

Re: Any good DIY bait tank design ideas? - 07/02/15 12:29 AM

Plastic drums will work fine but they are not insulated. Shad are finicky to temp changes. Insulated is the way to go. And the pumps you made will work but its so much easier to buy a Keep Alive pump and just go with it.

Mine kept them alive from the evening when I caught bait until I ran out of bait the next day usually in the afternoon. Did it for a week while fishing Cedar Creek last year in June with temps in the 90's. I just added fresh water and salt a few times a day. I think the key is keeping the water moving, cool and keeping the filter clean.

I'm not knocking the KeepAlive. I was just showing an option. More than 1 way to skin a cat.

Not to mention that I have less in my setup than what the price of the KeepAlive pump, filter and shipping was going to be.
Posted By: sunsetroosters

Re: Any good DIY bait tank design ideas? - 07/03/15 04:51 AM

Fish and hunt, do you cut the top off the 55gallon drum and make it shorter??? Can you take a pic from the side?? Thanks

Re: Any good DIY bait tank design ideas? - 07/03/15 04:58 AM

Keep Alive pumps were on sale at Cabelas for 29 bucks.

Re: Any good DIY bait tank design ideas? - 07/03/15 02:45 PM

CenTexan, which Cabelas? I called the one in Allen and the guy said he didn't have any in the store and I could get it on-line? Maybe he didn't know where to look. Thanks.
Posted By: lakewood

Re: Any good DIY bait tank design ideas? - 07/05/15 06:48 PM

Bump, this is what a forum is for.

Re: Any good DIY bait tank design ideas? - 07/06/15 10:47 AM

Keep Alive pumps were on sale at Cabelas for 29 bucks.

I would have dang sure tried one at that price. When I was looking at them Cabelas was sold out and Bass Pro didn't carry them. On line at KeepAlive's sight the pump, larger filter and shipping was going to be like $129.00.

Re: Any good DIY bait tank design ideas? - 07/06/15 11:01 AM

Originally Posted By: sunsetroosters
Fish and hunt, do you cut the top off the 55gallon drum and make it shorter??? Can you take a pic from the side?? Thanks

I have it cut down to about a 25-30 gallon tank. The barrel guts pretty flimsy after you cut the lid off so I left about 6 inches of the sides on the top when I cut it off. I pushed it down inside of the bottom of the tank and used some stainless bolts to hold them together. You can kinda see it in the picture. These do take up some space in the boat. I think I might try the round cooler idea if I can get a pump.
Posted By: River Mongrel

Re: Any good DIY bait tank design ideas? - 07/06/15 12:18 PM

If filter box or hoses are in the way it sucks when trying to net shad!!
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Any good DIY bait tank design ideas? - 07/06/15 01:11 PM

This is a pretty slick build
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum