Texas Fishing Forum

Umbrella Rigs

Posted By: TBS

Umbrella Rigs - 04/13/15 05:59 PM

Looking to try an umbrella rig. I fished with a guide a few weeks ago and had decent luck. What brand do you recommend? I thought the one he was using had everything in the kit. All I am finding are the actual wire rigs and you buy the baits separately. Is there one that has the rigs, hook, baits, and everything with it?
Posted By: Joe Slab

Re: Umbrella Rigs - 04/13/15 06:04 PM

Look at Moe's A rigs. I've used them and they work well. Moe's tackle he's on the form.
Posted By: FishBeeLowMe

Re: Umbrella Rigs - 04/13/15 07:54 PM

I'm still working on some ARigs? Keep sayN 7-10 days? Very complicated lure to spin cast.
Posted By: steven1968

Re: Umbrella Rigs - 04/13/15 09:48 PM

Strike King titanium. Stupid price but they run great and don't bend.
Posted By: karpbuster

Re: Umbrella Rigs - 04/13/15 09:57 PM

Originally Posted By: TBS
Looking to try an umbrella rig. I fished with a guide a few weeks ago and had decent luck. What brand do you recommend? I thought the one he was using had everything in the kit. All I am finding are the actual wire rigs and you buy the baits separately. Is there one that has the rigs, hook, baits, and everything with it?

Yes the Captn Mac ones have everything. I have used them at Elephant Butte for stripers.

Capt Mac
Posted By: Fishing Frank

Re: Umbrella Rigs - 04/13/15 10:30 PM

Check out the Ron Rig nekidtackle.com
Posted By: jbobo

Re: Umbrella Rigs - 04/14/15 01:21 AM

Ronrigs are good. I've used them at PK and Texoma and caught some big fish with them. His price is a lot better than some of the others, too. I've not tried moe's or capt mack's yet. A buddy had a Capt Mack's one day while I was fishing with him at Texoma and I got to reel in a Striper that bottomed his scales out at 17.5 lb. that we hooked on the capt mack rig. We think it weighed around 22 or 23 lbs. I bought new scales the next day that go to 50 lbs. lol My plug for ronrigs/ nekid tackle. A great guy to do business with.
Posted By: gborg

Re: Umbrella Rigs - 04/14/15 11:03 AM

And the favorite jig/plastic swim bait combo is ?????
Posted By: jbobo

Re: Umbrella Rigs - 04/14/15 01:50 PM

chartreuse or white jig head. 1/4 oz to 1 1/2 oz depending on the depth you want to reach. you have to add up the weight of each jig head to get the total weight for the umbrella rigs depth plus troll speed. white, white ice, or chartreuse sassy shad, flukes, curly tail grubs, etc. these work also when casting single baits as well. all depends on what the fish want on any given day.
Posted By: MtnDew

Re: Umbrella Rigs - 04/14/15 05:18 PM

I am far from an expert, but trolled alot last year with my father using 5 wire A-rigs. We usually had 2 rigs in the water at a time and size of the lure made more impact than color or shape. Personally I like curly tails and I would usually add a 6" to 12" leader on the center wire to make one bait trail behind the group. That one trailing behind got the majority of the hits.

Looking at prefabbed stripper rigs they have a mix of curly tails, paddle tails and bucktails. Looking at all the pictures posted on here I see alot of sassy shad paddle tails smile

Good luck
Posted By: 83falcon

Re: Umbrella Rigs - 04/15/15 10:59 PM

Let me know what u come up with. Im also looking.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum