Texas Fishing Forum

About to join the Cedar Creek "club"

Posted By: rob4

About to join the Cedar Creek "club" - 08/19/14 05:31 AM

Buying a little place in Key Ranch, and looking forward to fishing CC again. I'm looking forward to figuring the lake out. I'm already figuring out a few things by searching TFF. I won't be closing 'til middle of Sept, and will try to fish it as much as bow hunting, and my wife allow in Sept/Oct. Any general tips ya'll can throw at me for sandys and hybrids out there will be appreciated...
Posted By: Streetwalker

Re: About to join the Cedar Creek "club" - 08/19/14 11:39 AM

I'm starting to figure the lake out.

Drop me a note and I can take ya out.
Posted By: Dennis Christian

Re: About to join the Cedar Creek "club" - 08/19/14 01:14 PM

Welcome! Here's a map that might help know the spots we mention.
Posted By: fastguy�

Re: About to join the Cedar Creek "club" - 08/19/14 08:29 PM

What kind of boat should we be looking for?
Posted By: texsam

Re: About to join the Cedar Creek "club" - 08/19/14 11:19 PM

Hey rob
I bought a plac at key ranch about 2 yrs. ago.good place good people.
I have
a 21ft. duracraft , 115 johnson [think troy landry] Might see you going in or out.
I have about 4ft. of water as of today. good luck.

Re: About to join the Cedar Creek "club" - 08/20/14 12:47 AM

I really like my Sportsman Masters 247 center console for fishing the lakes. Very stable, lots of room and fishes like a champ. If ya ever want a ride let me know.

Re: About to join the Cedar Creek "club" - 08/20/14 04:19 AM

Thanks all. I may be looking ya'll up once I get out there. Dennis, great map.

Re: About to join the Cedar Creek "club" - 08/20/14 04:29 AM

Fastguy, already have a bass boat, but at 17', a bit small to run down the lake on a windy day tho. When I get tired of my spine getting compressed, and taking a bath out there on windy days, we can start looking for that center console! Hoping we get some water in the lake by the time I get out there in Sept!

Re: About to join the Cedar Creek "club" - 08/20/14 02:03 PM

Rob4: I can usually find fish on structure in protected water and don't find my 17 ft bass boat very limiting re white bass. May be more of an issue if one targets hybrids.
Posted By: flyingmonkey70

Re: About to join the Cedar Creek "club" - 08/22/14 08:44 PM

I'm new to fishing on CC, but I've had a place out there for almost 2 years. I've been hit or miss fishing for sandies. I've been learning a lot from the posts here. Thanks to all of you guys for posting such detailed descriptions of how and where you're fishing. Dennis has been particularly generous by providing videos and maps. If I have any luck this weekend I'll post a brief review on Monday.
Posted By: fastguy�

Re: About to join the Cedar Creek "club" - 08/23/14 04:01 PM

On some days you will wish you had a larger boat, this lake can get rough in a hurry.

Hybrid fishing will usually take you to deeper unprotected water, these fish move around a great deal.

There are a lot of great center console boats on the market that will get you out and back safely.

Hope to see you on the water.
Posted By: FishBeeLowMe

Re: About to join the Cedar Creek "club" - 08/23/14 10:11 PM

"CreekR's" are great! FastGuy, Dennis, BigCrappie.com are good folks and will help if asked smile
Posted By: brennansgrandpa

Re: About to join the Cedar Creek "club" - 08/23/14 11:01 PM

Fast Guy is right on both counts, the regulars on the lake are great folks, I received help from both Dennis and George, Karry and Snaggin Steve when I bought my place a while back. I started on the lake in a 17' Skeeter and recently moved up to a 21' Cat. The lake can test you at times, so pay attention to the skies and severe drops in temperature and be safe out there. Welcome to the lake!
Posted By: bpharris

Re: About to join the Cedar Creek "club" - 08/25/14 01:25 AM

Rob4,
We are too! Our place is on that northern most arm off the main lake where the 198 bridge crosses over water. We close in late September as well. We are super excited - the kids maybe more so than me and the wife!

I have a 21' FishMaster center console.
Posted By: bullcrappie

Re: About to join the Cedar Creek "club" - 08/25/14 02:06 AM

Welcome fish
Posted By: Laner

Re: About to join the Cedar Creek "club" - 08/25/14 02:48 AM

Glad to have you down here on Cedar Creek! I think you're going to enjoy fishing this lake.

Re: About to join the Cedar Creek "club" - 08/25/14 12:53 PM

I didn't end up fishing that much this weekend. We had guests out so I spent quite a bit of time pulling a tube around the lake. I did get out Friday evening and found a few groups of schooling whites near key ranch and long ridge area from Dennis's map. I didn't really have much luck. About the time I got into a school feeding on top it would disappear and re-appear in a different location. I am fishing out of a bowrider so I don't have a trolling motor. I can see where that would be very useful. I did watch a few boats that were having some luck chasing the schools and that looked like fun.

I also saw some schooling near st annes west. I was drifting over there friday around dark and the wind pushed me into one of the sandbars. It was more like Claybar. I got to go for a swim to get out.(Trolling motor would have been useful here also)

One more thing, anyone been by st annes lately. There is a track hoe on what appears to be a world war 1 tank tracks. Is that an amphibious track hoe, or just an extremely wide track to prevent it from sinking in the sand?

Anyway, keep posting everyone. I love the CCL reports.
Posted By: Ross Reamy Guide Service

Re: About to join the Cedar Creek "club" - 08/25/14 02:16 PM

I saw ya Friday evening on the way in, must have been before you got stuck in the clay. That's never fun... I'm in a lime green Epic center console, if ya ever need help or some fishing advice I don't mind tryin to help at all. Take care!

Re: About to join the Cedar Creek "club" - 08/25/14 02:54 PM

Thanks for the offer rreamy. I saw you pass by. Would be hard to miss the lime green Epic.

Re: About to join the Cedar Creek "club" - 08/25/14 06:17 PM

It is like that tank in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade except it's bigger and has a track hoe on top of it instead of a turret.
Posted By: threeseas

Re: About to join the Cedar Creek "club" - 08/28/14 12:39 PM

I heard the initiation into that club is TUFFFF...watch out for that FASTGUY dude

Re: About to join the Cedar Creek "club" - 09/09/14 04:03 PM

With a 90 horse, I won't be seeing FastGuy, maybe when he flys past me...

Again guys, thanks for the warm welcome.

BTW, we close on the house this weekend, I'll be up there Friday-Monday. Mostly a work weekend cleaning up the lakehouse, etc. but I WILL get on the water. If ya'll se a little white Nitro with a 90 on it, stop by and say hey! I'll probably be somewhere off Key Ranch,
Posted By: RoadRunnerTR21

Re: About to join the Cedar Creek "club" - 09/10/14 11:46 AM

I got a feeling that you and I are going to be neighbors. I think the house you are closing on is just down the street from me. I guess I will know for sure if I see a white Nitro go by.
Posted By: Jerrybign

Re: About to join the Cedar Creek "club" - 09/10/14 12:00 PM

FYI...a really good friend of mine went back to CC last Saturday after a hiatus of about 5 years and ended up catching 102 BIG sandies and a couple hybrids. He used the ol' standby as he calls it. Hellpet rig. Just slayed 'em!!!

Re: About to join the Cedar Creek "club" - 09/12/14 05:27 PM

I just saw you go by with your Nitro. I guess we are neighbors now. Welcome to the neighborhood. cheers

Re: About to join the Cedar Creek "club" - 09/17/14 09:48 PM

It is a small, small world, I guess. RoadRunner sees me driving by him on Friday, then on Monday, I met FastGuy on the lake. Wonder who I'll see this weekend?

A slow Monday morning for me, BTW, did manage a couple sandies, and tail hooked a 2 ft. cat... The rest of my morning was trying out some humps, retooling rods for sandies/hybrids, (trying some Mepps with splitshot to get it down faster) and settling into a GPS/Graph that I've rarely used. I'll be on the water sometime Sat and Sun again...
Posted By: Budward

Re: About to join the Cedar Creek "club" - 09/18/14 04:34 PM

Go with Rodney stuart of 'Go Fish Guide service" He will not only put you on the fish but he will teach you. Ive been with him several times and slayed the fish Every time. 817-675-8062

Re: About to join the Cedar Creek "club" - 09/19/14 11:39 AM

Originally Posted By: rob4
It is a small, small world, I guess. RoadRunner sees me driving by him on Friday, then on Monday, I met FastGuy on the lake. Wonder who I'll see this weekend?

That's because we are neighbors since I live on the same street as you. cheers

I responded to your PM.

Re: About to join the Cedar Creek "club" - 09/19/14 07:29 PM

I'll be out on the lake Saturday.

Sportsman Masters 247.

24' white center console. 250 Yamaha on the back along with a Talon and 360 transducer.

Big bearded fat guy doing the driving.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum