Texas Fishing Forum

TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS...

Posted By: sassyman (hubbard guide)

TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/01/11 09:46 PM

HEARD THEY CLOSED THE LAKE TO FISHING ,SWIMMING AND EVEN GETTING WET BY THE WATER.how serious do you guys think this is?Supposed to be some strain of algea harmful to humans.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/01/11 10:17 PM

it is blue green algae, the water is not closed to fihsing and boating as far as i know, only to jet skis and swimming. some say it is bad and nasty, others say that it isnt that bad. this is once again, what i know, it could have chamged very recently. id check out this subject in the crappie and/or catfish section
Posted By: Stripers Inc.

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/01/11 11:31 PM

Has anyone heard of any reports of anyone getting sick?

I have asked around a lot on several of the forums and so far I have not found any record of anyone becomming sick after swimming in the lake. If no one has gotten sick then there is nothing wrong with the water.

According to Wiki, they do not know that much about the health risks involved with blue green algae so they err on the side of caution because we all know the unknown is our greatest fear after all. Then the public and news media love to broadcast and esclate fear which leads to fear mongering. Wiki also says that just because the algae is present doesn't necessarily mean that it will produce toxins, the right conditions must exist for that to occur and scientists aren't even sure what causes them to be produced. It seems they should be testing the water for toxins and not the presence of algae.

I'll be swimming in the lake daily if I get sick I'll let yall know smile I say have fun!
Posted By: fmclee

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/02/11 12:19 AM

Don't kid yourself .....

Read here

http://www.cdc.gov/hab/cyanobacteria/facts.htm#cyanolook
Posted By: JD Lyle

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/02/11 12:29 AM

I agree with Brian... Ive been catching bait everyday and getting soaked. havent died or got sick yet.. The lake is not closed to fishing so please quit spreading runmors. we already have the media over hyping it like they always do. dont need more mis information out there.
caution is needed but panic is just freakn stupid. I get so sick of this [censored].
Really sassyman you care that much or ya just trying to funnel more biz to Hubbard ? gimme a break

Dont swim and dont drink the water... Thats it... No real reports of deaths or even illness.
Fishing is very good right now and traffic is low...
Posted By: SONFISH

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/02/11 12:42 AM

LOL

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/02/11 01:20 AM

This was said on another forum about the situation, I thought it was appropriate.

"Don't you find it odd that no local hospitals or doctors were inteviewed? I mean really if you could possibly die from it - don't you think they could of found some sick people to interview. Who writes a news article like that without talking to health professionals? Lets review what all the CDC has warned us about in the past - unpasteurized milk (flat out lie), zombie apocolypse (fiction), swin flue (way over blown). Then there were the two "go to" lead CDC researches that were indicted for fraud. It isn't killing the fish is it? So how is it going to kill me?

CDC comes out with a warning, as always way over exaggerated. Corp says oh chit, we better get people off the lake or were going to get sued because CDC says its dangerous and if someone gets hurt its our [censored] and our budget."
Posted By: sassyman (hubbard guide)

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/02/11 01:47 AM

the info I got came from a source that has a house up there,that contacted a marina .thats the info the marina gave him..not trying to stir nothing up only the info that you might put out there.

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/02/11 01:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Stripers Inc.
This was said on another forum about the situation, I thought it was appropriate.

"Don't you find it odd that no local hospitals or doctors were inteviewed? I mean really if you could possibly die from it - don't you think they could of found some sick people to interview. Who writes a news article like that without talking to health professionals? Lets review what all the CDC has warned us about in the past - unpasteurized milk (flat out lie), zombie apocolypse (fiction), swin flue (way over blown). Then there were the two "go to" lead CDC researches that were indicted for fraud. It isn't killing the fish is it? So how is it going to kill me?

CDC comes out with a warning, as always way over exaggerated. Corp says oh chit, we better get people off the lake or were going to get sued because CDC says its dangerous and if someone gets hurt its our [censored] and our budget."

Most of us don't have the same dog in this fight as you and JD. But, I would be curious about your view if it was your [censored] and budget on the line .... and, I guess it could be if someone in your boat gets sick from this, as you were warned. I'm a believer in "Better Safe than Sorry" ....

MY .02
Posted By: angler management

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/02/11 01:57 AM

i talked to one of the biologists taking samples last saturday at juniper point(i think his name is todd robinson) and he said the primary concern is for kids, elderly, pets and livestock. he also said you'd have to drink alot of the water before it's dangerous and that the fish aren't affected. i fished all morning today and have been 4 times since last saturday and i have no ill effects. going back tomorrow, too. it's nice having everything west of 377 to myself.

ITS BEEN THOROUGHLY OVERHYPED
Posted By: Lakeguide

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/02/11 02:50 AM

It's kinda like when the fuel additive truck turned over close to Caddo Creek on Tawakoni ten years ago. They weren't even sure if the additive got in the creek or if the ground soaked it up. This story was on all the major networks news for days on end. Dallas Pump Station monitored and took samples on the hour for months, yet never found a drop in the lake. They kept sending water to Dallas and people kept drinking it. They were just too dammed scared to go fishing in Twok for 6 months.

I read the alerts. Looks like a lot of "mights" "coulds" "ifs" and "potentiallys".....Didn't see where they closed the lake though or said not to eat the fish.

Sorry you guys are going through this. Hope it comes a gully washer soon and we can all get some relief.
Posted By: outdoorguide

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/02/11 04:27 AM

Amen Brian, and good point Matt.
Media sucks. And other than just hot (which is easy to guess right now) you cant believe weather most of the time.
They just don't realize the impact they have on small business when the don't get
It accurate.
Posted By: one fish limit

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/02/11 04:34 AM

I went swimming Monday not by choice. I went out before the storm blew in and my 15 ft. jon took several over the transom
and I ended up on the islands chest deep getting water out of my boat havent died or even sick as of yet but who knows about tomorrow... lol but I think alot of times this stuff is here all the time and when the media gets ahold of it and it make the news to bring ratings up.... just my opinion what ever that is worth but I have been in the lake about 3 and 4 day a week for the last few weeks with out issue...
Posted By: TRAILBOSS

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/02/11 04:52 AM

The NEWS is there are few boats on the lake and the fishing is Great!!!
Posted By: FishFinder Frank

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/02/11 11:06 AM

It a precaution. They tell you so if you get sick, they already explained the risk. If a person so chooses to go swimming or whatever and get sick.... We'll, you can't say they didn't tell you so. Can't please everyone.... If they didn't report it and someone got really I'll from it, then everyone would be like" why wasn't this reported and researched." I do agree though... The media will over hype EVERYTHING.
Posted By: FishBeeLowMe

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/02/11 11:38 AM

Originally Posted By: JD Lyle
I agree with Brian... Ive been catching bait everyday and getting soaked. havent died or got sick yet.. The lake is not closed to fishing so please quit spreading runmors. we already have the media over hyping it like they always do. dont need more mis information out there.
caution is needed but panic is just freakn stupid. I get so sick of this [censored].
Really sassyman you care that much or ya just trying to funnel more biz to Hubbard ? gimme a break

Dont swim and dont drink the water... Thats it... No real reports of deaths or even illness.
Fishing is very good right now and traffic is low...

JD R u and Jeff OK???

http://www.kxii.com/news/headlines/128921868.html

Posted By: No Sweat

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/02/11 12:52 PM

I'm with Brian and JD.... Zzzzzzzzzz......
Posted By: BAMAboy

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/02/11 01:14 PM

Media hype.......is that possible? I heard it's Bush's fault. rolfmao eeks bolt
Posted By: Kahuna

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/02/11 01:50 PM

Flat earth senator got sick @ Grand Lake (Oklahoma) back around the 4th of July from the algae. But that fool suppsedly brushes his teeth while bathing in the lake.
Little common sense goes a long way. Boat & fish, don't swim or brush your teeth with lake water. By all means do not let it keep you home.
Posted By: Nobody Special

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/02/11 02:45 PM

Is there no Texoma guides/business association?

They are checking the water here daily. Couple different agencies from what I can tell. Saw one scoop up a few birds yesterday

I would think if it was really bad with the heat and water temps we would be seeing fish die offs? Not noticed anything but the lil catfish.
Posted By: mwacosta

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/02/11 05:04 PM

If it keeps JET SKIs off the water and it don't kill fish. What's the problem? smile
Posted By: PlanoKeith

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/02/11 05:11 PM

Originally Posted By: mwacosta
If it keeps JET SKIs off the water and it don't kill fish. What's the problem? smile

LOL rolfmao

PLUS +1

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/02/11 05:20 PM

I went for a swim today and after a thorough investigation, I discovered several things that are wrong with me, luckily, none of them are from the water smile The water feels great, yall have a good weekend!
Posted By: fastguy�

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/02/11 07:56 PM

Mike went swimming there last week, his truck wouldn't start when he got back to the ramp.......be very careful my friends.

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/02/11 08:39 PM

Here is an interesting article from Purdue University

http://www.btny.purdue.edu/pubs/APM/blue-green_factsheet.pdf

From said article:

"Is toxicity common?
No! Even though Anabaena, Aphanizomenon, and
Microcystis are very common in our waters, it is extremely rare for them to
cause toxicity. We do not know why this is. Perhaps toxins are released
Anabaena
Aphanizomenon
Microcystis
NEW: 6/03
only from certain very rare strains; perhaps the environmental conditions for
toxin production do not often occur. Because we do not know what causes a
blue-green to become toxic, it is impossible to predict when toxicity might
occur. The safest bet is to prevent livestock from drinking and to restrict
swimming activities when water turns pea-soup green."

It sounds like we should be measuring for toxins and not the presence of blue green algae
Posted By: CedarCreekWoody

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/02/11 09:05 PM

The safest bet is to restrict swimming activities when water turns pea-soup green."

Well darn, I always looked forward to swimming in water that was pea-soup green!
Posted By: TIM CLINE

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/02/11 09:23 PM

Here is an interesting article from Purdue University

http://www.btny.purdue.edu/pubs/APM/blue-green_factsheet.pdf

From said article:

"Is toxicity common?
No! Even though Anabaena, Aphanizomenon, and
Microcystis are very common in our waters, it is extremely rare for them to
cause toxicity. We do not know why this is. Perhaps toxins are released
Anabaena
Aphanizomenon
Microcystis
NEW: 6/03
only from certain very rare strains; perhaps the environmental conditions for
toxin production do not often occur. Because we do not know what causes a
blue-green to become toxic, it is impossible to predict when toxicity might
occur. The safest bet is to prevent livestock from drinking and to restrict
swimming activities when water turns pea-soup green."

It sounds like we should be measuring for toxins and not the presence of blue green algae

The toxins are what they are testing for!!
Posted By: Tx Tree Grower

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/02/11 09:44 PM

It appears some people sell blue green algae to cure....well EVERYTHING!!! See link below. Ill be up there this weekend to bottle me some up. New product on the way "SHANE'S BLUE/GREEN MIRACLE CURE"!!! I'll start taking orders monday.

http://www.raysahelian.com/bluegreenalgae.html

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/02/11 09:47 PM

I have not yet heard a report refering to water toxcity only to the presence of blue green algae
Posted By: TIM CLINE

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/02/11 09:50 PM

In the first report I read the toxin levels are why they posted the warning. Now what I do not know is was this an isolated area that had the toxins or not but no one knows what causes the the bloom to become toxic so there not anyway to know for sure unless you could test constantly everywhere. So I assume that is why they are saying stay out of the water until the bloom has diminished.
Posted By: duff1

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/02/11 10:28 PM

Just like those bedwetters at the US Army Corps of Engineers to hyperventilate over nothing. (Link to COE "WARNING" at 6 oldgeezers.)
Posted By: Outfitter Nomore

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/03/11 06:00 PM

Don't get me started on the Brain Trust that is the Corp.

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/03/11 07:23 PM

And these Game Wardens--one of them is running around over there claiming a Corps official told him Tuesday that some of their water samples contained ten times the amount of blue-green algae necessary to trigger the warning. He's even taking issue with people joking about this flapdoodle.
Posted By: redfin®

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/04/11 05:10 PM

Get that stuff in your nasal passages and sinus cavities and it could be all over except for the funeral arrangements.....
Posted By: Captjohn

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/04/11 05:13 PM

Fished yesterday and last Saturday on Texoma. I'm still here.

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/04/11 05:21 PM

Not talking about fishing, capt....I haven't quite figured out how you get water up yer nose and sinus cavities when fishin'...grin

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/04/11 06:38 PM

Well, Redfin, all joking aside, we did get some spray on us and I guess you possibly could breathe some in while doing so. There was absolutly no one fishing yesterday. It was very strange to see.

On a side note, I tend to question most apocalyptic predictions. And it was great to be able to fish yesterday.

Hope everything is good. I'm ready for this cooler weather. Now just a small flood would be nice if we could.
Posted By: MrG

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/04/11 07:34 PM

I guess we can go ahead and scratch Ratbassturds off the competitors list for next year. angel

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/04/11 07:54 PM

Where are the floating corpses, the cries of "Bring out your dead"? Kids want to swim, let 'em swim, 'swhat I say.

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/04/11 08:06 PM

Mr G, don't write us off, just yet. Lol
Posted By: TEXASFIVEGUN

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/04/11 10:01 PM

I think I got the green algae! I have been sneezing, runny nose, ichy watery eyes, stuffy head, and yucky feeling all day. It was nice knowing y'all.
Posted By: MDZIZ

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/05/11 01:31 AM

Based on test results, the blue-green algae bloom is dominated by a type of the toxin-producing algae called Cylindrospermopsis. This type of blue-green algae bloom does not look like other BGA blooms that form mats, scum, foam, or have the characteristic "spilled paint" look.

"This bloom is a sub-surface bloom of significant magnitude," said Lt. Col. Eugene Snyman, deputy commander. "It is very important that the public is well informed and able to assess the adverse health risk this bloom poses to them and their families as they make their weekend plans at Lake Texoma."

The lake is NOT closed and all Corps recreation areas are still open to camping. Boating is also permitted. Boaters should reduce their speed because the spray caused by higher speeds can be dangerous if inhaled.
Posted By: MDZIZ

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/05/11 01:31 AM

That is the latest from Corps website.
Posted By: BAMAboy

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/05/11 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By: MDZIZ
.....Cylindrospermopsis........

I double-dog dare ya to say that three times fast. flame
Posted By: Shake&Bake21

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/06/11 01:25 AM

I couldn't even get one in a row??? I think I will just refer to it as "Lake Clap". If ya get any symptoms a shot of penicillin will do the trick. Seriously though my father is a physician and I was talking to him about the possible side effects and harm that could follow from Blue Green Algae, or "Lake Clap" and the following was stated, and I quote:
"During Medical school we spent little to ZERO time studying "BLUE GREEN ALGAE" as a potential INFECTIOUS DISEASE. Amoeba's are the real threat as they can potentially be fatal. Algae at its core can be neutralized with Soap or Chlorinated Water. The only issue that I can see caused by Blue Green Algae would be something like a topical rash, death or serious illness is HIGHLY UNLIKELY."
I got this information before my brother and I headed to the lake on Saturday. This is another CLASSIC EXAMPLE OF THE LIBERAL MEDIA way over hyping a silly situation that warrants no immediate or actual threat unless you are a Dog, Livestock, or someone who enjoys SNIFFING a lot of water. I mean really think about this for a minute. If this really was a TRULY SERIOUS and POTENTIAL LIFE THREATENING SITUATION do you really believe the GOVERNMENT; State or Federal would even allow access to the lake? NO CHANCE IN (FILL IN THE BLANK)! What everyone really wants to know is: How are they Bitting, and How long do we have before the Jet Skier's & Wakeboarders figure out that this Bull Snuff?
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/06/11 04:56 PM

It has me so dang worried I booked a trip with Brian for Oct 8. sounds to me like typical goverment over-hype.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/06/11 10:55 PM

Maybe it is over hyped. It well could be. However, I doubt that many of us would want our children or grandchildren swimming in it.
Posted By: Ruff n Redi

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/07/11 02:16 PM

I got it figured out. It is hype conjured up by the guides to keep week-end fisherman and boaters off the lake. Now before Kerry and my grandson get on me for dishing guides, I am just kidding. Texoma is my favorite place in the world to fish. I used to drive from Hayes Kansas just to fish for a week-end. Between zebra mussels, and BGA my wife won't let me come up there, even though she would spend all her time at Chockta. Hope things get better soon.

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/07/11 09:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Shake&Bake21
I couldn't even get one in a row??? I think I will just refer to it as "Lake Clap". If ya get any symptoms a shot of penicillin will do the trick. Seriously though my father is a physician and I was talking to him about the possible side effects and harm that could follow from Blue Green Algae, or "Lake Clap" and the following was stated, and I quote:
"During Medical school we spent little to ZERO time studying "BLUE GREEN ALGAE" as a potential INFECTIOUS DISEASE. Amoeba's are the real threat as they can potentially be fatal. Algae at its core can be neutralized with Soap or Chlorinated Water. The only issue that I can see caused by Blue Green Algae would be something like a topical rash, death or serious illness is HIGHLY UNLIKELY."
I got this information before my brother and I headed to the lake on Saturday. This is another CLASSIC EXAMPLE OF THE LIBERAL MEDIA way over hyping a silly situation that warrants no immediate or actual threat unless you are a Dog, Livestock, or someone who enjoys SNIFFING a lot of water. I mean really think about this for a minute. If this really was a TRULY SERIOUS and POTENTIAL LIFE THREATENING SITUATION do you really believe the GOVERNMENT; State or Federal would even allow access to the lake? NO CHANCE IN (FILL IN THE BLANK)! What everyone really wants to know is: How are they Bitting, and How long do we have before the Jet Skier's & Wakeboarders figure out that this Bull Snuff?

BFD with the medical advice. If you're willing to take the chance, go for it. How well established your immune system is will have a big effect. Subject your kids to It? I would hope not. But you could always try to sue someone if a death occurs. That will always ease the pain of losing a loved one.

I'm being sarcastic for the benefit of your justification in case you are really serious.
Posted By: TEXASFIVEGUN

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/07/11 10:00 PM

You too can have the lake all to yourself!

We fished for hours, went from dam area to the islands and did not see one fishing boat. Only crusers and sail boats.

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/08/11 02:07 PM

I have never seen that before. even during the floods in the 90's, people were launching off of the highways. Need to get to the bottom of what is going on and get the truth from someone.
Posted By: Kahuna

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/08/11 04:01 PM

Probably because ramp is unusable. Ramps in Cardinal cove are same shape. No roadblock because you can see the giant hole where ramps end. Save tearing up boat and trailer.
Posted By: "Da" NITRO

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/08/11 05:10 PM

I grew up swimming mud holes in water that was way worse than any lake with blue, green or whatever color algae. The media wants to scare people, otherwise, no one will pay them any mind and when no one pays them any mind, they can't get advertisers on board. Didn't they say that mad cow disease would be the end of us all? What about the avian bird flu? Surely millions of people died from that right? Oh and watch out for that population ending swine flu.....that killed off half of the world right? Give me a break. If you belive what the media tells you than stay at home and board up the windows. Meanwhile, I will be planning a trip to the big lake to take the slack. Tight lines fellers!!!

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/08/11 06:37 PM

No, that picture is at Eisenhower state park, on saturday. There are two ramps there. One is still very good. One is out of order. Too shallow. I don't know if the dam ramp is too shallow or not, but it too was empty. I think there was one pontoon trailer there.

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/08/11 07:41 PM

Since when did the US Army Corps of Engineers become the "media"? And please do not suppose I give a flip where you fish.
Posted By: SBridgess

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/08/11 08:23 PM

Actually the algea is not the only hazard. This huge sinkhole/slump formed on Treasure Island. Imagine enjoying a nice campsite, then woosh, you are in the water. 23ft. boat in photo for reference. Are they going to close the islands and give Landside/Tsunami warnings? rolfmao

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/08/11 08:49 PM

Originally Posted By: SBridgess
Actually the algea is not the only hazard. This huge sinkhole/slump formed on Treasure Island. Imagine enjoying a nice campsite, then woosh, you are in the water. 23ft. boat in photo for reference. Are they going to close the islands and give Landside/Tsunami warnings? rolfmao

Looks like a good fishing hole was created.
Posted By: chrisc/striper express guide service

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/08/11 09:39 PM

big time brandon a...heres a pic on day 2 of me seeing last week it but it seems to have quit growing finally

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/09/11 04:03 AM

Originally Posted By: "EL" NITRO
I grew up swimming mud holes in water that was way worse than any lake with blue, green or whatever color algae.

This explains a lot ........

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/09/11 10:08 AM

Snark! Snark!

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/09/11 02:13 PM

Yeah Chris I can see that being a awesome place to corral and ambush shad and striper.

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/09/11 06:43 PM

Originally Posted By: fmclee
Originally Posted By: "EL" NITRO
I grew up swimming mud holes in water that was way worse than any lake with blue, green or whatever color algae.

This explains a lot ........

Ahhhh....aren't you so cute. I bet you are a real riot at the D&D convention.
Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/09/11 09:19 PM

My brother lives on Big Tex & drank some lake water.

Don't worry he always looks like this after a long day of fishing!

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/10/11 12:37 AM

Originally Posted By: fiSh ZoMbiE
My brother lives on Big Tex & drank some lake water.

Don't worry he always looks like this after a long day of fishing!
rolfmao

Posted By: Fly Rod Yakker

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/15/11 05:01 PM

Lengthy post coming in two or three sections:

I know that this is or can be an economic disaster for guides who depend entirely on fishing for their living. Several of these guys are good friends and I feel for them. Having experienced a layoff or two in the past ten years, I really do feel for them and any threat that occurs to their livelihood.

But the media reports I've seen so far (full disclosure: I'm a part of that media) are simply reporting what the Corps has done which is to post the blue-green algae warning and prohibit water contact.

And whether we like how they do it or not (and many of us don't), they are still charged by law with doing these kind of things on the waters that they manage. (Imagine the liability issues if someone did get really sick and even die from this and the Corps had done nothing?).

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/15/11 05:02 PM

In my time on this rock, I've learned that the truth is usually somewhere between two extremes.

So I'm not sure I'd necessarily buy into the completely flippant idea that this is no big deal and isn't going to cause anybody any problems (Why? Because it hasn't happened to me, somebody told me it wouldn't be a problem, etc.)

From what I've read the Cylindrospermopsin cyanotoxin causing this has caused some very significant problems in Australia and Brazil from algae blooms.

And while no human deaths have been reported, I did find where the Indiana DNR indicates that little is known about how it affects humans ("Most of the knowledge about the toxicity of these compounds, including dose-response interactions, comes from animal experiments. Because human toxicity from direct algal exposure has rarely been documented, there are no dose-response data or even experimental data in humans." http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/3630.htm )

It also seems that people with immune issues (I have diabetes) may be more susceptible to problems that this might cause. And some of these problems might be more long term than short term.

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/15/11 05:03 PM

On the other hand, this isn't likely to be the end of the world either.

Texoma is a remarkably resilient lake that continues to fish amazingly well year in and year out no matter what gets thrown her way.

I suspect in a few weeks, when cooler weather and hopefully a little rain have fallen, this will go away and be a distant memory in the rear-view mirror.

I sure hope so at least.

Posted By: Jimlakeside

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/15/11 05:30 PM

Does anyone know specifically what it will take for the blue-green algae to go away? How much cooler does the lake have to get, etc?
Posted By: Nobody Special

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/15/11 05:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Jimlakeside
Does anyone know specifically what it will take for the blue-green algae to go away? How much cooler does the lake have to get, etc?

with 30 days between posted testings. some time.

"lake turning, rain, and 60s at night for a month would be great?" ranger.

I do not believe any amount of rain we get is going to help Tex this year at all.

Re: TEXOMA WATER PROBLEMS -WHAT'S THE NEWS... - 09/20/11 03:58 PM

I was told most of this happened because of what happened on Grand Lake in OK. Problem is when my wife heard about it she won't let me take her boat to Texoma. I know ya'll are happy, just someone else that is not in your way while you are fishing. Please put some back for seed, It will get better with time.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum