Texas Fishing Forum

Good News for PK

Posted By: PKfishin

Good News for PK - 05/05/15 11:22 PM

Post TX got an 8 inch rain. PK is expected to rise significantly in the next few days.

More than a 50% chance of rain all week too.
Posted By: Joe Slab

Re: Good News for PK - 05/06/15 12:21 AM

That's great news Mike. I know you love that lake. It was pretty good to you last year. fish
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Good News for PK - 05/06/15 02:03 AM

OUTSTANDING! cheers
Posted By: fishanhunt

Re: Good News for PK - 05/06/15 02:11 AM

I didn't realize the Brazos was anywhere near Post. I just looked at the map and that's a pretty good trek from Post to PK. How long for it to reach the lake ?
Posted By: Bluecatkayak

Re: Good News for PK - 05/06/15 03:27 AM

Alan Henry is gonna be over the spillway soon enough. I heard around 6 or 7 that Alan Henry was .72 feet from the spillway.

Re: Good News for PK - 05/06/15 01:35 PM

Not sure that it's the brazos below Post but a feeder creek called The Double Mountain fork that feeds Lake Alan Henry. Another feeder goes north of that town. This merges with the salt fork of the Brazos SW of Knox city on it's way to Seymour. All these areas got a lot of rain and those dry arroyos will gush with water after an 8 inch rain. Below Graham, Dry Branch comes in below Hubbard Creek but there's no help from there with that lake 30 feet low (interesting they built a lake on "dry Branch") Same thing for Salt Creek and comes from Lake Graham and Edleman, as they are way low.

Amazing that PK is a huge lake with a river feeding it that drains the West Texas desert.

Re: Good News for PK - 05/06/15 01:41 PM

I do love PK but that ole gal has been evil to me lately. Water is so murky with all the rain I'm having to use live bait. Stripers I'm getting on shiners are too small to keep. Shiners work pretty well at Texoma but don't get the big stripers excited at PK much. Too many Shad for them to eat. Guess I need to break down and buy a small shad tank.

I saw a guy catching some nice striper on perch, so that's an option as well. Perch are much less fragile but stripers like shad better. I guess it's kinda like my preference for Ribeye over venison. Striper will eat Perch but they better be hungry.

Looks like this whole week is a washout for fishing unless you want a "I was caught on Texoma in a thunderstorm story"
Posted By: B Lee

Re: Good News for PK - 05/06/15 01:58 PM

Come on Water............
Posted By: huntinfish

Re: Good News for PK - 05/06/15 03:20 PM

great news

Re: Good News for PK - 05/06/15 03:21 PM

palo pinto needs about 20 more inches of rain in the right place too

Re: Good News for PK - 05/06/15 04:40 PM

Palo Pinto lake would be the place to be for a guy with a kayak.
Posted By: Blues

Re: Good News for PK - 05/06/15 04:50 PM

Originally Posted By: PKfishin
Dry Branch comes in below Hubbard Creek but there's no help from there with that lake 30 feet low (interesting they built a lake on "dry Branch")

Amazing that PK is a huge lake with a river feeding it that drains the West Texas desert.

Hubbard is fed by big Sandy creek and Hubbard creek, neither of which had any rain on the watershed. Needs to be south of 180 east of 351 and north of I20 to help Hubbard. Pk has double or triple the watershed Hubbard does.

Brazos is up to 9ft in Rule this morning so it's half way to Pk now. Alan Henry is 100%
Posted By: RANDY WOOD

Re: Good News for PK - 05/06/15 06:17 PM

popcorn
grin grin
Waiting......come on water
I normally use the Willow Beach Ramp when the waters up.
This water could easily save me 4-6 trips to the public ramp a week.

Re: Good News for PK - 05/06/15 07:51 PM

bet that water is about to be extremely muddy for several weeks.

Re: Good News for PK - 05/06/15 07:52 PM

how have the whites been?

Re: Good News for PK - 05/06/15 09:42 PM

Randy: If 9 ft of water comes down that river you need to put in at the 1287 Bridge or Seymour. Those big ole gal stripers have been holding all that whoopie for 7 years.

Re: Good News for PK - 05/07/15 01:24 AM

Naa.....the fish I caught this weekend were over the whoopie thing.
All missiles with no belly.

Re: Good News for PK - 05/07/15 01:26 AM

Differant fish no eggs

Re: Good News for PK - 05/07/15 01:28 AM

Don't know why the server turned all three of us upside down loco

Re: Good News for PK - 05/07/15 03:00 AM

Big storms hammering Pk watershed now. Gauge on double mt fork at Rule still climbing will reach 10ft soon and isn't slowing down yet.

Gauge in aspermont climbing fast 8.5 ft now

Re: Good News for PK - 05/07/15 04:52 AM

Posted By: Pk Lake

Re: Good News for PK - 05/07/15 05:53 AM

At best we will only rise another foot or two. don't let these misleading post make you bthink something different. We are not going to fill up!!!!!!!

Re: Good News for PK - 05/07/15 10:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Pk Lake
At best we will only rise another foot or two. don't let these misleading post make you bthink something different. We are not going to fill up!!!!!!!
Who said y'all would fill up? Gonna take more than one rain event to bring the lake up 12ft. Here's where my misleading info is coming from.....

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/tx/nwis/current/?type=flow

Rule tx crested at 9.5 aspermont crested 8.5ft.....no that doesn't mean the lake will rise 8ft

It has came up 2ft in the last month and almost a foot in the last week and it's still slowing rising now. Every little bit helps.
http://waterdatafortexas.org/reservoirs/individual/possum-kingdom

Re: Good News for PK - 05/07/15 02:29 PM

If all those stripers spawned successfully, PK will be as full of small stripers as Texoma. We'll need the same catch limit for a while as well...10 no min length
Posted By: captaincam3

Re: Good News for PK - 05/07/15 02:42 PM

I'm pretty sure the only way pk has baby stripers is if they are stocked by the state. Texoma is only lake around that has perfect balance for natural spawning. Am I wrong?
Posted By: mike9582

Re: Good News for PK - 05/07/15 02:43 PM

Do the striper ever successfully spawn in pk? I thought Texoma was the only lake they would successfully spawn in.

Re: Good News for PK - 05/07/15 04:08 PM

Stipers do spawn on a limited basis in Whitney, Granbury, and PK. Stiper eggs need current to hatch. That is why spawning is limited.That information was given to me long ago by TP&W

Re: Good News for PK - 05/07/15 04:12 PM

If you look closely around docks and other structure at PK you will see billions of 3/4 inch fry swimming around.
Something made some whoopie. Most likely Sand bass or Threadfins.
Posted By: Catfish676

Re: Good News for PK - 05/07/15 07:02 PM

Agreed - with Alan Henry now full I believe we look to the Dbl Mtn Fork and Salt Forks from where they convene to Seymour and down to PK for hopeful heavy flow and rains. Correct me if I am wrong.

Re: Good News for PK - 05/07/15 07:11 PM

Brazos at Seymour is currently flowing at 1320cfs. Was at about 160cfs this time yesterday. Level has risen 3.5ft overnight.
Posted By: PK-Russ

Re: Good News for PK - 05/07/15 10:27 PM

Keep the updates coming guys. I'm stuck here in Houston and won't be able to make it up for 2 more weeks. Good news is as of 2 days ago my dock was finally floating. 3 weeks ago half of it was on dry land.

Re: Good News for PK - 05/08/15 03:26 AM

Brazos at Seymour is at 1550cfs. In 2014, it was 0.00cfs at one point.

River got another big dump this evening between Seymour and Olney. Alan Henry is running heavy still around the dam. Looks like it rained 2-3in along most of that stretch from Seymour to Olney. Ideal for PK. If the lake does not come up past 990msl tomorrow, I may have to call bs. Good news is more expected thru Sunday.

This is all great, but only complaint is it might make the fishing tough - which I was planning to do this weekend...Randy "PK Fish Whisperer" Wood can tell us for sure... What say ye, ole wise one?

Or maybe I will just head out there to watch it rain all weekend....

Re: Good News for PK - 05/08/15 03:27 AM

Pouring in FW now. Gutters can't keep up.

Re: Good News for PK - 05/08/15 03:44 AM

Not that I can believe this...

IMPORTANT! THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN FORT WORTH HAS ISSUED A FLOOD WARNING FOR THE BRAZOS RIVER NEAR SOUTH BEND.
* FROM FRIDAY MORNING TO LATE FRIDAY NIGHT OR UNTIL THE WARNING IS CANCELLED.
* AT 0830 PM THURSDAY THE STAGE WAS 5.06 FEET.
* FLOOD STAGE IS 21.0 FEET.
* MINOR FLOODING IS FORECAST.
* FORECAST - THE RIVER SHOULD RISE ABOVE FLOOD STAGE BY FRIDAY MORNING AND CONTINUE TO RISE TO A CREST NEAR 22 FEET BY FRIDAY MORNING. THE RIVER SHOULD FALL BELOW FLOOD STAGE BY FRIDAY AFTERNOON.

Re: Good News for PK - 05/08/15 03:52 AM

Fish the middle..... hooked
No north or west.
Catfish are biting in in the muddy water....north and west

Re: Good News for PK - 05/08/15 04:05 PM

Randy can always catch them but it may be tough for you. If the water is dingy better get some bait. Last weekend I saw a guy fishing from a canoe and he had a full stringer of nice stripers he caught on perch, so you won't have to have shad. Shad would be best but they are very hard to keep alive. Plus throwing a cast net in PK can be expensive because one of those petrified cedars is not going to give it back if you get on one. There are several hanging from cedars in Neely slough to testify of this.

Re: Good News for PK - 05/09/15 10:49 AM

I agree with everything you said. Did not mark any significant fish from Grady Spruce to the Darn last weekend on the graph. Not many bait balls either. Just not there. Fish must still be upstream. Perhaps the heavy river flow may indicate a successful striper spawn if at all possible..?? Have not mastered the cast net yet but need to practice. Def the key to the elusive and magic shad. Discovered last Summer that the striper were more than happy to eat perch after hearing many say they simply wont. False.

BTW, more incredible rains over the right area for PK inflow. Brazos at South Bend (right above PK) gate is at 19.72ft and a flow 11,900cfs. Wow. Lake hasnt budged, but it will - has to. Likely more coming in foreseeable future.

Re: Good News for PK - 05/09/15 12:03 PM

She is bugging slowly for now

Re: Good News for PK - 05/09/15 02:39 PM

South Bend gage now at 21.18ft and flow at 14,000cfs. Bona fide flood stage.

Re: Good News for PK - 05/09/15 07:05 PM

21.95ft & 15,100cfs.

Re: Good News for PK - 05/09/15 07:16 PM

captaincam3: The stripers we have been catching for the most part were from a spawn of the few that survived the golden algae during the flood of 08.

Re: Good News for PK - 05/09/15 07:16 PM

That's real good news catfish676: By the way, what is the website for that info?

I just hope we don't get so much flow the BRA opens the flood gates and sends our stripers to granbury.
Posted By: fishonmyline

Re: Good News for PK - 05/09/15 08:40 PM

A lot more headed that way. Brazos just west of Knox City is out of its banks and rolling good.

Re: Good News for PK - 05/10/15 12:11 AM

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/tx/nwis/uv?cb_...date=2015-05-08

Direct link to Brazos gage at South Bend. Now over 22ft. Must be incredible to see in person.

Re: Good News for PK - 05/10/15 12:14 AM

If they let 1 non-required drop of that prized water out of PK...may be marshall law out there.

Lake is up to 988.44

Re: Good News for PK - 05/10/15 02:07 PM

PK at 989.04. Sorry I was offline building tiny little rowboats for our pets last night.

Re: Good News for PK - 05/11/15 04:51 AM

Just saw Lake Palo Pinto is only 1.35ft from full pool. That's over 14ft rise in 30 days. Amazing.
Posted By: PK-Russ

Re: Good News for PK - 05/12/15 12:41 AM

Lake is up a couple more feet in the last 48 hrs. BRA is predicting as much as 5 more feet in the next week. Things are looking up. My dock was on dry land for over a year. It's now sitting in over 2' of water and steadily climbing.

Re: Good News for PK - 05/12/15 12:47 AM

I think the BRA still owes a bunch of water in that Million Acre foot sale. Don't get attached to it.

Re: Good News for PK - 05/12/15 06:43 PM

I really hope they don't open any gates at PK. Would be a real shame and not needed. Brazos was a roaring rapid 10mi downstream just yesterday.
Posted By: GMB

Re: Good News for PK - 05/12/15 07:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Blues
Originally Posted By: Pk Lake
Who said y'all would fill up? Gonna take more than one rain event to bring the lake up 12ft. Here's where my misleading info is coming from.....

Rule tx crested at 9.5 aspermont crested 8.5ft.....no that doesn't mean the lake will rise 8ft

It has came up 2ft in the last month and almost a foot in the last week and it's still slowing rising now. Every little bit helps.
http://waterdatafortexas.org/reservoirs/individual/possum-kingdom

It does appear to me that it is going to fill up. Has come up 5 foot since this "misleading" post was posted. duel Only needs to come up another 7 foot and it will be full up!

GMB

Re: Good News for PK - 05/12/15 07:34 PM

UGS stream data shows the flow is decreasing allot. I think it stops around -5. Brazos at south bend before the lake was 11,000 now at 4000.

Posted By: GMB

Re: Good News for PK - 05/12/15 08:09 PM

Originally Posted By: PKfishin
UGS stream data shows the flow is decreasing allot. I think it stops around -5. Brazos at south bend before the lake was 11,000 now at 4000.

PKfishin - I have no idea what that means?? hammer
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum