Texas Fishing Forum

Downrigger Question

Posted By: brock77

Downrigger Question - 06/15/15 09:53 PM

Im out in Arizona and I'm about to start trolling on a very popular striper lake. I have a poor man downrigger that my buddy out in texas taught me. Its a heddon hellbender modified to put a trailer and weight on it. I was wondering what where some popular trailers to use? I know the popular bait out here is frozen anchovies on live bait hooks. WHat are some of the artificial baits you guys use? Im trying them out next weekend on fathers day with all of my cousins and family so I'm hoping to have some backup plans if the anchovies aren't hitting
Posted By: Capt Craig

Re: Downrigger Question - 06/15/15 10:37 PM

I use a Cannon downrigger, but I prefer a chrome Pet #16 or #17 size.
Posted By: J-Rods Guide Service

Re: Downrigger Question - 06/15/15 10:55 PM

I also use Cannon down riggers but Rapala DD22 also work well for trolling in deep water.
Posted By: BlueTuna

Re: Downrigger Question - 06/15/15 11:06 PM

I use Cannon Downriggers checkout Moe's Flutter Spoon.
https://moestackleshop.com
Posted By: Zip-ur-Fly

Re: Downrigger Question - 06/15/15 11:14 PM

+1 on the Pet spoon.
Posted By: BADLANDER

Re: Downrigger Question - 06/15/15 11:32 PM

Tie I big [censored] Alabama rig on !!!!
Posted By: SWH

Re: Downrigger Question - 06/16/15 02:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Lewisvillan
Tie I big [censored] Alabama rig on !!!!

Had some success pulling a 3 rig Bama rig behind a hell bender for sandbass
Posted By: FishKiller

Re: Downrigger Question - 06/16/15 02:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Zip-ur-Fly
+1 on the Pet spoon.

++2 on Pet spoon. Best trolling addition to a line there is, bar none! Only bait I have ever used that make fish bite!
Posted By: FishKiller

Re: Downrigger Question - 06/16/15 02:30 AM

Originally Posted By: J-Rods Guide Service
I also use Cannon down riggers but Rapala DD22 also work well for trolling in deep water.

Use a three way swivel, D22 at the bottom tied 12" to 16" from the bottom and a pet spoon tied 8" off the middle and the main line at top. Run it a varying line out to adjust for depth and you can easily adjust your depth from 12 to 30ft! This is a killer combination!
Posted By: brock77

Re: Downrigger Question - 06/16/15 06:30 AM

Thank you guys for all the advice. ill have to grab a couple of those pet spoons seems to be popular on the internet. And i have a couple dd22 that ill try. has anyone ever tried a swim bait or a spinner bait on a down rigger because bass wishing i have accidentally caught stripers on those two.
Also to the alabama rig, unfortunately they are against the law here at least thats how i interpreted the law in the fishing book for arizona
Posted By: jbobo

Re: Downrigger Question - 06/16/15 03:47 PM

I think you can order some ronrigs from nekidtackle.com and only have one jig or bait in the center and have willow or colorado blades on the other arms and be legal if it is the multiple hook issue. You will have the baitfish look with only one hook that way. May miss some fish but with the jig in the center further back than the blades the fish usually strike the lagger in the school first. Check out ron's tackle. It is built to stand up to years of fishing. Much better than store bought brands. And inexpensive also.
Posted By: Brocephus

Re: Downrigger Question - 06/16/15 09:40 PM

Originally Posted By: FishKiller
Originally Posted By: J-Rods Guide Service

Use a three way swivel, D22 at the bottom tied 12" to 16" from the bottom and a pet spoon tied 8" off the middle and the main line at top. Run it a varying line out to adjust for depth and you can easily adjust your depth from 12 to 30ft! This is a killer combination!

I must try this...

+++3 on the Hell-pet. I like to use the black / white striped hell-bender because the fish will hit it thinking its a baby white bass. I have caught nice hybrids on this and I've never had one hit the silver or white hell bender. When I try to tie on something other than the pet spoon, such as an Alabama rig, the bait wont stay down and keeps popping up.
Posted By: SaltyDawg88

Re: Downrigger Question - 06/16/15 09:58 PM

I have even had good success with trolling with a big weight (2-6oz) and a leader tied to 3 way swivel.. then use a 3-4" gub or even a double jig rig.
Posted By: BlueTuna

Re: Downrigger Question - 06/17/15 03:58 AM

Academy sells the jet diver which does the same thing as a hellbenders but better. You can purchase jet divers for different depths and tie a spoon off of the back of the jet diver. The jet diver is color coded for different depths.
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Downrigger Question - 06/18/15 03:02 AM

Fishseeker divers are about the best I've found for diving baits deep while trolling. They are depth adjustable, and don't stress the rod nearly as much as the jet diver or hellbenders do. Only drawback with them is, you have to run about a 3' leader and go less that 3.5-4mph or they'll tip over.

I'm gonna try the three way swivel and D22 though. I could see that being very productive at times.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum