Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Lewisville

Posted By: Gibby

Lake Lewisville - 11/09/09 02:36 PM

Spent 8 hours on the lake yesterday. Found shad in the backs of creeks and coves, and saw fish at various times agressivly feeding, but caught one larg mouth all day. Worst day I have ever had. Good conditions, being cloudy, cooling water temps, found bait fish, but nothing!

who else?
Posted By: 30ft jon boat

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/09/09 04:43 PM

rough day for me too 4 cats and a white bass..on the up side i found a cove that had big shad so i loaded up a 5 gallon bucket about 6inches deep.salted and vaccum sealed them so i am good to go for the winter

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/09/09 05:46 PM

I caught some real good size shad too. Around 6 inches on most. Had a net full. Used a few trying to snag a hybrid, cat, or really anything, and then let the rest go. there are shad everywhere in that lake right now.
Posted By: spiny norman

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/09/09 07:24 PM

One cat and one hybrid by a school of baitfish in a cove on the north end, then the bite shut down compleatly.
Posted By: jaw

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/09/09 07:28 PM

We did okay and had steady action all day, kept us on the water longer than usual but worth it. Some think pressure and more specifically, over fishing, has affected the bite at Lewisville, along with certain boats keeping EVERYTHING they catch. I tend to agree with this. Even though the action was steady, it was nothing like it was 2-3 years ago.

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/09/09 08:03 PM

Jaw, care to share what was working for you? Me and my partner threw everything we had at them.

I still have trouble finding the gravel pits. Anybody got any tips or suggestions on how to locate this spot? I don't have GPS.
Posted By: nogeese

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/09/09 08:20 PM

Right there with ya Jaw... the lake took a pounding this last year the fish are there but not near the numbers in years past... I have only been fishin LL since 2005 but this is by far as tough as it has ever been.

and it seems like October came and went with out much action... and October has usually been one of the best months of the year... I understand that we got a TON of rain last month, that may have had something to do with the slow bite but I find it strange how prolific the bait seems to be right now.. and how hard it is to catch fish on any kind of consistancy.

as I have said before I hope I am dead wrong!.
Posted By: don the angler

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/09/09 10:47 PM

LL is definately tough. October has given up a few good days, but the poor ones out number the good ones. The lake is busting at it's seems with bait. I have never seen so much. Maybe the whites and hybrids prefer shad to lead.
The lake North of there is on fire if anyone is interested.
Posted By: BROKnSTRIPES

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/10/09 02:00 PM

I made it out twice last week and found the hybrids one of the two days on a main lake hump. Caught hybrids and sandies mixed every drop on shad with the largest hybrid going five or so. Could not get them to touch artificial. Next day they were gone!

There is definitely a ton of shad in the lake right now everywhere you go. So much in fact that the slow fishing may have more to do with the fact that a fish does not need to do much more than turn 90 degrees for a meal!

I personally do not think the lake is overfished as the spring was some of the best hybrid fishing I have ever experienced. However, everything seemed to change after the first spring flood and the fish just never seemed to lock in on the summer or fall patterns.

Maybe the overabundance of shad this year has affected the normal schooling instincts to some degree.

Posted By: tbarnes065

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/10/09 03:02 PM

I will say only this Jaw and I fish together from 8am to about 3pm and did have steady action but you have to throw something a
little different and slow it down on the bottom if you are up in the column to much competition and the fall was when the hit took place,Bigger lure bigger fish!

It is true that there are not as many fish on this lake or that they have found a place to hide that no one knows where it is!

Electronics do not lie, my eyes are not as good as they used to be but I can still see the Lowrance screen and I also can see the boat that has a brand on it like TROPHY WHO KEEPS EVERYTHING UP TO A 50 GALLON DRUM FULL Jaw and I always joke that this boat must be fishing for a restraunt,maybe a very large family!
smile There sure is no sport in fishing with a salt water surf rod and 40lb test and reeling fish like a jet ski across the water.
To each their own I guess!
Posted By: BigDad

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/10/09 03:28 PM

I'm on board with the over fishing theory. I've been fishing LL since 1985 but did not figure out how to really catch whites and hybrids until the late 90's. In those days, there were only a few fishermen who really knew how to consistently catch whites/hybrids. I'm not referring to bird chasers but guys who can catch them almost every time they go out birds or not. In recent years, other people have figured out how to catch whites/hybrids on LL too. I think a lot of people learned how by reading post on TFF. I know I've learned a lot on here. As more people post about their catches on LL more people come to fish it. Lots of folks keep all of their fish. I know people who fish several times a week on LL and keep their limit/s every time only to just give them away. bang When the fishing is good, the banks are lined with guys fishing live bait and the lake is COVERED with boats and most everyone is catching/keeping fish. I know there are a lot of fish in the lake but it can only take so much pressure. I believe (hope) in time fishing will improve as folks move on to other more productive lakes but I think we're victim of our own success. Past years, it has been the norm for me to catch 100+ fish most outings, now that is the exception rather than the rule. Hope this doesnt happen to other lakes but I think some of the other metro lakes a currently experiencing the same problems. I love the TFF but I think it has contributed to the demise of some of our lakes as more and more TFFrs become proficient at catching white bass and hybrids.

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/10/09 05:55 PM

Originally Posted By: BigDad
I'm on board with the over fishing theory. I've been fishing LL since 1985 but did not figure out how to really catch whites and hybrids until the late 90's. In those days, there were only a few fishermen who really knew how to consistently catch whites/hybrids. I'm not referring to bird chasers but guys who can catch them almost every time they go out birds or not. In recent years, other people have figured out how to catch whites/hybrids on LL too. I think a lot of people learned how by reading post on TFF. I know I've learned a lot on here. As more people post about their catches on LL more people come to fish it. Lots of folks keep all of their fish. I know people who fish several times a week on LL and keep their limit/s every time only to just give them away. bang When the fishing is good, the banks are lined with guys fishing live bait and the lake is COVERED with boats and most everyone is catching/keeping fish. I know there are a lot of fish in the lake but it can only take so much pressure. I believe (hope) in time fishing will improve as folks move on to other more productive lakes but I think we're victim of our own success. Past years, it has been the norm for me to catch 100+ fish most outings, now that is the exception rather than the rule. Hope this doesnt happen to other lakes but I think some of the other metro lakes a currently experiencing the same problems. I love the TFF but I think it has contributed to the demise of some of our lakes as more and more TFFrs become proficient at catching white bass and hybrids.

I agree. Well said.
Posted By: jaw

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/10/09 08:26 PM

Well said BidDad! Tbarnes - the next time we fish I will have a hat like one of the guys wears. Then we can peddle the "fresh Tilapia" to the Asian restaruants. Hmmm??? Better yet - we just pay them the daily fee and sit on the bank and drink beer and wait for our catch of the day to come to us.
Posted By: flee fly

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/10/09 10:24 PM

+1 joe
Posted By: BROKnSTRIPES

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/11/09 02:27 AM

I can see your point. Besides, how many 9.50" sewage-soaked sand bass does one man really need!

Mmmmmm, these filets taste of Interstate 35 North!!

Posted By: Dennis Christian

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/11/09 04:32 AM

Bigdad: You make several good points, but I would say that more people learning to enjoy themselves and catch more fish because of learnings from TFF - that is a good thing. When we first start fishing, it is natural and right to want to keep all the legal fish. But as we become better and better at catching fish, there comes a point when we just don't need to keep everything. As you say, we just end up giving them away. When I personally reached this point, I had feelings of "Gosh, it won't be as much fun any more if I can't bring home my trophy." Without bringing my catch home, how was I going to keep score so to speak. Well, I concluded that I just needed to keep count of my catch. That way I would know, and, if someone asked me how I did, I could tell them. The trophy went from being a good mess of fish to a good report of the number and quality of fish, e.g you still had something to be proud of and tell about. This worked great for friends, family amd me. We now only keep fish we are going to eat today or tomorrow, fish for a scheduled fish fry or fish to freeze for our church food pantry.

I would second your implied suggestion that readers who catch way more fish than they can eat switch to catch and release as I have described it above, and only keep what they have specific use for.
Posted By: LILTINBOAT

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/11/09 04:41 AM

I feel that as long as someone ( yourself,friends,family) can use them, by all means keep them. But if there is a small fishmarket hidden in the deep corners of you freezer throw them back. I keep alot, but I eat almost everything I catch in a week. Usually, the neighbors all gather up on Sunday afternoon and we fry up whats left

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/11/09 01:26 PM

Sorry for hijacking your post Gibby.
Not saying people should not keep fish. We actually kept/cleaned about 30 for ourselves Saturday. People who are lucky enough to fish several days a week should exercise some restraint and only keep fish as needed. Don't just keep them for the sake of bragging rights. That being said, maybe they are giving them to a deserving family or something so who am I to judge. Its their decision to make not mine. My main point (theory) was that LL has likely been impacted by all the fishing pressure not that keeping fish is right or wrong. cheers
Posted By: Jeff Schiller

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/11/09 02:09 PM

Not that fishing pressure isn't to blame - in part, but also keep in mind that lakes are generally cyclical in nature. The lake (or species of fish, actually) will be up for a period of time and then start trending down and then start trending back up.

It's just another factor.
Posted By: don the angler

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/12/09 12:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Jeff Schiller
Not that fishing pressure isn't to blame - in part, but also keep in mind that lakes are generally cyclical in nature. The lake (or species of fish, actually) will be up for a period of time and then start trending down and then start trending back up.

That's correct, Jeff. I was thinking the same thing while at work today.

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/12/09 01:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeff Schiller

I totally agree Jeff. If there was zero fishing pressure, I think the number of fish in a given lake would still fluctuate due to other factors like algae blooms, shad population, weather related spawning conditions, etc. I think in the case of LL, fishing pressure is a huge contributor to fish population fluctuations though.
Posted By: HonkyVoodooFishing

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/12/09 01:55 PM

Prime example....years ago Lewisville had a MASSIVE die off of sand bass. Almost wiped out the entire population.

Posted By: fisherman dan

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/12/09 02:19 PM

With all of these theories, the question remains: what do we expect in the spring? Will the lake start producing again or will it be a recovery year? FYI- I believe catch and release of 99% of my fish, 100% of the hybrids. Bragging rights can be supported by pictures. But, that's just me. I fish for the pure sport/challenge and relaxation. There's no better way to de-stress, unless you run into the occasional "rude boater, jet skier or just plain ignorant fisherperson" that is.Good thread. Very interesting.
Posted By: Fishin Coop

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/12/09 03:05 PM

Here's a thought or two - In spring of 2007 we had massive amounts of rain which rose the lake level to near record high. This may have prevented a successful spawn which is in line with the nature theory. And if fishing pressure is the determined cause of the fish population decline, then TPWD needs to adjust daily bag limits and/or size limitations for white bass on Lake Lewisville.

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/12/09 03:27 PM

Lewisville definitely gets a lot of pressure and that, along with the weather changes and spawn success/failure/mediocrity and general fluctuations all contribute.

So...everybody stop fishing Lewisville. Maybe I'll have a fighting chance then. grin
Posted By: David's Fishing Guide Service

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/12/09 04:35 PM

Here is some info from the TPWD. All lakes go through a cycle, it just so happens to be LL's turn. Everybody can relax LL is not fished out, the lake was down this past year during the spawn. It's just going to be a slow year for the lake. Please read this article having to do with white bass bag limits, harvesting, and spawning requirements and habits.

Life History and Biology
White bass are migratory open-water fish. Most of their life is spent in the open-water portions of reservoirs chasing schools of small gizzard and threadfin shad. In late winter (December-January) schools of white bass migrate to the upper portion of reservoirs awaiting environmental cues signaling the start of the spawning migration up major tributaries. In February and March they begin their spawning migration seeking clean gravel and rock substrate with good flow to spawn. Riffles and shoals are common spawning locations. How far white bass migrate is extremely variable, but it is not uncommon to find spawning white bass 25-50 miles above the reservoir. This may be related to river and stream flow, which varies among years. Fisheries biologists are unsure if adult white bass return to the same spawning spot each year, or if it is a random occurrence. After spawning, adult fish migrate back into the main body of the reservoir. The whole spawning migration is usually complete by sometime in May. Interestingly, “tributary” spawning may not be inherent in all white bass. Some white bass may spend their entire lives in the main portion of reservoirs, spawning on wind-blown, rocky shoals instead of in major tributaries.

Of the three temperate basses found in Central Texas (white bass, striped bass and hybrid striped bass) only white bass successfully reproduce in significant numbers, although the other two species may also migrate up tributaries in the spring. Central Texas striped bass and hybrid striped bass populations are completely supported from stockings by Texas Parks and Wildlife Department fish hatcheries. White bass are not nest builders. Spawning takes place in mid-water. The female rises toward the surface enticing males to follow. Fertilized eggs drift to the bottom and adhere to gravel or rock. Eggs usually hatch within 2 to 3 days. The newly hatched fry migrate downstream in schools seeking food and protection. On many Central Texas reservoirs white bass grow rapidly, normally attaining a size of 9 to 10 inches in their first year of life and 12 inches by the end of the second. This is faster than the statewide average. The life expectancy of white bass is short and few reach 5 years old. Although no studies have specifically looked at sexual maturity of white bass in Central Texas, fisheries biologists think that males become sexually mature at age one (8-9 inches) and females at age two (12-13 inches). This would be similar to fast growing populations in Tennessee and Arkansas. No studies in the Southern United States found significant numbers of female white bass less than 10 inches that were reproductively mature. A white bass weighs approximately 0.5 pounds at 10 inches and 0.9 pounds at 12 inches.

Fisheries Management and Fishing Regulations
White bass in Texas are currently managed with a statewide 10-inch minimum length and 25-fish daily bag limit. An experimental 12-inch minimum length limit was implemented on several Central Texas reservoirs between 1995 and 2003. The purpose of the experimental regulation was to test whether additional protection would delay harvest of immature female white bass and increase population abundance and average size of white bass. Evaluation of the12-inch minimum length limit indicated this regulation failed to improve white bass populations in Central Texas Reservoirs. In addition to fast growth, a high level of angler harvest was required for this regulation to work. These requirements were based on computer generated models utilizing fisheries data collected on these populations. Angler creel data collected by TPWD, suggest that harvest rates for white bass were likely below the threshold level needed for the greater length restriction to be effective. Other research conducted by TPWD, and supported by recent scientific literature, indicates white bass reproductive success is highly correlated with springtime reservoir inflows. In other words, higher than average spring inflows to reservoirs correspond with higher than average white bass spawning production and vice versa. Environmental conditions can play a large role in determining white bass densities.

TPWD will continue to monitor white bass populations and angler harvest rates to determine what length limit is best suited for these fisheries. If fishing pressure significantly increases in the future and harvest levels reach a critical point, TPWD will consider alternative regulations. Currently, alternative regulations are not warranted.

Next: Seasonal fishing patterns

The authors wish to thank TPWD Inland Fisheries employees Floyd Teat and Mark Webb for contributing to this report.

Download a printable version of this document. (PDF 130.8 KB)

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/12/09 04:45 PM

Great article David.

Just to throw a tiny monkey wrench in there.

Not all fish spawn at the same time.
Not all fish go upstream to spawn.

Water fluctuations can/will affect those that go upstream to spawn while the water is fluctuating.
Posted By: David's Fishing Guide Service

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/12/09 05:18 PM

Yes it is true that not all fish spawn at the same time but when the lake is down for the entire spring(no flow in the creeks) and the wind blows upwards of 30 to 40 mph daily on the lake(trust me I know how windy it was on LL this year during the spawn! I was there.) I think you could say that the weather and water conditions on LL were not conducive for a quality year for the Sandbass in LL.

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/12/09 07:52 PM

My experience has been lots of under sized fish caught this and last year but not a lot big fish. In fact, I have literally caught hundreds of fingerlings when throwing my cast net for shad on the few occasions I used bait. This tells me that we had a reasonably good spawn. Of course I'm just one guy. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the lake is fished out just opining that it is in a temporary decline primarily due to pressure. I'm sure it will rebound.
Posted By: Mark C

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/13/09 12:43 AM

With regard to Lewisville -

"The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated."
Mark Twain

They bit really well this afternoon.....
Posted By: Dennis Christian

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/13/09 01:03 AM

When conditions are not conducive to spawning throughout the spawning season, females will re-obsorb their eggs (I've cleaned many with partially re-obsorbed eggs). Did those of you who fish LL regularly observe a substantial amount of re-obsorbtion this past spring?
Posted By: nogeese

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/13/09 02:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Dennis Christian
When conditions are not conducive to spawning throughout the spawning season, females will re-obsorb their eggs (I've cleaned many with partially re-obsorbed eggs). Did those of you who fish LL regularly observe a substantial amount of re-obsorbtion this past spring?

some but not much... as far as creek inflows I caught alot of fish this spring up in one creek in paticular... and there was no shortage of fish... as far as I could see we had a great spawn. and I caught fish consistantly for several weeks.
Posted By: BrianTx01

Re: Lake Lewisville - 11/14/09 04:04 AM

White bass are so prolific I doubt that fish harvest has anything to do with the numbers currently being caught. Grapevine has been slow all year but has started to pick up. I imagine Lewisville may not be far behind...but this fair fall weather my give way and you may have to wait for spring. It is my opinion that lake conditions...such as the drought of 2006 and the subsequent flooding in 2007 took its toll on area lakes. I know that Grapevine only had one ramp open in parts of 2006 due to low water. During this time a lot of vegitation took root in normally flooded lands. In 2007, these areas flooded...the vegitation died and the natural decaying process took oxygen out of the water.

That is my theory for what it is worth. A small number of sandies can turn into scores within a few years. Just keep in mind that never put one sand bass in lake lewisville.

As for hybrids...that is a different story.
Posted By: AlvinMack

Re: Lake Lewisville - 12/28/09 02:54 AM

Incredible read David. Here in Minnesota we have fantastic White Bass fishing and to be quite honest nobody fishes them. In fact I will go on a limb and say the majority of folks in this area consider them to be a trash fish. This ironically is complete garbage in my book! When I chase the spawners in the spring it’s not unheard of to go into the mid 100's for numbers with two in the boat during the spawn.

As a result of the little attention this species gets we also have very little information. In my heart of hearts I always suspected that the fish I am on in the spring are several miles downstream in the deeper reservoir sections of the river I fish and your reading validated that thought!

Thanks, Mike

Posted By: DAMFISHERMAN

Re: Lake Lewisville - 01/01/10 06:55 PM

that sucks
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum