Texas Fishing Forum

May 2 & May 3 Fishing Report

Posted By: don the angler

May 2 & May 3 Fishing Report - 05/04/15 01:34 PM

The guide trips worked out well this weekend. As a matter of fact they were the best so far this year. The weather was perfect, the lake was not crowded, and the whites were cooperating. LL has not been treating me very well, so I took my customers to another local lake. grin

Saturday Geoffrey and daughter Anna and son Chase joined me. The fish were hungry from the start. I was worried if Anna would ever catch one and then she got the hang of it and I believe she out fished her father and brother for the rest of the day. Most fish came on the slab and some on the fly in about 19 feet of water. It was catch and release and I enjoyed that part since I did not have fish to clean at the end of the day. Total for the day: 144. Only about 25% of them were keepers The lake has a lot of small ones and things look good for next year. I had children in the boat a couple of weeks ago and I remember them taking off their youth life vests. Do not know where they are now and I could not find the vests Saturday.

Sunday was another beautiful day on the water. Gene and his daughter Holly have been going with me for the last five years. He is 83 years old and suffered with polio when he was young. The entire left side of his body is very weak and getting weaker. Holly said she hoped we could get him in the boat this time. I talked to my old time friend Henry Munoz and he said he would be happy to tag along and help with Gene. It was a real blessing that he came along. We got Gene in the boat easily. The trouble was at the end of the day. We struggled repetitively and just could not get him up on the dock. About that time a Grapevine policeman showed up. He suggested we call the fire department and I told him to let us try one more time. We just could not do it. So he made a call and in about five minutes we heard the sirens. About 8 of them showed up. The firemen were all young guys and the teamed up and lifted him on the dock with no trouble. The policeman and the firemen just could not have been any more professional. They were great! Kudos to the Grapevine public servants. thanks I think the policeman was Officer Cope.

Sunday's fishing was excellent. We fished the same 19' water and landed 160 whites.

Holly and Gene

Holly and Henry

I cleaned about 25 for their dinner and the rest of the day's catch were released. Still about 25% were over 10 inches. I do not know who enjoyed the two days more: me or my guests.
Posted By: Bassthumb: Phill's Guide Svc

Re: May 2 & May 3 Fishing Report - 05/04/15 01:58 PM

well done Sir! sounds like you guys had a great time.
Posted By: CenTexan

Re: May 2 & May 3 Fishing Report - 05/04/15 03:05 PM

Great post. And great job to you and the first responders for making Mr. Genes day by finding a way to get him out and fishing. That's definitely the feel good post of the day!
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: May 2 & May 3 Fishing Report - 05/04/15 04:18 PM

Nice work!
Posted By: dentonian

Re: May 2 & May 3 Fishing Report - 05/04/15 05:16 PM

You da man Don ! It's been sooo long since we've got reliable action on Lewisville Lake, you've got to at least tell us what lake you had so much fun on ! grin

Re: May 2 & May 3 Fishing Report - 05/04/15 06:05 PM

Here is a hint. The Grapevine Fire and Rescue responded as stated in the origional post.
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: May 2 & May 3 Fishing Report - 05/04/15 06:43 PM

Very nice Don. Happy customers. Glad to see you are still whacking fish even if you have to go to lake G:)
Posted By: I love fishing

Re: May 2 & May 3 Fishing Report - 05/04/15 09:20 PM

Hi Don. Great to see Gene again. I'm sure glad he's able to fish with you again. Glad to see Lake G has some actions. That is one tough lake for me just like Lewisville. I've been hitting Tawakoni for a few months now. Thanks for the report Don. I'll see you some time on the lake.

Re: May 2 & May 3 Fishing Report - 05/04/15 10:10 PM

Gene asked about you, Guy. He is weaker now than he was last year.
Posted By: LipRip

Re: May 2 & May 3 Fishing Report - 05/05/15 06:11 PM

Great report Don!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum