Texas Fishing Forum

Ray Roberts sand bass question

Posted By: DaggerDoc1

Ray Roberts sand bass question - 04/17/15 02:09 AM

So a while back maybe August to September timeframe I was fishing Ray Roberts about 8-10 fow off wolf island and the water started boiling like crazy with sandbass destroying shad for nearly as far as I could see in the late afternoon hours. For all you guys that know about sand bass does this happen every year or often or what's up with it? I was told they were beefing up for the winter maybe. Idk all I know it was really cool and a blast and Id def like to know more about it.
Posted By: stewage

Re: Ray Roberts sand bass question - 04/17/15 06:10 PM

Are you asking if it occurs on that scale once a year?

I've never seen it that large, but I would think it happens every time a school of shad gets that large and a large enough school of sandies finds them.

I don't know if it happens all summer, or only in the summer, because I used to only fish during the summer. Someone with more knowledge than I would have to inform you of that.

If you're ever out on the lake and you see the birds swarming a spot on the water, you know there is some type of fish below it. I'm surprised you didn't see any with the scale you're describing.

Some of my fondest memories of fishing are of my father and I getting skunked fishing for crappie for hours(or as I call it "fishing with dad"). We would race across Ray Roberts to find the shad boiling, or looking for the birds feeding on the shad, stop outside of them and pull up a fish every cast.

Re: Ray Roberts sand bass question - 04/17/15 06:36 PM

There were plenty of birds especially 2 large hawk looking birds that when the fish would slow down they would dive in and let us know where to cruise to. It was a blast and lasted at least s couple weeks like clockwork as soon as we would see the big white birds flying back into Indian they'd start boiling. I have some cell phone video where it looks and sounds like we are fishing in a hail storm due to all the sandies breaking the surface.

Posted By: Basshead21

Re: Ray Roberts sand bass question - 04/17/15 07:45 PM

What time of the year was that pic taken?

Re: Ray Roberts sand bass question - 04/17/15 08:53 PM

If memory serves I wanna say around August or September. But I have been blown up a time or two so my memory is shot. Maybe into October but it was within that time frame.

Re: Ray Roberts sand bass question - 04/17/15 08:58 PM

Everyday same time frame I'd start cruising that area and as soon as it started almost every cast with a slab we'd drag one in and of course about a million other boats would come sliding in some so close had to stay on the tm on the windy days to keep from colliding with em. Some days we kinda got a unspoken system worked out that we'd all head west on our trolling motors in a line then turn back once we hit about 13 fow and repeat the process

Re: Ray Roberts sand bass question - 04/17/15 09:18 PM

youtube
Not sure how to post a link on here but I posted it on YouTube as Ray Roberts sand bass fishing 2014
Posted By: Thunderbolt

Re: Ray Roberts sand bass question - 04/18/15 01:18 AM

It happens every summer.
Posted By: stewage

Re: Ray Roberts sand bass question - 04/18/15 04:28 AM

Yeah, it is an excellent time to get someone who is unfamiliar with fishing into fishing.

It really is more like catching.

Until this year I thought that was the only way to catch sand bass. blush
Posted By: Stump Finder

Re: Ray Roberts sand bass question - 04/21/15 02:38 AM

It's a summer thing and yes it's all summer.
Posted By: CBFisher

Re: Ray Roberts sand bass question - 04/21/15 06:13 PM

Yep every year! Gets real good in August. I love it!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum