Texas Fishing Forum

Texoma fish kill

Posted By: tonytiger

Texoma fish kill - 04/06/15 12:07 AM

Went to texoma yesterday fished all day caught one fish.all the stripes are dieing was told by tpw that all the wash from rain saw at least 100 or more dead stripers and bull shad dead fishing slow floaters everywhere .golden algae bloom they say.No one on lake posted a thing about fish kill things that make u say hmmm!!!!!
Posted By: moonriver

Re: Texoma fish kill - 04/06/15 01:02 AM

Which part of the lake does this happen? I was fishing texoma saturday, didnt see anything like that.
Posted By: lite-liner

Re: Texoma fish kill - 04/06/15 01:35 AM

Originally Posted By: tonytiger
Went to texoma yesterday fished all day caught one fish.all the stripes are dieing was told by tpw that all the wash from rain saw at least 100 or more dead stripers and bull shad dead fishing slow floaters everywhere .golden algae bloom they say.No one on lake posted a thing about fish kill things that make u say hmmm!!!!!

hmmmhmmm, sounds like a troll. rolleyes
any pics of these dead fish?

fishing off the hook right now all over the lake.
I would think that someone starting a texoma /golden alge rumor without substantiation is living pretty recklessly

Re: Texoma fish kill - 04/06/15 02:58 AM

West end of Lake is where we were fishing believe it.or not .Go waist your time and see it for yourself.
Posted By: Captjohn

Re: Texoma fish kill - 04/06/15 04:36 AM

I fished lake texoma from 6:10am till 1:00 pm, saturday. Fished from Highport to Baucome creek, during the Bud Light Striper Tourny. I saw a couple dead big fish but that is all. I do not believe there is a golden alge bloom in 58* water but what do I know. I know this, there were plenty of fish being caught and it took 34# to win. We didn't do as well on big fish but we caught 8-11 pounders all day. That ain't bad.
Posted By: finz2right

Re: Texoma fish kill - 04/06/15 05:08 AM

Nothing but good things on my end of the pond (little mineral)....
Posted By: TIM CLINE

Re: Texoma fish kill - 04/06/15 01:09 PM

I do believe there was a small golden algae bloom! I know there are a few places a bunch of shad died for apparently no reason. We had a long period of moderate rain and clouds which is highly productive for a golden algae bloom! The stagnant water in the creeks and pools is where it flushes from. I think most of the big stripers you see dead and floating are ones being released after long fights or being held out of water too long! I watch several big fish released by trollers this weekend float as soon as released! Reeling in a big fish from 200 yards back takes awhile and for some people it takes way too long and some fish just will not live!

Re: Texoma fish kill - 04/06/15 02:57 PM

I was told by the a tpw guy that it doesn't hurt stripers to let them go .I can understand if u pull one out thirty foot of water would hurt them we were catching them in less that six foot of water chasing shad in back of creek .hope your guys are right sure love catching stripers pound for pound they are the fight ingest fish I've ever caught . lizard
Posted By: unknown

Re: Texoma fish kill - 04/07/15 04:16 AM

I saw two nice size stripers washed up on the banks yesterday evening.
Posted By: HolyGrail

Re: Texoma fish kill - 04/07/15 04:01 PM

Originally Posted By: TIM CLINE
I do believe there was a small golden algae bloom! I know there are a few places a bunch of shad died for apparently no reason. We had a long period of moderate rain and clouds which is highly productive for a golden algae bloom! The stagnant water in the creeks and pools is where it flushes from. I think most of the big stripers you see dead and floating are ones being released after long fights or being held out of water too long! I watch several big fish released by trollers this weekend float as soon as released! Reeling in a big fish from 200 yards back takes awhile and for some people it takes way too long and some fish just will not live!

From 200 yards back!?!? Dang, I wish my reels could hold that much line!
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: Texoma fish kill - 04/07/15 04:13 PM

I fished yesterday and the Okie side was full of stripers. Didn't see a single dead fish. Besides, there are hundreds of pelicans. If there was a floater he would not be there for long.
Posted By: FishBeeLowMe

Re: Texoma fish kill - 04/08/15 12:40 AM

Just came back from BigTex! DropD off 3,000 5" Sassy Shad and 1,000 jig heads? Some1 is fishing up north?
Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: Texoma fish kill - 04/08/15 01:29 AM

Prob fresh water. It kills fish often when the PH changes too quick. Normally it's really local to a small area of a lake.
Posted By: Chris97

Re: Texoma fish kill - 04/08/15 05:38 AM

Originally Posted By: tonytiger

In an age where everyone and his dog has a smart phone and you didn't take a picture. Makes ME say hmmm...
Posted By: TGalyon1

Re: Texoma fish kill - 04/10/15 01:21 AM

I was up all last week. Saw several nice stripers all over 20" dead floating. I have a place at Cedar Mill camp. Its north of cedar mills in the cove with Gainesville boat club. I thought it might be fish that caught in deep water and released hmmm as I did not see any small or box fish.

No I did not take a picture

Originally Posted By: PKfishin
I fished yesterday and the Okie side was full of stripers. Didn't see a single dead fish. Besides, there are hundreds of pelicans. If there was a floater he would not be there for long.

That may be why i did not see any small fish.
Posted By: Scotty P

Re: Texoma fish kill - 04/10/15 02:22 AM

Posted on the SOG website

There has been a localized, fairly insignificant fish kill in the Buncombe Creek area late last week and over the weekend. My staff reported that the primary affected species was drum followed by shad but only minimal numbers of sportfish were observed. I visited several areas on Monday morning and didn't observed what appeared to be any fresh fish washing in.

Water samples did reveal the presence of golden algae but in relatively low densities. While not absolutely sure, I would suggest it is the likely culprit as fish appeared to have aggravated gills and fin margins.

It appears that the die-off has run its course. If it flares up again, we will take an aggressive look at it.

Matt Mauck
Southcentral Region Supervisor - Fisheries Division
Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation
Posted By: RANDY WOOD

Re: Texoma fish kill - 04/10/15 04:35 AM

Several years ago I saw a shad kill in Bucombe Creek just like what we see at PK. It does happen I think. Just does not continue like it does at PK and other Brazos lakes. Golden Alga does exist at Texoma
It's not a scare....its a reality!
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: Texoma fish kill - 04/10/15 02:41 PM

Randy: There are thousands of Cormorants and pelicans on Texoma right now. Any fish kill will get cleaned up very fast.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum