Texas Fishing Forum

Fishing Hubbard Friday - Advice needed

Posted By: EastTexasBassin

Fishing Hubbard Friday - Advice needed - 08/21/14 09:13 PM

Hello All,
First of all thanks to all of you. I've learned a lot since I started reading over here in this section. As you can tell from my forum sig, I've always been a largemouth angler but I really want to start catching whites and hybrids.

I got a few slabs and mepps spinners, but my first few attempts at catching white bass have been complete failures. During the spring I couldn't keep them off of my crankbaits while fishing for largemouth, but I can't seem to catch them at all now.

I'm launching at Chandlers at dawn (or just before) and I think I'm going to head south to the strip pit and try my luck there first. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If any of you are fishing Hubbard tomorrow and wouldn't mind a follower, please let me know. I'll release any hybrids I catch, but I would like to keep a few sandies. (I've actually never caught a hybrid blush ) I'm fishing out of a 18ft skeeter bass boat though, so staying on a spot may be a challenge for me if it's too windy.

Thanks guys.
Posted By: Fishboy Frank

Re: Fishing Hubbard Friday - Advice needed - 08/21/14 09:53 PM

That is a huge bass! We may have to trade fishing trips... Head South right now for the sandies and hybrids. The gravel pit is a good place to start. This time of year fish end up there in the afternoons. Check any humps you see also. Some of the humps you should be able to see on your graph. Check the levees out from the clump of trees west of the gravel pit also. You want to use a green or chartreuse colored slab. 1 to 1-1/2 oz at a minimum. I throw the slab out from the boat and let it hit the bottom. Smoke it up (crank) real fast a few cranks. Then hit your release button and use your thumb on your spool and "flutter" the slab back down. A lot of times the hybrids will hit it on the fall thinking it's a wounded shad. Do that all the way back to the boat. Keep doing that in different directions out from the boat. If you get one keep throwing back to that area. If they stop hitting move some. They were moving ten yards over last Saturday. I was going to go tomorrow but forgot I have some dinner plans. Introduce yourself if you see some guys out there. The biggest thing is approaching people with the TM versus the big motor. These fish spook easily. So do some of the fishermen! Post back how you do...Good luck. Wind is supposed to lay so you should be good.
Posted By: Filletmaker

Re: Fishing Hubbard Friday - Advice needed - 08/21/14 10:26 PM

ETB I will be out first think Friday morning. I'm starting out at Robertson Park about 7.30. Come by and say hi and I will let you know the little info I have. Pat
Posted By: A/V Guru

Re: Fishing Hubbard Friday - Advice needed - 08/21/14 11:24 PM

Hey Pat
I got moved from c-dock, down to H dock, I am on the opposite side, I think it is 823. By those little floating cabins. I will probably be out tomorrow morning also, stop by and say hi.
Steve
Posted By: sassyman (hubbard guide)

Re: Fishing Hubbard Friday - Advice needed - 08/21/14 11:37 PM

FISH HAVE LEFT THE LEVEES.

Re: Fishing Hubbard Friday - Advice needed - 08/22/14 01:15 PM

Well, no luck at the gravel pit this morning. I guess I'm gonna head to the peanut or maybe robertson point
Posted By: SeaPro-Todd

Re: Fishing Hubbard Friday - Advice needed - 08/22/14 01:37 PM

You seem too nice to be a "ditch pickle" angler? Lol JK. Head to RP now and fish meet up with Pat filetmaker at RP asap. It's game on now smile

Re: Fishing Hubbard Friday - Advice needed - 08/22/14 01:39 PM

Pats in a blue sea fox with ttop. Good luck!

Re: Fishing Hubbard Friday - Advice needed - 08/22/14 02:21 PM

On my way!

Re: Fishing Hubbard Friday - Advice needed - 08/22/14 03:58 PM

Well I didn't catch anything today but I learned a lot. I should've gone straight to Robertson point. Pat was catching them on every cast there this morning.

Pat- it was nice to meet you and thanks for the advice. I tried to fish the point after you left but the wind had picked up too much. It dragged me and my anchor up on the point within a couple minutes.

I'll have to try again soon when the wind isn't blowing so hard. The waves were coming over the deck today and I got SOAKED on the ride back in. Good to know that my bilge pump is working fine. I'm sure I provided a little amusement to the rest of the boaters out there this morning. bouncy

( edit: Todd - your "ditch pickle" angler comment was pretty funny. I understand though. You guys are much more friendly than some of the largemouth anglers. Some of them come unglued if you come within a hundred yards of them, and so I'm used to keeping my distance from other boats. It was different to see a group of boats all fishing the same spot and no one was yelling lol. smile )
Posted By: VIP Fishing

Re: Fishing Hubbard Friday - Advice needed - 08/22/14 04:53 PM

Pat and the others are super great guys! Keep at it! You'll get em! thumb
Also, follow any Yellow Sea Pros you see. Not only will you catch fish, but they just love it! banana

Re: Fishing Hubbard Friday - Advice needed - 08/22/14 06:38 PM

The fishing was great this morning, thank the lord for I pilots. Even the Hybrids were biting. Good to meet ETB and TTG Steve my new dock neighbor, Good seeing I think it's digger dog again, Sorry I'm bad at remembering names
Posted By: Fishboy Frank

Re: Fishing Hubbard Friday - Advice needed - 08/22/14 07:43 PM

I saw the texts from the guys that you were headed to meet up with Pat. I probably should have clarified a little more about South in the afternoon. I fish mostly afternoons. The fish have been at RP early lately. Afternoons are humps and the gravel pits etc. New moon coming so the fishing will be good. Lot of great guys on Hubbard. I'm sure someone will tell you about RHSA soon! That's our club that we raise money to buy and stock hybrids. Hubbard will be hybrid Heaven in about two more years. Good luck.

Re: Fishing Hubbard Friday - Advice needed - 08/22/14 10:13 PM

Sorry to hear you didn't do well. Several rhsa guys are black bass conversions and the cross overs (from the dark side) were easy for them and they're good at huntN and catchN now. You'll be there soon smile Good electronics, time on the water and making friends help wink

I've only have a few confrontations with bass fishermen in the spring times when our techniques and territories collided. The rest of the year is mostly open waters for us and I hardly fish next to them lol.

Also you now know why most of us prefer center console, bay boats. Welcome to the other dark side cheers

Re: Fishing Hubbard Friday - Advice needed - 08/22/14 10:16 PM

Originally Posted By: VIP Fishing
Pat and the others are super great guys! Keep at it! You'll get em! thumb
Also, follow any Yellow Sea Pros you see. Not only will you catch fish, but they just love it! banana
Hey it worked for VIP, our friendly neighborhood potlicker Austin won the Lake Tawakoni Sportsman Association sandbass tourney in 2013 cheers

Re: Fishing Hubbard Friday - Advice needed - 08/22/14 10:39 PM

Yeah, usually when the wind is blowing like it was today I would be north of 66.

I'm not easily discouraged. I'll get 'em next time. I can't wait to post a pic of my first hybrid. cheers
Posted By: diggerwolf

Re: Fishing Hubbard Friday - Advice needed - 08/23/14 05:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Filletmaker
The fishing was great this morning, thank the lord for I pilots. Even the Hybrids were biting. Good to meet ETB and TTG Steve my new dock neighbor, Good seeing I think it's digger dog again, Sorry I'm bad at remembering names

Close enough. It was good seeing you too, although a little frustrating. I was throwing the same lure as you in the same spot, but you'd pull in a fish every time and I'd pull in nada.

However later in the day my wife & I drifted over the same area, a little closer to the marina, and she hooked a big largemouth! I didn't have a scale, but he was longer than my 18" ruler!

Re: Fishing Hubbard Friday - Advice needed - 08/23/14 06:24 PM

Woohoo! Nice bass cheers

Re: Fishing Hubbard Friday - Advice needed - 08/24/14 02:41 AM

Sorry diggerwolf I was close. It was hard hearing with the wind so strong. Congrats to your wife thats a good catch. I have seen some big cat's come out of that area too.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum