Texas Fishing Forum

Proper distance from Guides when trolling.

Posted By: steven1968

Proper distance from Guides when trolling. - 04/13/15 05:28 PM

So I'm genuinely curious as to what the expectation is. Fish go where they go and we follow, or try to. I try to stay at least 50yds. away as I go by and I don't circle around them. I try not to troll between them if a group are anchored in a long line, though sometimes water depth doesn't give you a choice. I go by one and he's looking over towards me. I wave and see him shake his head. Not close enough to see his facial expression, but I assume he's not happy with my pass. I've been trolling up and down that bank for hours before he was even there. Later in the day, he goes 1/4 mile off his course to buzz by me at 50' doing 30 MPH when I'm anchored and pitching flukes. He didn't even look over and I doubt his paying customers were aware of what he was doing. Now, at 50yds and 2.5 mph, I'm not affecting his fishing one bit. I'm also not honing in on some secret spot, as we're in a frequently fished area. I have tens of thousands of dollars invested in my rig, and it takes me 2 hours to get to the lake. I have as much right to fish respectfully as he does. This is not an indictment on all guides at all, but I figure I'd see what the expectation is, and if it's reasonable or not.
Posted By: RANDY WOOD

Re: Proper distance from Guides when trolling. - 04/13/15 07:09 PM

It really does not bother me to much if someone slows trolls by. I fish of a lot points.
It does bother me when boaters go by me on plane between my boat and the bank.
Bass boats are the worst about cutting across a point I am fishing at speed.
We all have the right to be there.....I try to play nice with most everyone.....
If your a guide and really on fish they normally come back if scared away.
If not I just go find more!
There is no excuse for being rude. Guides should be the most polite of anyone on the lake.
Posted By: Ray Hubbard Guide- J.V.

Re: Proper distance from Guides when trolling. - 04/13/15 07:20 PM

If you are there trolling , minding your own business first .. Then nobody should get mad if they anchor in your troll line .. And you troll on by smile the only thing that bothers me sometimes and it's not because I am a guide .. If I am at a spot catching fish stationary .. Then someone comes out of know where and starts trolling around me .. Lol .. It has nothing to do with the method or that I am a guide .. I just look at it as common courtesy smile if somebody is trolling in a spot .. I would never stop the boat and get stationary in their path .. They where there first .. And if I fished in the area I dang sure wouldn't get mad when someone trolls close cause he was Doing that before I got there smile we all have the right to be on the water .. I sometimes troll if need to ..
Posted By: benp

Re: Proper distance from Guides when trolling. - 04/13/15 07:32 PM

Trolling posts can get out of hand here lol...

I think one of the issues with trolling and I assume it was on Texoma is that there are long lanes for trolling and timing might not be in your favor. you could troll past all the islands and call that a lane so to speak and you could make a run one way and come back to find a boat anchored in your path that never even saw you in the first place. at that point it looks like you came up on them when it was actually the opposite. If every one is just respectful it is easy to get along. Guide or not we all know what would make us mad, so just try not to do it to others is all.
Posted By: mperl

Re: Proper distance from Guides when trolling. - 04/13/15 07:36 PM

Randy and Steven are both spot on. Some guides are sweet as can be, some are not. Some fishermen are courteous, some are not. NOBODY owns the spot they are fishing from. That's life.
Posted By: Ray Hubbard Guide- J.V.

Re: Proper distance from Guides when trolling. - 04/13/15 07:43 PM

Originally Posted By: benp

I think one of the issues with trolling and I assume it was on Texoma is that there are long lanes for trolling and timing might not be in your favor. you could troll past all the islands and call that a lane so to speak and you could make a run one way and come back to find a boat anchored in your path that never even saw you in the first place. at that point it looks like you came up on them when it was actually the opposite. If every one is just respectful it is easy to get along. Guide or not we all know what would make us mad, so just try not to do it to others is all.

Well .. If you troll 3 miles and turn around and 2 miles down someone anchored .. Lol .. If you get mad about that then that's the trollers fault smile just be respectful is my way of doing things smile
Posted By: FishBeeLowMe

Re: Proper distance from Guides when trolling. - 04/13/15 08:00 PM

50 yds seems fair. If a lure chunker or minnow dunker breaks in on a troller, not cool. If birds are working and 3-5 lure chunkers are working that school, trollers break in....Not cool. Mostly common sense?
Posted By: Anchorman

Re: Proper distance from Guides when trolling. - 04/13/15 08:12 PM

Sounds to me like all the responses are common sense and reasonable. Its a big lake and there is always room. No need to crowd. They claim running a big motor over feeding fish will lock them up....who knows.

My opinion is pretty consistent with all the responses. It depends on the situation. But generally I'd say 50 yards is a little close.
Posted By: sandjohnny

Re: Proper distance from Guides when trolling. - 04/13/15 08:26 PM

My pet peve is I find fish and get on top of them and jig straight up and down. So many trollers can't stand it and troll around you in circles as close as 25 ft.You try to tell them how you are catching them but they refuse to fish any way except trolling. I just leave and go find more fish. I cannot get in a conforation with customers in the boat and many times kids. I try to be patience with trollers because I understand that is the only way most of them can find fish. It would be so easy if people would just use some common sense.
Johnny
Posted By: Ruff n Redi

Re: Proper distance from Guides when trolling. - 04/13/15 08:42 PM

I agree if you are trolling a 1-3 mile line then you can't expect people to know where you will be next. As I have already posted, I was on a bank trolling 100 yd strip, a guide in a wrapped boat watched us pull a fish and then set up when I started moving right where we caught the fish. He had 8 customers throwing sassys as far as they could. I went around him first time and we had words. Second time I came within 50' of him, so and he had his customers throw all their baits over my lines. Not a good idea, I was trolling with braid, he had mono on. I never troll around someone that is stationary, jigging, fishing with live bait, or throwing. I fish all those ways too. I had 2 women on my boat and wind was blowing, so I trolled. But this guy was wrong. (Easter Weekend)

fish

Re: Proper distance from Guides when trolling. - 04/13/15 09:25 PM

Thanks all. I was trolling a long line around a point, so I had no issue with several boats that ended up on the line I was trolling. I just roll on by far enough not to interfere. Boats troll by one another within 30' of each other and still catch fish, so I don't know what the issue was. Had a guide earlier in the day cut between me and the shore running hard. I was probably 125 yds. off the bank. I still caught fish. Though the waders probably didn't appreciate the wake. smile Unless the fish are surfaced and you run through them, I'm not sure boat traffic has a lot of impact. All my fish were caught in the bottom 5' of water, except for a few Whites. I may be wrong there, but that's been my limited experience.
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Proper distance from Guides when trolling. - 04/13/15 09:30 PM

Ah, the obligatory spring trolling thread. And I see at least one person has already resorted to condescension. A trolling thread promises to never disappoint.

Re: Proper distance from Guides when trolling. - 04/13/15 09:33 PM

Originally Posted By: sandjohnny
My pet peve is I find fish and get on top of them and jig straight up and down. So many trollers can't stand it and troll around you in circles as close as 25 ft.You try to tell them how you are catching them but they refuse to fish any way except trolling. I just leave and go find more fish. I cannot get in a conforation with customers in the boat and many times kids. I try to be patience with trollers because I understand that is the only way most of them can find fish. It would be so easy if people would just use some common sense.
Johnny

That I just don't understand. Trolling is a great way to locate fish, or catch them when they are scattered about and not schooling. Especially when you can only get to a lake a couple times a year. But there's not much more fun then jigging or casting a school. Getting lures to 25+ feet when trolling requires methods that do take away some of the fun of the fight.
Posted By: me and the boys

Re: Proper distance from Guides when trolling. - 04/13/15 09:34 PM

One paticular guide on rc with a big guaranteed on the side got me the same way.
Guess he figuerred it was his secret super spot.

Re: Proper distance from Guides when trolling. - 04/13/15 09:43 PM

Originally Posted By: psycho0819
Ah, the obligatory spring trolling thread. And I see at least one person has already resorted to condescension. A trolling thread promises to never disappoint.

Hmm. A troll-ing post in a trolling thread. smile Threads not a rant. Just want to know what the local expectation is. I grew up trolling the Chesapeake bay for stripers and bluefish. You try to stay out of the headboats chum line. 50yds seems plenty wide to me, but I don't know if locally that's normal or not.
Posted By: horton5303

Re: Proper distance from Guides when trolling. - 04/13/15 09:50 PM

Guides should be the friendliest on the lake fore sure. There reputation could be ruined very easily. I go out of my way to avoid other boats. In fact i almost got stuck on a hump last year trying to avoid a guide and his clients! Ha!
Posted By: jbobo

Re: Proper distance from Guides when trolling. - 04/14/15 01:36 AM

Everyone has a right to the water they are on first. Guides, weekend boaters, kayaks, or tubers/ waders. Doesn't matter. Everyone, especially guides, should be respectful of others. A guide can sometimes get referals or calls from the people they fish around. If a guide is a jerk, fewer people will recommend him to others. There are guides on every lake that are jerks to others at times.
Posted By: RANDY WOOD

Re: Proper distance from Guides when trolling. - 04/14/15 02:22 AM

One of the things different about PK and Texoma is......
At Texoma you can troll for miles......
At PK you can troll about 6-8 feet and you will lose three lures hammer
The trees can drive ya crazy!
Spot Lock and cheap anchors are your friend at PK
If I hadn't fished all the other lakes my opinion would not count lol
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Proper distance from Guides when trolling. - 04/14/15 04:04 AM

Originally Posted By: RANDY WOOD
One of the things different about PK and Texoma is......
At Texoma you can troll for miles......
At PK you can troll about 6-8 feet and you will lose three lures hammer
The trees can drive ya crazy!
Spot Lock and cheap anchors are your friend at PK
If I hadn't fished all the other lakes my opinion would not count lol

This would be funny if it wasn't true. Last time we went to PK we were having a tough time catching anything. When the wind picked up we decided to try trolling. Picked up a 2 lb sandie on a deep diving crank bait before losing it. After loosing 2 deep divers and marking fish about 10' down in 30' of water, I tied on 2 square bills. Lost 2 square bills following the 30' contour line in Caddo.

Re: Proper distance from Guides when trolling. - 04/14/15 11:22 AM

Not picking on trollers just stating what happens to me a lot. A typical experience is as follows.
My boat is catching lotz of fish and some doubles. As they get closer and closer I explain how I am catching
fish and offer to give them the lures I am using and they inform me that have tried slabbing and it don't work. Most of the time they will get so close I will leave and go find more fish. There is a lot of people who know me will verify that I doubt if anybody helps as many people as I do but some people can't be helped.
Johnny
Posted By: Fritz423

Re: Proper distance from Guides when trolling. - 04/14/15 12:13 PM

It's funny when a guy looks down their nose at somebody else's way of fishing. Small minds.

Re: Proper distance from Guides when trolling. - 04/14/15 12:17 PM

The only 2 fish I ever caught on PK was trolling at the Dam. Then a ski boat came along and ran over all three lines. He had lots of Mono on his prop that day. Loaded up came home, and haven't been back. On trolling on lakes with trees, like Ben Brook and PK, I usually make a pass with out lures and watch my down imaging, 2D won't pick up trees very well. If no trees I change colors on my chart and start trolling. Takes a little time, but saves money.
By the way, Johnny you are the most informative and courteous guide I have ever met. If people tell you slabs don't work on EM, that means they haven't tried "Ole Ugly Slabs"! I hope to be trying them soon on EM.
fish
Posted By: Tx Tree Grower

Re: Proper distance from Guides when trolling. - 04/14/15 01:45 PM

Maybe I've been lucky but I can't remember the last time my fishing was interrupted by a guy trolling. With that said if I see a guy trolling I typically stay out of his way. Really all comes down to respecting the first guy on a spot. In my opinion the first guy there sets the rules.

For example we drift fish live bait in the summer. Never fails when we get on a good drift pattern that some guy will get right in our drift path, hit spot lock, and start chucking a slab. I never make a big deal of it. I usually move over or just leave. The point is somebody chucking a slab, or drifting live bait can be just as disruptive to their fellow fishermen as people trolling. Really it all comes down to common courtesy and being a little more observant of what is going on around you.

Re: Proper distance from Guides when trolling. - 04/14/15 02:01 PM

Kubroe could not agree more.
Johnny
Posted By: LipRip

Re: Proper distance from Guides when trolling. - 04/14/15 02:10 PM

Pay attention, be respectful and use common sense if you have any. If you don't have any common sense...... well then this thread won't mean much to ya anyway.
Not much different than the sailboats at Eagle.

When people are idiots... I just leave the area and go find more fish!
Posted By: TJH

Re: Proper distance from Guides when trolling. - 04/14/15 02:10 PM

It always cracks me up because I am not a guide but... people will spot me on my Jet Ski, Center Console or Tritoon and know I catch fish so they will follow me. I don't always catch fish. Sometimes we are just chillin' and drinking beer or after the ever elusive snake (from earlier post). I always share where they are biting.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Proper distance from Guides when trolling. - 04/14/15 02:20 PM

Here's the key question - are you trolling with your main motor, or with the electric TM? If you're using your big motor to troll, I'd say you need to maintain more distance than if using the electric.

Good rule of thumb is that if the other person can cast a lure into your lap, you're probably too close.

Yeah, I've had my share of learning experiences getting too close to other people and didn't even think about it at the time because I was preoccupied with getting on the fish.

Re: Proper distance from Guides when trolling. - 04/14/15 02:22 PM

It is all about respect, regardless of the method another fisherman in using. We all can't be guides who spend every day on the water. Some people troll simply because it is the most productive way for them to put fish in the boat on a given day. i don't see that as a negative, but at least a few others do. People use the tools at their disposal, and we shouldn't be on here making negative comments unless someone clearly is out of line in their actions. I've had more negative experiences with guide boats on the water (all on one lake) than I have had with trollers. But I'm not on here lumping all guides together and making snide comments about them.

Sure, there are ignorant people in anything, and ignorance is not a bad thing in and of itself, most of them want to learn, and can be educated if a little tact is used. But those who willfully remain ignorant, well they will potlick and screw up someone elses fishing no matter the method employed. Nothing we can do about that.

As for the OP, 50yds should be fine. No doubt someone will still take issue with that distance at some point. My advice is, stay far enough that you're out of range of a casted slab, and you should be OK.
Posted By: Cooltex

Re: Proper distance from Guides when trolling. - 04/14/15 02:40 PM

I fish from our coastal flats to the fabled waters of lake texoma and have numerous experiences of people doing something that I viewed as a bonehead move as I'm sure many of you have too. I troll, fish lures, and drowned bait I try to treat people the way I would like to be treated so if I trolled by someone and we didn't have a friendly exchange I would give a wider birth. With that being said I've had some productive conversations with someone trolling close or drifting by me on anchor.
Posted By: benp

Re: Proper distance from Guides when trolling. - 04/14/15 02:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Ray Hubbard Guide- J.V.

Well .. If you troll 3 miles and turn around and 2 miles down someone anchored .. Lol .. If you get mad about that then that's the trollers fault smile just be respectful is my way of doing things smile

That is basically what I was trying to point out. it is hard to say who has any right of way some situations so being courteous is always best
Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: Proper distance from Guides when trolling. - 04/14/15 02:59 PM

We had a trolling incident last week on Twok.

Was on the dam fishing the rocks just like the other 75 boats that day. I happen to be towards one end of the dam when a boat with 2 fellows in it appeared to be trolling the rocks...Within 20-30ft of rocks. His path led through my boat and about 12 other boats in his direction. As he closed in, I assumed he would make a swing around me and continue in his direction. I was wrong.

He came within 20ft of my boat and persisted for me to move and at first actually tried to go between me and the rocks (25ft)...but someone on my boat had a line snagged in the rocks and I suppose he saw that.

So, he power throttles around us, throwing a big wake highly upset we were "in his way" and cuts right back on the rocks throwing all 4 of his trolling lines in, over and through my boat.

I didn't say anything to him...I just remembered all the posts on the TFF about folks without common sense and stupid people. At that time, I kinda laughed at the situation and thought...man, there really are some selfish folk out there.
Posted By: Bluwave Mike

Re: Proper distance from Guides when trolling. - 04/14/15 04:27 PM

The real problem becomes when fish are on top feeding or on reel shallow flats. People who only troll dont understand this and should hire a guide to learn more about fishing. Not being a lake police but 50 yards is close when your big motor is running.
Posted By: parkermw

Re: Proper distance from Guides when trolling. - 04/14/15 05:56 PM

Being new to owning a boat I have wonder the proper distance to keep. I try to keep a good distance between me and another boat. I have been fishing PK lately. The lake is narrow in many places. Its hard to pass without being within 50 yards of another. I slow down to not disrupt the other boats fishing.
The last time my son and myself were there catfishing in the upper lake. We had set out a trot line in the tree line. We saw a boat with several people come by and set up fishing in the open area. We had to go around them to get to the trot line. I kept my distance and slow down to be respectful to the other boat.
I am still learning about all fishing. We wanted to get close enough to find out what they were fishing for. We watched from a distance trying to learn something. When is it proper to get close enough to talk to another boat fishing or not?

Thanks for any info. Trying to be a better boater and fisherman.

Re: Proper distance from Guides when trolling. - 04/14/15 06:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Bluwave Mike
The real problem becomes when fish are on top feeding or on reel shallow flats. People who only troll dont understand this and should hire a guide to learn more about fishing. Not being a lake police but 50 yards is close when your big motor is running.

Not to start an argument about the distance in question, but I never run baits more than 150' from my boat/motor when trolling, and I can catch a lot of fish trolling at certain times of the year. So if my baits are catching fish within 50yds of my motor I don't see how my motor is going to disturb fish that are farther away (ie, under another boat >50yds away). Again, not trying to be argumentative or disrespectful, just making an observation. Thoughts?

Re: Proper distance from Guides when trolling. - 04/14/15 07:07 PM

Originally Posted By: parkermw
Being new to owning a boat I have wonder the proper distance to keep. I try to keep a good distance between me and another boat. I have been fishing PK lately. The lake is narrow in many places. Its hard to pass without being within 50 yards of another. I slow down to not disrupt the other boats fishing.
The last time my son and myself were there catfishing in the upper lake. We had set out a trot line in the tree line. We saw a boat with several people come by and set up fishing in the open area. We had to go around them to get to the trot line. I kept my distance and slow down to be respectful to the other boat.
I am still learning about all fishing. We wanted to get close enough to find out what they were fishing for. We watched from a distance trying to learn something. When is it proper to get close enough to talk to another boat fishing or not?

Thanks for any info. Trying to be a better boater and fisherman.

Wait til fish are surfacing, then you can join the boat show and be close enough to climb in someone elses boat and talk.

Seriously though, getting close enough to converse with another boat is a crapshoot. I'd be fine with it and so would a lot of others here, and I'd give you any tips I could. Others would throw a screaming hissy fit that would shame my 6yr old kid right there on the deck of their boat.

My advice is to take mental notes of the boats you see, and where they are, then try to chat them up at the ramp later. It doesn't pay off on that particular trip, but most people are ready to brag and show you their fish after a good day on the water.

A good pair of Bino's on the boat is a huge help too.
Posted By: formula462

Re: Proper distance from Guides when trolling. - 04/14/15 11:23 PM

this is excactly right..if you are on the end of your troll run and another boat comes in 100yrds behind you and sits to fish then I think on your return pass you should respectfully go around. Remember as kids when you would get out of the best chair to go to the kitchen and your brother would take your spot? "sorry,I didn't think you were coming back"
Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Re: Proper distance from Guides when trolling. - 04/15/15 01:21 AM

Trollers keep things interesting........On the lake and on the forum too. grin
Posted By: JRR

Re: Proper distance from Guides when trolling. - 04/15/15 11:32 AM

I'm gonna give this answer to the question "how far away from the guides?", The same distance you stay away from everybody, guides get no special rule, except people think every Falcon Boat on Texoma is a guide. All common sense, there is just a shortage of that once people get on the water. Got a great buddy, who's a great guy, I fish with and we get on him hard for motoring too close to people and he just doesn't get/see it. We've even asked if he sees that boat ahead. Only thing we can come up with is he's from California and it's so crowded their concept of personal space is different than ours.

I'm never bothered while anchored up on Texoma and a troller comes 40-50 yds as long as maintaining decent trolling speed (ie, no wake) even 30 yds if running parallel as we fish live straight down. I've actually had more problems with boats (bass) come flying close by on full plane giving you the nasty, "I'm a pro" look. Wife hasn't fished much and she has asked me "what's their problem?" a couple times.
Posted By: threeseas

Re: Proper distance from Guides when trolling. - 04/15/15 12:13 PM

ask Smitty

Re: Proper distance from Guides when trolling. - 04/15/15 02:02 PM

462: If you set 50 yds from me and watch me catch a fish while I am trolling. Then when I start up you run in behind me and set up, that is neither respectful or a smart thing to do. Nearly all good fisherman know that after you catch a fish trolling, you go down a little and turn around and come back threw them. I don't troll around people on their trolling motor throwing or anchored up. I also don't troll around people that are drifting. Texoma is a big lake with lots of fish. Go find your on fishing hole.
Posted By: BridgeportGuide

Re: Proper distance from Guides when trolling. - 04/15/15 07:38 PM

I am a guide and I will troll (especially in the heat) to find fish. How much distance should I keep from myself?
Posted By: Texoma Guide John Blasingame

Re: Proper distance from Guides when trolling. - 04/16/15 01:59 AM

Lot of good feedback here. Yes I think 50 yards is plenty of room and as long as your not turning circles around them they shouldn't be upset at all. I had a guy today that went between me and the bank and I could of put a lure on the bank. Btw it was a guide. He had seen us catching and wanted to get as close as he could. I try to be understanding but attitude can make all the difference. If your smiling and nice they will be less likely to be upset than if you stare at them and give them the stink eye as you go by. Just my 2 cents.
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: Proper distance from Guides when trolling. - 04/16/15 02:29 AM

^ well said!

Re: Proper distance from Guides when trolling. - 04/16/15 01:42 PM

Seen you on the water several times. You are always away from everyone else. One of the good guys and there are several good guides on Texoma!
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Proper distance from Guides when trolling. - 04/16/15 05:45 PM

Most of my experience fishing around guides has been on Texoma. Texoma has a lot of guides and I hate to sterotype them but most of the ones I run in to on the lake are horses behinds and seem to think they own the lake. I talked to JD at Loes once and he seemed real nice and I had one offer to let me tie up behind him on a real windy day. I only troll as a last resort. 50 yards sounds like a reasonable distance to me.
Posted By: Anchorman

Re: Proper distance from Guides when trolling. - 04/20/15 04:20 PM

I was on Texoma yesterday and witnessed guys doing it right and one doing it wrong. I can see why some people get aggravated at the trollers. My boat was also trolling but I didn't get inside 100 yds or so of anyone anchored or drifting. I saw some other boats keeping courteous distances too. But then there's that one boat. I first saw him troll right through a string of anchored boats. He kept circling and went through them a few times. He would go right by them...not cool. Not only was he too close he was trolling at least 5-7 mph which is way too fast. During this time some birds showed up about 1/4-1/2 mile to our south. I motored way around where the birds were working and planned a drift through the area. Just as we got near the birds here he comes trolling right through the middle of the birds. That was the end of that. We left and went over to Juniper Point and had some fished marked. We were casting lures now. We were the only boat on the point. Here he comes trolling within 20 yds of us. He comes by us 3 times once between us and the bank basically circling us. There is an entire lake out there and he follows us to two spots and blows it up for us.

I'm not trying to start or re-start an anti-trolling discussion because I enjoy trolling myself. And I saw almost every boat trolling yesterday being courteous and keeping proper distances. But that one guy...... I wonder where is the common sense? I wonder is he stupid, an A-Hole, both, or just lost in his own museum?

I thought about this thread when this guy was trolling around breaking every trolling code of conduct rule in the book. Thought I would share what happened yesterday. If you are "that guy" go get yourself some coaching before you get your ear removed by a pencil popper. coach fish

Re: Proper distance from Guides when trolling. - 04/20/15 05:33 PM

If a big school of fish are there why run the gas? Stop and catch fish.

In the heat of Summer when hybrids are scattered sure most guys put on the down riggers and troll.

Re: Proper distance from Guides when trolling. - 04/20/15 05:35 PM

Not to start an argument about the distance in question, but I never run baits more than 150' from my boat/motor when trolling, and I can catch a lot of fish trolling at certain times of the year. So if my baits are catching fish within 50yds of my motor I don't see how my motor is going to disturb fish that are farther away (ie, under another boat >50yds away). Again, not trying to be argumentative or disrespectful, just making an observation. Thoughts?

When the fish are feeding and running bait to the top it spooks them back down deep or scatters the school of hybrids. I guess you didnt understand what I was saying.
Posted By: snowyriver6

Re: Proper distance from Guides when trolling. - 04/20/15 10:52 PM

Don't yawl carry torpedos? Fire torpedo 1....fire torpedo 2. 2 boats gone now !! Any more ? If you don't carry torpedos, carry some flares. They shoot good and straight and get attention.
Posted By: Chaparro75

Re: Proper distance from Guides when trolling. - 04/21/15 04:40 AM

I was trolling Lewisville a few years back in my 14' boat near the center of the lake with 25mph winds when this 21' center console boat got near me and started fishing next to me. Didn't stop me from limiting out on hybrids. Not sure how many feet or yards he was but I'm sure he was casting distance. All I did was hoot and holler every time I hooked up.
One time I was anchored to a tree in the middle of the lake when the sandbass pushed bait toward my boat next thing you know I'm surrounded by about 6 boats. I believe that's the day I met Pastorjohn.
I use to get all bent out of shape due to the fact that I'm from south Texas and it's a big no no in the Lower Laguna Madre to fish that close, but now I just laugh and do me loudest Mike Iconelas impression and bask in the glory of close quarters fishing.

Re: Proper distance from Guides when trolling. - 04/21/15 02:41 PM

When the fish are feeding and running bait to the top it spooks them back down deep or scatters the school of hybrids. I guess you didn't understand what I was saying.

thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum