Texas Fishing Forum

Bait shop around benbrook

Posted By: bigtexnick

Bait shop around benbrook - 06/20/15 05:04 PM

Is there one close to benbrook that sells live shad? If not, looks like I'll have to get a cast net and throw out my shoulder.
Posted By: BADLANDER

Re: Bait shop around benbrook - 06/20/15 06:48 PM

Shad can't be kept alive!!!!
Throw net !!!!
Posted By: Ruff n Redi

Re: Bait shop around benbrook - 06/21/15 03:23 PM

You can't buy shad. Tommy's in Whiskey Flats sells minnows. Shad are easy to find out from the marina late in the evening. You need a round bait tank or a big ice chest and put a circulating pump in it. It is not as good as bait tank but it will work for a while.
fish
Posted By: liketofishalot

Re: Bait shop around benbrook - 06/21/15 05:42 PM

Academy sales a little bait tank that's insulated and oval shaped for around 40.00
I kept 15 shad alive from 630-1200 today was by myself so plenty of bait
However I can't catch fish so it didn't matter
Posted By: bigtexnick

Re: Bait shop around benbrook - 06/21/15 09:58 PM

Yes, I ended up calling all the local places. None of them sell live shad. One girl told me I won't find a place "in the area" that sells live shad.

I tried the cast net thing, and it was very difficult to throw a decent circle. I bought a 6 ft net, which may be too large for a beginner thrower. Had a very difficult time. By the time I was able to throw a semi-circle, I actually caught 4 tiny little baby sandbass! But not a shad in sight. Will have to keep practicing with the cast net.

But until then, even if I have to drive somewhere, where is the closest bait shop to Benbrook that sells live shad? Would I have to go to Joe Pool? Grapevine? Granbury? Lewisville?

Just need a backup plan, just in case.

Re: Bait shop around benbrook - 06/21/15 09:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Ruff n Redi
You can't buy shad. Tommy's in Whiskey Flats sells minnows. Shad are easy to find out from the marina late in the evening. You need a round bait tank or a big ice chest and put a circulating pump in it. It is not as good as bait tank but it will work for a while.
fish
^^^^^ what I really wanted to say
Posted By: RANDY WOOD

Re: Bait shop around benbrook - 06/21/15 10:19 PM

i am not picking on anyone here just putting this out there.

Would you rather make a bad throw with a 7 foot net or a 3 foot net?

A small net is actually harder to throw. If I am going to throw 50 tacos in a row I want it to be with the largest net legal.

Don't start with a small net. Buy a 7 foot and start.
You will be glad you did. Your not going to be a super hero over night but with a little time you'll be great. Finding, catching, and keeping shad alive is the most important thing when it comes to consistent Striper fishing.
Then there is lure fishing which was never what this thread was about so I'll stop

Re: Bait shop around benbrook - 06/22/15 01:21 AM

LOL ok, I get it Big Nick this is a joke right?????????
took me a couple days !!!!!
But yes there used to be a shad hatchery in between Benbrook and Granbury......
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum