Texas Fishing Forum

Best Sonar/Electronics for Striper and Hybrids

Posted By: Fish Wrangler

Best Sonar/Electronics for Striper and Hybrids - 06/17/15 09:46 PM

Howdy, I'm in the process of looking to upgrade my current Garmin system which is WAY outdated to purchase a new system for finding striper and hybrids. So far from my research the 2 names I've come across are the Simrad Evo2 and the Lowrance HDS-7 Gen3 Sonar/GPS Combo. Looking to spend no more than $1,300 and believe I definitely want the side scan and down scan abilities these electronics provide. Does anyone have any opinions on these 2 systems? Does anyone think you can get a better value with another system? I also might add, we'd like the system to service is as well when we fish for trout and redfish on the Texas coast.
Posted By: Diel11

Re: Best Sonar/Electronics for Striper and Hybrids - 06/17/15 10:17 PM

Simrad and Lowrance are both made by Navico, so you're pretty much looking at the same system. The Simrad is a bit faster on boot up and offers dual range if you use radar. The Lowrance is slower on certain things but you can connect the Xi5 Motorguide trolling motor to it. I have both side by side and I like the Simrad better. I do run the 4G Radar also so that's part of the reason for my opinion.

Keep in mind that the NSS7 Evo2 and the Gen3 HDS7 will both require 2 transducers that are usually not included. I think you can find combos out there but they might go over your budget.

The Garmin 93sv is a 9" screen that has built in maps, etc. and it comes with the GT40 transducer. Very good unit that retails for around $1200 also. My opinion is the bigger the screen the better, especially if you want to run side/down imaging at the same time. Only thing is this unit does not offer touchscreen, it's all buttons.

I don't know where you're located but if you want to take a look at the Simrad, Lowrance and Garmin units let me know, we can hit the lake so you can see them in action.
Posted By: benp

Re: Best Sonar/Electronics for Striper and Hybrids - 06/17/15 10:44 PM

Listen to Diel11! He is the Electronics Captain!

Hey Diel, do you need to buy any special box or anything to get that garmin 93sv and is it better than the 998 hd si that i have in your opinion? Might be a good upgrade

Re: Best Sonar/Electronics for Striper and Hybrids - 06/18/15 12:19 AM

No special box or anything additional needed. It's built in and the transducer is included. Just keep in mind Garmin units can't use any other mapping cards. You are stuck with Garmin. Their stuff is really good for most lakes but if you fish a small lake it might not be the best.
Posted By: Fish Wrangler

Re: Best Sonar/Electronics for Striper and Hybrids - 06/18/15 01:11 AM

We typically fish Lake Whitney and Lake Tawakoni and around the Rockport area on the coast. Do all the systems you have suggested come with good maps for these areas? Also, Diel, how would you compare the 3 systems?
Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: Best Sonar/Electronics for Striper and Hybrids - 06/18/15 03:56 AM

Just some food for thought… When searching and finding hybrids and stripers side imaging is king.

When dialed in the Humminbird still has the clearest picture available. I've heard the new Garmin stuff is a close 2nd while the Navico products still bringing up the rear. The 999 is close to ur price range. I just uploaded a ton of recent screenshots of hybrids and Stripers on our Facebook from my Onix 10.
Posted By: benp

Re: Best Sonar/Electronics for Striper and Hybrids - 06/18/15 02:07 PM

I need to dial my 998 in does not seem to look near as good as some of the garmin stuff
Posted By: crappiekat

Re: Best Sonar/Electronics for Striper and Hybrids - 06/19/15 12:21 PM

I have tried and tried to figure out the settings, youtube videos etc. for my hummingbird 398 CI SI. I just can't seem to get the settings right to show the clear pics that I see on here. Any suggestions on settings??

Re: Best Sonar/Electronics for Striper and Hybrids - 06/20/15 01:10 AM

Crappiekat, I would start with making sure the transducer is installed in a good spot and at a good angle. After that, go find some fish, then hit the cursor and adjust the picture then. I usually start with sensitivity then move to contrast. What works for me might not work for you. On SI I usually have the sensitivity around 12, and contrast around 9-10. Scroll speed around 3. On DI I usually go a bit hotter, around 14 on the sensitivity.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum