Texas Fishing Forum

What would you consider the best Sandbass lure?

Posted By: EJ2000

What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 05/27/09 02:26 PM

I want to get into fishing for sandbass and i am looking for information on lures for sandbass. I know once they school you can threw just about anything out there and it's ON!! But from the experts what is the best lure to you?
Posted By: Mo

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 05/27/09 02:31 PM

this one in one oz silver, after you learn how to use it.

MO
Posted By: bigtexnick

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 05/27/09 03:14 PM

any kind of flashy spoon
Posted By: Gone Fishin'

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 05/27/09 03:16 PM

We run two boats and fish about 400 trips a year. We use a 1 oz. Slab from RSR Lures ( www.rsrlures.com )just like the one Mo has in the picture. We clean a little over 25,000 Sandies a year and estimate our customers catch over 100,000 a year. About 90% are caught on slabs with the rest falling to Rat-L-Traps and Tiny Torpedos. All fish caught on Richland Chambers.

The Slab is the bait Sandies & Hybrid Stripers. smile

Royce & Adam Simmons
Gone Fishin' Guide Service
www.gonefishin.biz
Posted By: rbadley

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 05/27/09 03:34 PM

I agree with the above about a slab. By far the best overall bait for whites and hybrids. My personal favorite colors are silver holographic, chartreuse/white, and pink/chartruse.
Posted By: pencilpopper

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 05/27/09 04:05 PM

Sandjohnny Quasimodo

Posted By: Bluwave Mike

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 05/27/09 04:05 PM

chartruse Yellow slab.
Posted By: fatbass04

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 05/27/09 04:20 PM

1" straws spaced about 8" apart placed on an aberdeen hook tied above any ole slab. chrome, chart, white it usually doesn't matter most your hits will come on the straw. you will get the occassional double hookup and you get to cover more depth while slabbing.
Posted By: Paul Rogers

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 05/27/09 04:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Gone Fishin'
We run two boats and fish about 400 trips a year. We use a 1 oz. Slab from RSR Lures ( www.rsrlures.com )just like the one Mo has in the picture. We clean a little over 25,000 Sandies a year and estimate our customers catch over 100,000 a year. About 90% are caught on slabs with the rest falling to Rat-L-Traps and Tiny Torpedos. All fish caught on Richland Chambers.

The Slab is the bait Sandies & Hybrid Stripers. smile

Royce & Adam Simmons
Gone Fishin' Guide Service
www.gonefishin.biz

+1
Posted By: Kerry Dugan

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 05/27/09 04:31 PM

# 9 shad rap, trolled about 4 at time zig zagging in between the boat show with surfacing fish rolfmao rolfmao rolfmao
Posted By: BASSCATJB

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 05/27/09 05:08 PM

I use Sandjohnny's "Ole Uglie" slabs (any color) with a Spanish Fly tag along but they are pretty pricey. smile
Posted By: "Da" NITRO

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 05/27/09 05:21 PM

All slabs are going to catch sand bass, whether they're from one place or another. The thing that sets slabs a part from others is the longevity of the slab (how long it lasts before having to be replaced). I used slabs on 50 trips last year and caught nearly 5,000 sandies. Over the entire year, I used 5 slabs total. That is an average of 1,000 fish per slab. I have used just about every slab out there and the one that lasts the longest is the TNT180 made by Trolling Nolan's Tackle Co. My favorite two slabs are the silver holographic 180 and the
gold holographic with red head 180, bot in 1 & 2 oz sizes (for different parts of the year). If you want to check them out, just click on the TNT logo in my signature. I'm not endorsed or sponsored by TNT, I'm just a guy that loves to fish and loves his TNT180's thumb

Posted By: BigDad

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 05/27/09 05:32 PM

A 1 oz or 1.5 oz slab (TNT 180) with a Flies-by-Night fly tied 18" above it. Color is not real important but I like chartreuse, white or silver. I like to use a heavy fluorocarbon leader (25-30 lb) just in case I get a couple of big hybrids. Light leaders will break with 2 hybrids pulling against each other. The knot is very important when tying on the fly. I like the dropper loop. Other loop knots I've tried will break.
Posted By: BigDad

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 05/27/09 05:37 PM

Originally Posted By: fatbass04
1" straws spaced about 8" apart placed on an aberdeen hook tied above any ole slab. chrome, chart, white it usually doesn't matter most your hits will come on the straw. you will get the occassional double hookup and you get to cover more depth while slabbing.

What kind of straws, are you talking about plastic drinking straws? I'd like to see a photo of your set up.
Posted By: BOSTON BOB

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 05/27/09 05:39 PM

Originally Posted By: BigDad
A 1 oz or 1.5 oz slab (TNT 180) with a Flies-by-Night fly tied 18" above it. Color is not real important but I like chartreuse, white or silver. I like to use a heavy fluorocarbon leader (25-30 lb) just in case I get a couple of big hybrids. Light leaders will break with 2 hybrids pulling against each other. The knot is very important when tying on the fly. I like the dropper loop. Other loop knots I've tried will break.

+1 on that post!!!! I wonder where I learned that stuff???? noidea wink
Posted By: gottabefishn

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 05/27/09 06:01 PM

+2 cool
Posted By: fastguy�

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 05/27/09 07:09 PM

A crappie fisherman/guide of note frequently states " it's the jigger not the jig."
Posted By: sandjohnny

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 05/27/09 07:32 PM

I use ole uglies . I agree with nitro on slabs. I use a paint that is the best, non of the commerical slab people use it because it cost too much.Thats why I give them away. I have threw them on rip rap.The important thing is to locate sandbass and the slab you like will catch fish.
Johnny
Posted By: Texas Guide Fishing - Mark Parker

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 05/27/09 07:39 PM

For me its the slab - specically the Mark Parker Special Casting Spoons from TNT http://www.trollingnolanstackle.com/casting.htm - in 1.5oz. I don't know how that bait ended up with my name on it but it did - I don't make anything on it - But it just works (for every one and all lakes - and even in salt water catching whatever - Blue Fish, Skip Jacks, Specs, Red Fish, and even the elusive Pompano, etc, ect, etc... they just work for all fish - salt and fresh).

Why so much weight? - becuase I have a lot of customers in the boat and as I move around on the trolling motor to stay on the fish - that weight (1.5oz) helps keep them from getting tangled up with each other (plus they can feel the bottom better than a lighter lure).

Also the bigger it is - we have a better shot at the Striper/Hybrids (and catching those Big - BIG Ol White Bass).

Those wide body casting spoons fall perfect (lot's of flutter - and that fall - It is the key - they fall perfect and are easy to use) and if we need to rip them up from the bottom or work surfacing fish it too - it has a great action on that (on a straight retrive).

I'm sold - I'm buying some more Bryon (be looking for another call from me - It's time for me to reorder),

Posted By: DEERSTRANGLER�

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 05/27/09 09:13 PM

Originally Posted By: pencilpopper
Sandjohnny Quasimodo

Originally Posted By: BASSCATJB
I use Sandjohnny's "Ole Uglie" slabs (any color) with a Spanish Fly tag along but they are pretty pricey. smile

+1 I've recently really gotten used to slabing for sandbass. Now that I know which one I prefer I'll probably bust it off(white/gold) Those spinners that Johnny makes are awesome because you can slow it down and they still spin and vibrate like crazy.
Posted By: Texasredneck70

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 05/27/09 10:28 PM

TNT!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: txsuperman

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 05/27/09 10:34 PM

If you're not using a "flies by night" jig then you are missing fish. I used to fish with just a slab, but once i started using this jig, I caught more fish, and a lot of the time it's on the jig.
Posted By: Minnerdunker

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 05/27/09 11:00 PM

I've had better luck on the Humdingers. But then, I've got an unlimited supply.
Posted By: Ray Hubbard Guide- J.V.

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 05/27/09 11:02 PM

Most of the time slab does not matter. It is about size and presentation. I have always said give me a chunk of lead, hooks and fingernail polish and I can catch fish laugh but with that being said I do like longevity and different actions for different times of year. There is no super slab but some very well made ones. I use SSS slabs from MOE‘s, TNT slabs, Humdinger slabs and I have ones that Royce uses , that was one of the first holographic slab laugh Learn what presentation to use and you can catch them… good luck if you need any help feel free to call or PM me thumb

Posted By: BrianTx01

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 05/28/09 01:40 AM

I have my best luck on 5/8 oz Humdingers. You can get them at Fun-N-Sun in Hurst on Hwy 10.
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 05/28/09 03:01 AM

Right now I swear by the chrome and pink 180 from TNT slabs. Bryon has made a believer out of me.
Posted By: Lovfldx

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 05/28/09 06:24 AM

For sandbass you don't need but 3 types of lures:

(1) Slab. Color, weight, make, model, bells/whistles, don't matter.

(2) 1/8 th oz jig head, preferably UNPAINTED, with a curly tail grub,in the 2-3 inch range impaled on it, and tied 12-18 inches ABOVE the slab. Color: whatever you think is pretty!

if you can't catch fish with this rig, take up golf!

(3) Rooster Tails! Again size, make, model, color, bells/whistles--whatever you are willing to spend on, go for it! Never seen a sandbass yet that won't viciously attack a RT when the fish is suspended, shallow or on the surface!

Give me these 3, and all other conditions being equal, I will either kick butt, or bare minimum, hold my own!

KISS(Keep It Simple S_ _ _ _ D!). I completely subscribe to the "Jigger not the jig" theory!

BTW, the 99 cent variety of the Silver Dollar brand Slabs have been producing gangbusters for me lately, on recent trips to LL with both the GREAT DTA and The Nearly as Famous Robert "Papa" Peck! Several hundred sandies into the boat, and a few hybrids thrown in are all the testimony i need!

Rudy
Posted By: Lakeguide

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 05/28/09 11:03 AM

OK, my secret bait is out..... grin
Posted By: Fly

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 05/28/09 11:39 AM

Pretty much any slab topped with a Tag-A-Long dropper fly 18 inches above it. The weight of the slab depends on how fast you're being blown accross the lake. Try to keep your presentation vertical.
Posted By: kickenbass6

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 05/28/09 11:44 AM

there is hundreads of different types of boats and everyone will swear that it is the best boat rides good and everything but not 2 people are exactly the same that is why we will never agree on anything but the moes tackle SSS has been putting them in the boat for me.
Posted By: Slabman ‘180’

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 05/28/09 10:45 PM

Thanks guys for your support of my product. Its slabbing time now, favorite time of year.
Posted By: Texas Guide Fishing - Mark Parker

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 05/28/09 11:05 PM

As to Humdingers,

I just gave all my away - they catch fish - but it's not for me (or the customers I fish with),

For me it's TNT SLABS - Sassy Shads and top water.

Humdingers are rinkie dink (In my opinion)- but good for a novice,

Posted By: BobC

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 05/28/09 11:20 PM

Humdingers and TNT slabs work for me!

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 05/28/09 11:30 PM

Hey guys, just wanted to let all know who are interested in trying out a good many of the baits mentioned above, check out www.finnytribe.com Jay Don is super fast at shipping out baits, I know some of these other bait makers are faster out getting out products, with finny tribe you get to try lots of products pay shipping to one place, and get them fast, tough to beat.....
Posted By: redfin®

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 05/29/09 12:06 AM

I've witnessed Big Dad +3 in his boat on Lake X catch over 600 fish in one day using the slab with a flies-by-night fly above it - they were catching doubles about every drop - legal hybrids and magnum sandbass. THAT in my book is a very deadly combo!
Posted By: Minnerdunker

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 05/29/09 02:23 AM

Mark Parker--

What makes the Humdingers "RINKIE-DINK" (in your opinion)?
Posted By: gotreal formerly known as getreal

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 05/29/09 03:29 AM

he is not sponsoring it/ only tnt. try a slab from academy 1.29 any color
Posted By: Fountain390

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 05/29/09 03:48 AM

If you find the sandies schooling, a rusty hood will catch em, put a old led weight on it, it will fall deeper and you catch hybrids.DUH! fish
Posted By: Bluwave Mike

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 05/29/09 06:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Ray Hubbard Guide- John Varner
Most of the time slab does not matter. It is about size and presentation. I have always said give me a chunk of lead, hooks and fingernail polish and I can catch fish laugh but with that being said I do like longevity and different actions for different times of year. There is no super slab but some very well made ones. I use SSS slabs from MOE‘s, TNT slabs, Humdinger slabs and I have ones that Royce uses , that was one of the first holographic slab laugh Learn what presentation to use and you can catch them… good luck if you need any help feel free to call or PM me thumb

Thank you. I thought it was just me. I started to think I was watching Billy Mays trying to sell slabs. I've caught SB on a hook with a cigerett butt just to show they will hit anything.
Posted By: Flies-By-Night

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 05/29/09 05:01 PM

Originally Posted By: redfin®
I've witnessed Big Dad +3 in his boat on Lake X catch over 600 fish in one day using the slab with a flies-by-night fly above it - they were catching doubles about every drop - legal hybrids and magnum sandbass. THAT in my book is a very deadly combo!

thumb
Posted By: jbritton76

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 05/29/09 09:33 PM

OlUglies!!
Posted By: "Da" NITRO

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 05/30/09 03:17 AM

Originally Posted By: gotreal formerly known as getreal

rolfmao

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 05/30/09 03:38 AM

Originally Posted By: gotreal formerly known as getreal
Any slab will catch fish, and I have caught fish on many different brands of slabs. Thats a great price too. I heard a rumor that Academy was looking to get some other slab baits as well.... I guess that would be do to the fact that not everyone wants a 1.29 slab, that doesnt make either choice inferior.... it just makes it a choice.

I will let you advertise my baits or sponsor my baits,but be forwarned. I dont give baits away to my pro staff guides. Not to say I never have, I had to start somewhere just like anyone else who is trying to start a business. But just know that as busy as I get at times of the year and the way my baits are made, that even pro staff have to buy them (and that is still guite a bit more than $1.29,lol). I am however interested in adding my baits to your line up of other baits, grin I think all of the other bait makers who make baits and sell on this forum will tell you, its not a get rich thing we do. It is something that we do because we enjoy doing it, and helping fellow fishermen. The threads really are nice to read when its your stuff that folks are giving props to. But I have been on the bad side of them as well, havent always carried myself the way I should have. Live n Learn. The bait threads are no different to guide threads, boat or outboard threads. All based on opinions. We all have opinions which allow for choices....great country we live in. Hope you dont take my thread wrong, I just thought I would take a minute to chime in.
Posted By: gotreal formerly known as getreal

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 05/30/09 05:22 AM

why that man downin humdinger for. himdinger a goodun i guarantee. send a few tnt my way and i sponsor prostaff for u if and only they work good. other wise no deal i got my ethics or somesuch. thank ye. tc
Posted By: 2-stroke

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 05/30/09 06:34 AM

been a couple years now since I've tied on anything other than a TNT slab or a humdinger................
Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 05/30/09 09:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Mo
this one in one oz silver, after you learn how to use it.

MO

Lil River 1oz Prizem Gold or silver
Posted By: StephenB

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 05/30/09 09:58 PM

Using any sort of jig 1.5' above your shad looking slab is WAY worth it.
Posted By: goodchk

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 05/31/09 05:37 PM

I want to buy the 1 oz. Slab from RSR Lures. I will be ordering a dozen or two. Can I get some recommendations on what colors to buy? I want to buy a combination of the shad and minnow series. I will be fishing on Lake Lewisville and Ray Roberts. Any advise will be appriciated.
Posted By: Gone Fishin'

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 05/31/09 06:13 PM

Can't go wrong with the Silver or Chartruse Glitter. I also use a lot of the Chartruse Paint Shad.

When they're biting, doesn't seem to matter. But when they're contrary, the Silver Glitter Shad is the go to bait for me.

Royce
www.gonefishin.biz

Tell Ron Ratley hello from Royce!!!
Posted By: Brother Terry

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 05/31/09 09:24 PM

Old ugly...tuff ...flutters great...and are free!!!!!!!!!! If you know the right guy!
Posted By: Frank I

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 05/31/09 10:10 PM

Gotta add the Bomber 7/8 oz slab to this thread. White or chartruse works best for me on LL.
Posted By: horton5303

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 03/01/13 02:10 AM

Double Maribou Jig rig for deep water. in this color. Rig up 2 on your line. Put the Chartreuse Head on the bottom.

Posted By: lenahorse

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 03/01/13 02:30 AM

I grew up fishing with my father for sandies on Texhoma, then we used a lure/spoon called a SideWinder, I still have several and last summer caught alot on them. I have not seen them forsale in years.
Posted By: sandjohnny

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 03/01/13 02:41 AM

Man is this an ole thread. Almost as old as me.LOL
Johnny
Posted By: Dennis Christian

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 03/01/13 02:43 AM

I used Sidewinders on Eagle Mountain in the 1970s and 80s. Fond memories! I still try slabs and spoons occasionally, but can always do better with my usual sandbass lure.
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 03/01/13 02:53 AM

I have to say the chartreuse RH McQueen from Moe's tackle has won a few tournaments lately. That is my go to bait.
Posted By: luv to fish

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 03/01/13 03:16 AM

Originally Posted By: CHAMPION FISH
I have to say the chartreuse RH McQueen from Moe's tackle has won a few tournaments lately. That is my go to bait.

+1. thumb
Posted By: Tneel

Re: What would you consider the best Sandbass lure? - 03/01/13 03:25 AM

One of my all time favorite river baits was a Mirrolure 3M 11 Floater.Too bad they haven't made them in a long time.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum