Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Lavon

Posted By: Pro Bait

Lake Lavon - 05/20/15 12:49 AM

For all of you that fish Lavon. I am taking my daughter fishing on Saturday for Sandies at Lavon. Suggestions on where to fish and what lures to use. This will be my first time on the lake. Should I go with jigs or minnows.
Posted By: sloveless

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/20/15 01:11 AM

Haven't had much luck lately, but I'm no expert.

Minnows would be a good bet, you can always throw a slab if live bait produces nothing.

I haven't found much fish yet, only a few over by Lavonia park and the riprap by the train tracks.

Live bait around the timber might produce some, haven't tried that yet this year.

Good luck and let us know how it goes - hopefully somebody else with more time on the water will chime in here.
Posted By: SeaPro-Todd

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/20/15 02:33 AM

May is the prime time for shad spawns on wind blown Shores at Lavon, and sandies are near by. First two hrs of day light. Tell your daughter to get there early to catch the pretty sunrise smile We usually camp at Clear Lake Park in May and very easy catching for my son and wife. With south wind, shad are all over from CL Park to Baptist encampment. There will be trees brush at shallow due to high water so you may have to fish deeper. Kasmaster, jigs, spinners will work. Minnow is easier for kids using multiple rods. Have fun!

If later in day, use your electronics. It's tougher later in day unless you do baits. smile
Posted By: Pro Bait

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/20/15 01:56 PM

Thanks for the responses. We will give it a go if any ramps are open Saturday. I understand the lake is still rising. I will call Collin Marina and see if that ramp is still open.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum