Texas Fishing Forum

Dead Stripers

Posted By: JavelinJ

Dead Stripers - 06/21/15 08:27 PM

Why do they die so quickly after putting in the live well? Even with the aerator on they just dont make it very long.
Posted By: CrappieAddict

Re: Dead Stripers - 06/21/15 11:50 PM

They are a hard fighting fish and large fish at that. They have a lot of blood compared to other fish I've cleaned which means they need a lot of air. Holding them out of water for any amount of time after you reel them in hurts them. An air actor in a live we'll probably is enough. They need to continue swimming and getting water thru their gills to live.
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Dead Stripers - 06/22/15 01:14 AM

Here ya go.
http://www.arkansasstripers.com/live-well-stripers.htm
Posted By: TIM CLINE

Re: Dead Stripers - 06/22/15 11:42 AM

Get a set of striper tubes that will force water theu the gills!
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: Dead Stripers - 06/23/15 02:32 AM

Most of the stripers I've caught have given it all they had before I got them in the boat. I haven't had much luck with catch and release once the water gets warm. I've had a few Texoma trips cut short once I got two overs and everything was coming up over 20 inches. Not very sporting to keep fishing with floaters around your boat. Maybe if you horse them in on bigger tackle it's different.
Posted By: Ruff n Redi

Re: Dead Stripers - 06/24/15 03:11 PM

I have always been told that stripers fight so hard, most will not survive catch and release, especially in warm to hot water.
fish
Posted By: Streetwalker

Re: Dead Stripers - 06/24/15 08:51 PM

Stripers are native to cooler saltwater. In general saltwater fish need highly oxygenated water to survive. Your livewell doesn't even come close to providing what they need.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum