Best lures to troll for sand bass

Posted By: ES1

Best lures to troll for sand bass - 10/25/14 11:34 PM

TIA
Posted By: forsanmedic

Re: Best lures to troll for sand bass - 10/25/14 11:48 PM

Hard to go wrong with a hellpet rig.
Here is a good post about it.
http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/486896/Re:_Here_are_your_answers_on_t
Posted By: Jedi-Ninja

Re: Best lures to troll for sand bass - 10/25/14 11:55 PM

why troll?
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: Best lures to troll for sand bass - 10/26/14 05:36 AM

The hellbender pet spoon put a bunch of fish in the boat Friday afternoon at finger point at tawakoni
Posted By: Sandblaster

Re: Best lures to troll for sand bass - 10/26/14 06:03 PM

Definitely the HBPS rig. A lot of times though in the spring and fall a lipless crankbait will work just a good.
Posted By: Filletmaker

Re: Best lures to troll for sand bass - 10/26/14 09:27 PM

It depends on how deep the fish are holding. Lots of time I will use a tail spinner or rattle trap. When they move deeper use a deep diving crank bait or the hell pet is hard to beat!
Posted By: geebass

Re: Best lures to troll for sand bass - 10/26/14 10:06 PM

min-spins work sometimes for me
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Best lures to troll for sand bass - 10/27/14 01:47 AM

Day in, Day out, the rattle trap is hard to beat. When they move deeper, then the Hellpet is the tool to use.
Posted By: Sandblaster

Re: Best lures to troll for sand bass - 10/27/14 05:58 PM

You can always not use a weight on the hell bender if you want to use it in shallower areas.
Posted By: Fishing Professor

Re: Best lures to troll for sand bass - 10/27/14 07:09 PM

Use cut shad instead.
Posted By: doctorxring

Re: Best lures to troll for sand bass - 10/28/14 03:54 AM

I don't know if they are still made, but my favorite upper water column (10 foot and shallower) trolling
bait is the Earl Smith's Phantom Lure. It takes some special handling, but it is an absolute killer bait on
white bass. And other fish. It has a very tight vibration and is a unique lure. All are hand made.

I bought a lifetime supply the last time I ordered because I had learned that Earl Smith had
passed and his nephew was making the baits. Young men can drift from an inherited calling.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Earl-Smiths-Original-Phantom-Lures/123461231052751

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Earl-Smit...f=page_internal

Posted By: Oldtrackster

Re: Best lures to troll for sand bass - 10/29/14 01:29 AM

I troll from a kayak and love the pet spoon but I use a bomber instead of a hellbenders.
Posted By: BlueTuna

Re: Best lures to troll for sand bass - 10/29/14 01:50 AM

For several years I used the Hellbenders and Spoon (helpet) until I discovered the Jet Diver (Jepsen makes it I think). You can purchase the Jet Diver in different models for different depths. Academy sells them. The Jet Diver is accurate enough you can be confident that you are trolling at the proper depth. The Jet Diver with a spoon is a good combination.
Posted By: Rooster1

Re: Best lures to troll for sand bass - 10/29/14 04:30 PM

Ditto on the jet diver/pet spoon. I order mine online. Rattletrap-you just cant beat it for cranking or trolling at 6' and up. Buy quality ones tho-don't buy those cheapies. they ARE junk and just don't have the action the brand name ones do. Perch or blue/white seem to have the best reaction.
Posted By: Kidstriper

Re: Best lures to troll for sand bass - 10/29/14 10:04 PM

They haven't invented a lure to troll sandies yet. Best bet is to slab em up. hammer
Posted By: threeseas

Re: Best lures to troll for sand bass - 10/30/14 12:26 AM

Ask Smitty ... He's the master
Posted By: RC Fisherman

Re: Best lures to troll for sand bass - 10/31/14 12:14 AM

Crank bait in any color as long as it's white or shad colored
Posted By: Ruff n Redi

Re: Best lures to troll for sand bass - 10/31/14 02:06 PM

When they are schooled, you are right. But to find the schools trolling is a good tool. If you catch 2 or three in the same area, then go to a slab. I like Old Uglies, but just about anything silver will work. fish
Posted By: PMB

Re: Best lures to troll for sand bass - 11/04/14 01:39 AM

I love the little yumbrella mini flash mobs with the willow leaf blades. But I put on 2" twister tail grubs and replace the lead head with one of a matching color. Primarily I use white and chartrues.

Posted By: Skeeter_Beast

Re: Best lures to troll for sand bass - 11/06/14 10:26 PM

If they're not too deep , you can catch them on a Shad Rap from Rapala .
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum