Texas Fishing Forum

NEED HELP:stay oldschool or get with the times?

Posted By: chrisc/striper express guide service

NEED HELP:stay oldschool or get with the times? - 07/15/14 10:10 PM

I am very torn. For years and years I've taken pride that the only electronics on my boat are a flasher. People ask so many times "where the fish finder" and I would say "driving the boat" smile anyways really thinking about letting the old beat up motorguide go and getting top line trolling motor and electronics. If it's not broke dont fix it or always room for improvement. Again I am torn and figured this a good place to open this can of worms smile
Posted By: Diel11

Re: NEED HELP:stay oldschool or get with the times? - 07/15/14 10:28 PM

You're welcome to jump on my boat and see some of the stuff I got. I can tell you this, I use my electronics a lot more when I am in a lake that I haven't fished before than at lakes that I have been to and know. Since you know Texoma so well, just having 2D and maybe Down scan would do just fine. I use my 360 a lot up there when keeping up with schools. During the winter time I use the 360 to find the fish and then mark a waypoint, then have the I pilot Link take me there. But at the end of the day, you can do that without all the gizmos.

The technology we're seeing now is just plain insane. I am testing out the Lowrance SonarHub at the moment with an Airmar TM150 CHIRP transducer. This thing will separate each individual fish in a school and give you a very good idea of the size of each fish. And if the fish are hugging the bottom, you're not seeing "popcorn" or fuzzy clouds, you're seeing each individual fish. Can you find them without CHIRP? Yeah, no problem. But with the CHIRP you can actually tell if you want to bother with small fish or keep going to find bigger ones.

Also testing the Humminbird Onix. This one has the best down imaging out there in my opinion (between Garmin, Raymarine, Lowrance and Humminbird). Good enough that you can count crappie in a brush pile and again, tell the big ones from the little ones easily. They are sending me a SM3000 module this week which will give me dual channel CHIRP. Can't wait to see what that will add.

When it comes to trolling motors, the I Pilot Link will let you follow specific contours at any speed so you can cast and roll without having to worry about the boat. Works well for topwater action as long as there are not a lot of boats around you. You can navigate between waypoints and spotlock at any of them. And now the Ulterra trolling motor will self deploy and stow.

There's a bunch of stuff out there, but in my opinion you can do without most of it. I like the technology side so I am always getting the new stuff and testing it myself. If you don't mind re-learning stuff all the time it's not really a problem, actually kind of fun.

Re: NEED HELP:stay oldschool or get with the times? - 07/15/14 10:34 PM

I've posted these before but here are some of the Onix shots:

Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: NEED HELP:stay oldschool or get with the times? - 07/15/14 10:38 PM

You still use a flasher?? The last time I saw one of those in use was on a partyboat out of San Diego in 1987!

Seriously though, the way you find fish consistently you don't need new electronics. On the other hand, some of the stuff that the new gizmos do is just downright fun.
Posted By: benp

Re: NEED HELP:stay oldschool or get with the times? - 07/15/14 11:29 PM

I would totally listen to Diel! He knows his stuff and is very helpful! I also know that you know that lake!!! So plus one on the have fun part!!!
Posted By: VIP Fishing

Re: NEED HELP:stay oldschool or get with the times? - 07/15/14 11:40 PM

Wow! Awesome graph shots!!
Posted By: captain steve barnes

Re: NEED HELP:stay oldschool or get with the times? - 07/15/14 11:52 PM

I cant imagine life without modern electronics.
Posted By: ATM97

Re: NEED HELP:stay oldschool or get with the times? - 07/16/14 12:21 AM

Obviously you are a very gifted fisherman with what you are able to do day in and day out with only a flasher. WHEN you get side imaging it won't even be fair. It will also give you an additional tool to do even more teaching with your customers.

Awesome graph shots Diel!
Posted By: Texoma Guide John Blasingame

Re: NEED HELP:stay oldschool or get with the times? - 07/16/14 12:23 AM

Chris does what he does because he knows the spots and the patterns of the fish. Don't try that at home. He is a professional. Many years of guiding and doing it everyday are why he is so good at it. If your not looking at the flasher when you run over fish then you missed them. Technology keeps moving forward with side scan, 360, etc. a good map and a good graph will only make it better. Let go of that flasher buddy. It will only make you even better. Just order a couple new lowrance side views. One for me and one for you.
Posted By: don the angler

Re: NEED HELP:stay oldschool or get with the times? - 07/16/14 11:11 AM

The first time I went with a guide it was Texoma about 1980. I still I still have fond memories of that day. We landed about 75 stripers and all the guide had was a flasher. For the life of me, I can not remember his name. It may come to me soon. Do any of you old timers remember him. His wife shot and killed him right before Christmas.

In my opinion, the minimum toys needed are trolling motor, good color graph, and GPS. The absolute best tool is what Chris has (knowledge of the lake). Know the lake and you will get lucky almost every day. That is the reason I hesitate fishing on any body of water except Lake Lewisville.

All the new equipment certainly makes fishing from a boat more enjoyable. So my advice Chris is go for it.
Posted By: PlanoKeith

Re: NEED HELP:stay oldschool or get with the times? - 07/16/14 11:42 AM

Chris Get a side scan of some type --LOL-- rolfmao Even Jimmy Houston fishes with two 1198 SI on his Ranger. Also get the terrova for the trolling motor.
And if you get a chance , Go with Diel he has the best setup i have ever seen on that fantastic boat. Good luck smile
Posted By: SeaPro-Todd

Re: NEED HELP:stay oldschool or get with the times? - 07/16/14 11:46 AM

Wild story Don. I am not a guide but my wife would shoot me too if I am flasher running around flashing at women! LOL. Same here, I still have the 2D graph but know my home lake well and hesitant to upgrade to sideimage or structure scan even though I know they will help me find more fish.

Hey, Chris. I overheard a couple of pro anglers said..."that Chris can catch but can you imagine if he has the modern/latest electronics?" Just saying...
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: NEED HELP:stay oldschool or get with the times? - 07/16/14 04:34 PM

Chris you are welcome to go with me as well. I have 2 Lowrance HDS8 units on my boat with down scan and side scan. I also recommend the I pilot Terrova 102 lb thrust. The anchor feature and the chart feature that will follow a set foot depth are great!!
As everyone on here knows it is what you get comfortable with. Hummingbird and Lowrance both are great units.

Talk to David at Shut Up and Fish. You can bounce prices off of him to get the best value. 972-822-9285.

Re: NEED HELP:stay oldschool or get with the times? - 07/16/14 08:56 PM

Chris I also upgraded my battery charger to a Minn Kota 30 amp charger. You will find out your trolling motor batteries will get used a lot more with the I Pilot.
Posted By: 1FishinFool

Re: NEED HELP:stay oldschool or get with the times? - 07/16/14 10:40 PM

I used to fish with Garlin Taylor, all he used was a flasher. He could read a flasher like a side imaging graph. He could tell you what size range the fish were.
Posted By: Gmw76049

Re: NEED HELP:stay oldschool or get with the times? - 07/17/14 01:53 AM

HIs name was Leroy "Pepper" Roberts and he was a family friend..believe it or not the shooting by wife was accident. I was on that boat a few times myself. I remember him using red nail polish to mark spots on line where to drop slab depth and also he used the red to mark bloody spots on his lures. Seeing two pound plus striped bass surface and hammer at a pencil pop is something you don,t ever forget! He was a really great guy too..
Posted By: skeeter22

Re: NEED HELP:stay oldschool or get with the times? - 07/17/14 02:47 AM

Fished with Bones McGowen many years ago on Texoma. He certainly knew how to use the old flasher.
Posted By: SteveStrasemeier

Re: NEED HELP:stay oldschool or get with the times? - 07/17/14 11:16 AM

Here are my thoughts worth about a penny.
Those that have fished with you before or more than just a few times won't care if you use a divining rod, they know you know where to fish and how. Just a few weeks ago I fished with you and all the electronics in the world would not have helped since we were fishing in 3 fow or less and catching fish.

New customers on a bad day might blame it on your lack of modern technology because they don't know you, so it could make a bad impression and they may not come back. New electronics will help cut down the search time on those days when the fish are not doing what they should do.
Posted By: don the angler

Re: NEED HELP:stay oldschool or get with the times? - 07/17/14 11:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Gmw76049
HIs name was Leroy "Pepper" Roberts and he was a family friend..believe it or not the shooting by wife was accident. I was on that boat a few times myself. I remember him using red nail polish to mark spots on line where to drop slab depth and also he used the red to mark bloody spots on his lures. Seeing two pound plus striped bass surface and hammer at a pencil pop is something you don,t ever forget! He was a really great guy too..

That is correct. I could remember his first name was Leroy. We went with him several times and always enjoyed it.

Re: NEED HELP:stay oldschool or get with the times? - 07/17/14 11:38 AM

I think Chris is sick and tired of people asking him "where's the fish finder" and Chris replies, "you're looking at him". At least I did and that was the answer
rolfmao

Re: NEED HELP:stay oldschool or get with the times? - 07/17/14 11:49 AM

Boys Scout Flats in Texoma. Notice the depth.

The ridges and dark areas on the right side let you know that is the shore line. You can see a huge striper right on the ridges just sitting there. That's about 1 foot of water. All the other stripes are at about 5 feet of water.

This one you can see the stripers at a drop off in around 10 feet of water. Ridges and dark area on the bottom right is the shore.
Posted By: ATM97

Re: NEED HELP:stay oldschool or get with the times? - 07/17/14 01:05 PM

Completely agree with Diel that there really isnt shallow water limitations to application of side imaging. Have had trips in past on tawakoni where we were chasing schooling whites in 5 fow and stop before we get to them because we would see hybrids on side imaging.

Yesterday went out after work and had a little different wind out of east. Fish had moved to different spot on structure and we missed them by about 25 feet on our first pass. We may have been able to still find them with traditional sonar but would have taken a lot longer for sure. What could have just been a boat ride and blaming change in weather for bad fishing turned in to a hybridfest.

One last thing, I started fishing with Lakeguide before he had side imaging and he was amazing. Now fishing with him is just plain silly. No reason to think it wouldnt be the same for you. The graph may be different but the fish finder will be the same.
Posted By: Patt

Re: NEED HELP:stay oldschool or get with the times? - 07/17/14 02:50 PM

I'm 66 years old, so I've fished with no electronics, flashers, SONAR, etc. The only difference in fishing has been that the more sophisticated the electronics, the fewer fish I catch.
Posted By: mbsfish

Re: NEED HELP:stay oldschool or get with the times? - 07/17/14 07:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Patt
The only difference in fishing has been that the more sophisticated the electronics, the fewer fish I catch.

You're doing it wrong
Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: NEED HELP:stay oldschool or get with the times? - 07/17/14 08:05 PM

Chris, it's one of those things that when you've used them (late model electronics) and taylor them to your style of fishing you will wonder how did I catch fish without them, lol rolfmao

If you are doing well right now, you will do much better in the near future with them.

On blue bird days after fronts in the Fall when the fish have lock jaw and you can't seem to find a shad, the Side Imaging will pay for itself.

On those days the fish are shallow and the birds just aren't around to show the way...your side imaging will...and it will blow your mind what was lurking out the side of your boat 87ft that you never knew was there.

You will see, wink thumb
Posted By: Lakeguide

Re: NEED HELP:stay oldschool or get with the times? - 07/17/14 08:32 PM

I just put mine on the boat for show. Most of the time I don't even use a graph, I use a witching stick. Way more reliable.
Posted By: TIM CLINE

Re: NEED HELP:stay oldschool or get with the times? - 07/17/14 09:03 PM

Chris, It was hard for me to give up my Flasher when I did!! For a long time I still had the flasher mounted on the boat! I moved it to three different boats because the newer stuff I just did not trust yet on reading the bottom depth while running 60mph!!! Still don't! I can tell you this the side scan option is worth every penny, down scan I dont need because of normal sonar!! I have had days when on shallow flats I could find the fish and get set up to cast or drift thru them and wore them out and others without the sidescan just could not make it work!!! Get a HDS 10 by lowrance or 1199 from humminbird or the onix by humminbird!!! Also might check out the ulterra trolling motor by minnkota it looks sweet!
Posted By: KenPetty

Re: NEED HELP:stay oldschool or get with the times? - 07/18/14 02:19 PM

I replaced mine with one that gets channel 5 so I can watch David Finfrock's nose grow.
Posted By: Striper Lifer

Re: NEED HELP:stay oldschool or get with the times? - 07/18/14 05:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Diel11

The ridges and dark areas on the right side let you know that is the shore line. You can see a huge striper right on the ridges just sitting there. That's about 1 foot of water. All the other stripes are at about 5 feet of water.

This one you can see the stripers at a drop off in around 10 feet of water. Ridges and dark area on the bottom right is the shore.

that's impressive. I sold my HB 998 and bought a HDS8 and LSS2 this spring. I like the Lowrance, but it does not perform as well in shallow water (<8' or so). So if you're wanting shots like the one above in skinny water, go 'Bird, IMO. I'll probably go back to HB before long if I can't get the HDS8 working better in shallow water. It's awesome in 12' or more.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: NEED HELP:stay oldschool or get with the times? - 07/18/14 05:22 PM

Originally Posted By: chrisc/striper express guide service
I am very torn. For years and years I've taken pride that the only electronics on my boat are a flasher. People ask so many times "where the fish finder" and I would say "driving the boat" smile anyways really thinking about letting the old beat up motorguide go and getting top line trolling motor and electronics. If it's not broke dont fix it or always room for improvement. Again I am torn and figured this a good place to open this can of worms smile
I had a Lowrance x-15B up until about 7 years ago. I got rid of it when parts started getting hard to find. I sold it to Fatty for $25. Right now I am running Eagle 320 and 480. I also have the flasher that came with the boat from the factory.I probably would have put a Gen 7 on the dash this year if the lakes were not so low. I fish the same lakes that I have fished forever so I do not really need the fancy stuff. I keep asking myself how many more fish will a new depthfinder/GPS help me catch. The answer normally is not many.

Re: NEED HELP:stay oldschool or get with the times? - 07/18/14 06:22 PM

Originally Posted By: HankS
Originally Posted By: Diel11

that's impressive. I sold my HB 998 and bought a HDS8 and LSS2 this spring. I like the Lowrance, but it does not perform as well in shallow water (<8' or so). So if you're wanting shots like the one above in skinny water, go 'Bird, IMO. I'll probably go back to HB before long if I can't get the HDS8 working better in shallow water. It's awesome in 12' or more.

I run a HDS12 and HDS9 also and that has always been my experience too. Shallow SI is not as good on the Lowrance but once you go a bit deeper it's good.
Posted By: Jedi-Ninja

Re: NEED HELP:stay oldschool or get with the times? - 07/18/14 06:46 PM

I've got a Humminbird SI and a MK Ipilot but when on Texoma my best elctronic is my cell phone so I can call Chris C--The elecrtonics will help you Chris but if you are fishing shallow points they are not much good.
Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: NEED HELP:stay oldschool or get with the times? - 07/19/14 07:41 AM

I can say get the new graph and keep the flasher really sad to see lowrance moving away from the color flasher as much. You can read bottom composition see structure as well as not only the fish but if you are using one the swivel on your line. Flasher is one of the best winter electronics to me as any. As the fish are not moving as much and I can knock them on the fore head with it. But knowing from your reports you know plenty that will be more than happy to help you get to a decision on what's next. Had a buddy out with you a bit back Charles roper and you put them on the fish and they had an amazing time. So you won't be fixing what ain't broken you will just make what's working that much better. Just don't take flash out all the way just my .02.
Posted By: DrWhiplash

Re: NEED HELP:stay oldschool or get with the times? - 07/19/14 07:34 PM

Here ya go Chris! I'm over here at LadiesMan dads den and we have a clearance sale for ya woot Upgrade that old flasher to our Aquasonic super flasher by Garcia grin with paper graph!!!! Or the mighty Eagle Z5000 LCG... And last but not least the Lowrance X70 (my fav). All were super fish finders that we have used over the past 30 or so years!!! Great selection juggle don't pass this up..... smile

Re: NEED HELP:stay oldschool or get with the times? - 07/19/14 07:53 PM

I had an Aquasonic, I hated loading the paper.
Posted By: RogerB

Re: NEED HELP:stay oldschool or get with the times? - 07/20/14 12:16 AM

If you're asking then you've already made up your mind. Now you are just looking for approval but are going to do it whether you get approval or not. smile

(that's how it rolls at my house).
Posted By: DrWhiplash

Re: NEED HELP:stay oldschool or get with the times? - 07/20/14 01:21 AM

FishAll50 nailed it.... Go get your new boat toys fish

Re: NEED HELP:stay oldschool or get with the times? - 07/20/14 01:54 AM

Love the antiquated graphs pic, Doc! Very cool! Never knew Terry and Ray were the original Tallballguy rolfmao
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: NEED HELP:stay oldschool or get with the times? - 07/20/14 02:01 AM

I know my Humminbird SI still has the flasher option, not sure how accurate but you can have the best of both worlds.
Posted By: MJHartman

Re: NEED HELP:stay oldschool or get with the times? - 07/20/14 01:10 PM

Chris it is like comparing these two...Wait did you have a brick phone on the boat last time I saw you????
Posted By: Fishing Frank

Re: NEED HELP:stay oldschool or get with the times? - 07/20/14 03:32 PM

Chris I would not trouble myself with the new technology if I were half the fisherman you are. You are still out fishing most with the old school way. yOU WILL NOT CATCH AS GOOD WHEN YOU ARE GOING THROUGH THE LEARNING CURVES with the new stuff. Keep your flasher going while you are learning the new stuff. Thats my 2 cents. Have a good one. Hope to fish with you in the future.
Posted By: chrisc/striper express guide service

Re: NEED HELP:stay oldschool or get with the times? - 07/21/14 08:11 PM

guys those onix pics blow my mind! this thread hasnt helped at all lol...neither has doing great on the fish "sure i be more ready if fishing was tough". thinking SI help eliminate dead water fast and the ulterra also tempting but its all $$$ still just TORN
Posted By: benp

Re: NEED HELP:stay oldschool or get with the times? - 07/21/14 09:10 PM

Tell you what, I will buy you an IPILOT and then you let me put a chip in your brain that goes strait to my email and tells me where your brain thinks the fish are! lol jk.

I spent 2 months deciding on a graph and am happy with humminbird. Listen to your gut and Diel! He knows his stuff and you know yours. You would not even be looking at the graphs and tm's if you didn't want to get one right! Now it sounds like your trying to talk yourself out of it. This may be a stupid question but can you just make the change with one of your boats and see how it goes? At worst you can sell them to somewhere for 10 to 15 percent less than what you paid and take a minimal loss if it is not what you want, Heck I would be happy to say I had your graph on my boat lol! Either way there is no possible way they mess you up! They have an off button!
Posted By: BlueTuna

Re: NEED HELP:stay oldschool or get with the times? - 07/21/14 10:24 PM

Chris, Frank, mark and I had a great time fishing with you a few months ago. Benp has a good point you can always sell your items if you are not happy with them. I sold my old Terrova to upgrade to a Terrova with ILink. It sold within hours of posting it on TFF. The only thing I could imagine to get me to sell my new Terrova would be the automated Stow and Deploy feature. And wow the Ulterra is close to production. Shut Up and Fish has me at the top of the list for it. I don't anticipate any difficulty selling my new Terrova.

If you attack learning the technology with the same ferocity you do fishing, it won't take you very long to master these modern fishing tools!
Posted By: RANDY WOOD

Re: NEED HELP:stay oldschool or get with the times? - 07/22/14 02:36 AM

rolfmao
The Texas Striper Assoc guys used to laugh at me because I used a paper gragh. I switched to the digital age and bought a X-27.
Now they laugh at me because I still use an anchor instead of the I Pilot.

I was fishing with a younger guy several years ago and I asked him if he had a marker buoy. His response was .....yea on my GPS.....
I still use marker buoys, anchors,and could use a flasher. I do like my chart plotter but try to look around and triangulate my spots just in case.
Good old fashion boat handling without the use of electronics is hard to find anymore.
When the weather gets bad and the only thing working on the boat is Randy Wood or Chris Cary Ill take experience over electronics any day.
If your comfortable then keep them.

Chart plotter and digtal graph are a huge help when fishing lakes you don't normally fish.
Posted By: unpescador

Re: NEED HELP:stay oldschool or get with the times? - 07/22/14 12:55 PM

After now spending about $2500 on an i pilot trolling motor, a compatible Humminbird locator, a compatible Lakemaster map software. Associated cables, four calls to Humminbird wasting about 1/3 of my day, two calls to Minnkota which was even less help than Humminbird, I would tend to say stay with old school if it works for ya.

Oh I didn't mention what a pain it is to update the software on the trolling motor, the remote for the trolling motor, and the locator. You must have a PC with a port for an SD card, and an SD card and then you have to print your own manual. I could not find a way to test the equipment in simulator mode so I had to make a couple of trips to the lake. All of this is because my contour following feature doesn't work.

Just sayin', if you aren't somewhat of a tech geek, it might be more trouble than it's worth. I am now to the point that I will take it to a repair center or try to swap it for a replacement.

The equipment is three months old with about six hours on it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum