Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Tawakoni Warning

Posted By: Lakeguide

Lake Tawakoni Warning - 04/05/12 03:31 AM

We are at full pool. There are 5000 acres of stumps lying 6" beneath the surface right now on the South end of the lake. You cannot believe the places I have seen boats running on plane this week. A lot of guys got REALLY LUCKY today especially. If ya'll wonder why the 3 guide boats out were not running after the birds every time they flew 100 yards away, this is a picture of where you might have been today with the lake 7 feet low:

Basically if you go North of a line between Wolf and Sun and are in over 30 feet of water, you might wanna keep close to the shoreline when running on pad. I cut through a tiny roadbed cut by using my gps this week, a boat behind me did not make it across the timber without clipping a stump. Just because you see someone else do it does not mean it is safe, they my not have a clue either. Be careful, get a map, stay close to the shorelines and run around the lake instead of across if you do not have the timber marked. Or just have good insurance and a buddy to call grin

Posted By: Hydra Sport

Re: Lake Tawakoni Warning - 04/05/12 03:37 AM

scary

Posted By: ssfireman

Re: Lake Tawakoni Warning - 04/05/12 03:53 AM

Thanks I marked it this winter. I am hoping to get a couple of fish tomorrow and NO stumps. Thanks for the heads up.

Posted By: TxShiner

Re: Lake Tawakoni Warning - 04/05/12 04:05 AM

I know I saw a boat running full throttle threw there and he got lucky. I was hooked up with a big one yesterday and knew we were getting close to the timber on our drift just from my paths all summer sure enough he wrapped up on a tree and was gone along with the last 1oz jig head I have.

Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Lake Tawakoni Warning - 04/05/12 10:08 AM

I have the trees marked but as I got closer I slowed down anyway just to make sure. I have great insurance but I sure do not want to use it. I saw several bass boats flying thru there.

I also lost what felt like a great fish that got wrapped around a tree. I could feel him and gave it a lot of slack but it would not come unwrapped. mad

Thanks for the heads up Matt. cheers

Posted By: BridgeportGuide

Re: Lake Tawakoni Warning - 04/05/12 11:12 AM

Oh Man!

Posted By: SeaPro-Todd

Re: Lake Tawakoni Warning - 04/05/12 11:43 AM

Originally Posted By: CHAMPION FISH
I saw several...boats flying thru there.
That would be me when I was a newbie at twok years ago hammer Went camping there in the Spring, after good rains, and the water was up hammer I would plane from the state park to Sun point and Sun point to Wolf and so on cuz my ASSumption that the middle of the lake is deeper and safer like most conventional lakes? hammer And my trusted high dollar graph and navionics card showed clear paths and no trees hammer

But I got the timbers all marked now thanks to the drought woot

A warning map should be posted at all ramps at twok, imo, cuz I see boats flying thru there too hammer

Posted By: scout192

Re: Lake Tawakoni Warning - 04/05/12 02:30 PM

This post is right on. I only get to fish up there once a year and have been duly warned. Take the long way from the state park to sun point (stay near the shore).

I have a question related to going from finger point to sun point. Is there a fast way to get from finger back over to sun point without going around the lake?

Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Lake Tawakoni Warning - 04/05/12 02:40 PM

I have never been on Twok. Thanks for the information. Could someone post a map showing the danger areas?

Re: Lake Tawakoni Warning - 04/05/12 06:23 PM

Re: Lake Tawakoni Warning - 04/05/12 06:25 PM

Take in mind, this is a general idea type map I found years ago. It gives you a good idea, but is not accurate.

Posted By: PlanoKeith

Re: Lake Tawakoni Warning - 04/05/12 06:33 PM

Thank you Matt thumb

Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Lake Tawakoni Warning - 04/05/12 07:17 PM

Thanks Matt.

Posted By: HonkyVoodooFishing

Re: Lake Tawakoni Warning - 04/05/12 07:26 PM

There's some gas money to be made if someone mapped out the trees when the lake was down.....convert to both Lowrance and Bird and sell the file.

The lake fork boat lanes are the same premise.

You aren't going to get rich because the market isnt big enough and its cost prohibitive to protect the data to avoid the "free share" but nonetheless it could be done to make some gas money with little effort.

Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Lake Tawakoni Warning - 04/05/12 07:41 PM

what are the yellow danger areas, Lakeguide?

Posted By: cathog

Re: Lake Tawakoni Warning - 04/05/12 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By: butch sanders
what are the yellow danger areas, Lakeguide?

The yellow danger areas are stumps that are in the middle of nowhere.
Good advice Matt, I see folks running through the enchanted forest all the time when the lake is up, I wonder how many lower units are down there in those trees?

Posted By: FishBeeLowMe

Re: Lake Tawakoni Warning - 04/05/12 10:34 PM

U R a magician with crayola's!

Posted By: luv to fish

Re: Lake Tawakoni Warning - 04/06/12 01:32 AM

I wouldn't trust those two cuts you see going through there either! Those are a WHOLE lot smaller than they appear!!

Good fishin
Mike

Posted By: PureBay2200

Re: Lake Tawakoni Warning - 04/06/12 01:41 AM

Awesome post ! Thanks for the info..

Posted By: Filletmaker

Re: Lake Tawakoni Warning - 04/06/12 01:47 AM

When I first started fishing Tawakoni I asked every body around about the tress and I'm still scared of them and am very careful even if I get close. Thanks Matt for the great info.

Posted By: BDURHAM78

Re: Lake Tawakoni Warning - 04/06/12 04:05 AM

That's funny

U R a magician with crayola's!

BETTER FISHING ; LESS MONEY!
www.moestackleshop.com
Moe's YouTube
Moe's FaceBook
Moe's Twitter
Moe's Blog
PH 214-906-3847

Posted By: Tawakoni84

Re: Lake Tawakoni Warning - 04/06/12 07:25 AM

What are "My Lines" in the map?

Posted By: redfin®

Re: Lake Tawakoni Warning - 04/06/12 11:10 AM

If you have GPS/Navionics chip on your DF and are putting in at Holiday, draw a physical (eyesight) line to the water tower on Sun Point and DO NOT venture very far left (north) of that line. Then zoom out on your DF to see Sun Point and Holiday in one view and save that bearing. Going up the east side of the lake to the 2-mile bridge can get real hairy in a couple of places and you'll need your navionics card. It would be better to go up the west side to get to the 2-mile bridge if you've never traveled from Holiday to 2-mile bridge. The east side is just too tricky.

Posted By: lcbl75771

Re: Lake Tawakoni Warning - 06/19/17 07:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Lakeguide

I found this pic from quite a few yrs ago. I don't ever fish Tawakoni, but will be out there a few times in the next few weeks. If I were putting in at Holiday, could I safely run directly across towards Cedar cove, then follow the shore to go to Oak Cove and Squirrel cove? Would I miss the stump field?
Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: Lake Tawakoni Warning - 06/19/17 09:03 PM

Originally Posted By: lcbl75771

I found this pic from quite a few yrs ago. I don't ever fish Tawakoni, but will be out there a few times in the next few weeks. If I were putting in at Holiday, could I safely run directly across towards Cedar cove, then follow the shore to go to Oak Cove and Squirrel cove? Would I miss the stump field?

Holiday to cedar cove is good. Holiday to sun point is good... don't run left of sun. From holiday… You'll run into main lake timber.
Posted By: Lake Side Lures

Re: Lake Tawakoni Warning - 06/19/17 10:26 PM

What are the red restricted areas on the map for Micheal. Are they your honey holes lol fish
Posted By: blacksheep

Re: Lake Tawakoni Warning - 06/20/17 02:57 PM

I think that is the dam & several pump stations that are restricted, but Matt will have to verify. Miss my old lake every now & then.
Posted By: Andrew Taylor

Re: Lake Tawakoni Warning - 06/20/17 03:37 PM

The restricted area's are about a 1/4 of what the drawing shows. The only ones you might encounter are at the spillway and around Terrell Pump, which is on the south bank.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Lake Tawakoni Warning - 06/20/17 06:24 PM

Or just have good insurance and a buddy to call grin

Hi, buddy!
Posted By: River Mongrel

Re: Lake Tawakoni Warning - 06/20/17 07:06 PM

I have all the stumps memorized so............
Posted By: Simmonsdlwa

Re: Lake Tawakoni Warning - 06/20/17 11:13 PM

With the lake high, if it's rough too, some of those corners of the stump fields extend farther than you think. Be careful running the East shore from dam back to Sky Point. Experience sometimes means hard lessons. cry
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum