Texas Fishing Forum

Any Tawakoni Reports?

Posted By: Anchorman

Any Tawakoni Reports? - 06/25/15 01:57 PM

Me and some of my old buddies will be on the pontoon somewhere this weekend. Still trying to decide where with Texoma inaccessible. Would love to get into some stripers or hybrids. I haven't heard much about Tawakoni lately. Anyone know whats going on there and what a boat full of capable but inexperienced old washed up bass fishermen might could do to catch a few?
Posted By: Gmann

Re: Any Tawakoni Reports? - 06/25/15 02:22 PM

Fished there last weekend, was slow but windy as hell, using live bait (hard to find). Talked to a guide yesterday who told me he was skunked yesterday using lures.

However, things change. Can't catch them on the sofa.
Posted By: lenahorse

Re: Any Tawakoni Reports? - 06/25/15 02:44 PM

Went Monday got my 1st ZERO, had 5 fish in the boat friend's caught I did not get a bite, we all fish lures. Live bait is catching fish. I switched lakes.
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: Any Tawakoni Reports? - 06/25/15 04:10 PM

we caught enough for a fish fry Monday afternoon at the Greennville pump station, trolling the hell pet

Re: Any Tawakoni Reports? - 06/25/15 11:21 PM

I'm not familiar with the lake at all. I would be going totally blind. Have no clue where the pump station is. But thanks for the promising info. I'll be on Bonham Friday evening trying to catch some crappie. I'll have the cast net with me too. If I can catch some bait we may head to Tawakoni Saturday.
Posted By: squirrelhunter09

Re: Any Tawakoni Reports? - 06/26/15 02:58 AM

Guess I got lucky... it was mt first time to tawakoni and was there tuesday through today and caught plenty of keeper hybrids and some white bass every day. It was a combo of trolling, casting, and live shad. All techniques worked. Wasn't biting all day every day but ended up with a good number of fish.

Re: Any Tawakoni Reports? - 06/26/15 03:16 AM

Thanks squirrel. What kind of rig were you trolling with?

I'm leaning towards going Saturday. Sounds like a fun adventure.

Re: Any Tawakoni Reports? - 06/26/15 04:48 PM

Heavy 1oz bucktail jigs and heavy jig heads with swim baits.

Re: Any Tawakoni Reports? - 06/26/15 04:54 PM

But the action wasn't as fast and furious as I expected. It's even better to know that this week was slow for tawakonim I'll definitely be back soon!
Posted By: JimmyP

Re: Any Tawakoni Reports? - 06/26/15 09:21 PM

Originally Posted By: newpontoonguy
I'm not familiar with the lake at all. I would be going totally blind. Have no clue where the pump station is. But thanks for the promising info. I'll be on Bonham Friday evening trying to catch some crappie. I'll have the cast net with me too. If I can catch some bait we may head to Tawakoni Saturday.

You do know it is now illegal to transfer shad from lake to lake don't you? One of the ways they are trying to stop zebra muscles.
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Any Tawakoni Reports? - 06/27/15 12:38 AM

My understanding is you can put the bait in water from the destination lake upon arrival and discard the transport water in a location where it cannot run into the destination lake, and still be within the law.

Re: Any Tawakoni Reports? - 06/27/15 12:50 AM

I wouldn't worry about bait. There is shad all over tawakoni... throw anywhere near shore where there are underwater trees and brush since the water came up. Right along the trees, they are everywhere

Re: Any Tawakoni Reports? - 06/27/15 12:51 AM

Doesn't matter the time of day? We caught them at dawn and also mid afternoon in the heat of the day
Posted By: JimmyP

Re: Any Tawakoni Reports? - 06/27/15 01:14 AM

Originally Posted By: psycho0819
My understanding is you can put the bait in water from the destination lake upon arrival and discard the transport water in a location where it cannot run into the destination lake, and still be within the law.

"Live fish, including personally caught live bait, cannot be transported from the water body where the fish were caught in or aboard a vessel in water from the water body where the fish were caught. Personally caught live bait can be used in the water body where it was caught."

Right off the TPWD website. Your understanding is incorrect. Please contact a Game warden for clarifacation before you get a huge ticket. You now have to have a receipt for commercially raised minnows to take to any lake or you risk a fine.

Re: Any Tawakoni Reports? - 06/27/15 03:01 PM

Originally Posted By: JimmyP

"Live fish, including personally caught live bait, cannot be transported from the water body where the fish were caught in or aboard a vessel in water from the water body where the fish were caught. Personally caught live bait can be used in the water body where it was caught."

Right off the TPWD website. Your understanding is incorrect. Please contact a Game warden for clarifacation before you get a huge ticket. You now have to have a receipt for commercially raised minnows to take to any lake or you risk a fine.

Thanks for the heads up. Just shows you how things have changed. No shad will be transported...
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Any Tawakoni Reports? - 06/29/15 01:07 AM

Originally Posted By: JimmyP

Thanks for the clarification. I don't fish live bait anyway, so no worries about getting fined for some revenue generating law that will have no effect in the end anyway.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum