Texas Fishing Forum

I hate jug lines at CC

Posted By: Elk34

I hate jug lines at CC - 08/06/07 05:27 PM

I had a frustrating experience while fishing at CC yesterday. The water is warmer now so I figured I would give the Hellpet a try. While trolling one of my normal spots two guys come through and start dropping jug lines in the spot. This effectively blocked my patch and I had to decide to either run a slalom course to get through or cut off short or move on. These guys set their jug lines out and then went and started trolling around on their own and then would check the jug lines periodically. To me this is like putting out 6 marker buoys to mark "your" spot. Plus, I am never comfortable trolling by a jug line because I am afraid I will get hung up on their line. Anyone else have a problem with this?
Posted By: BIG OLE BOBBERS

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/06/07 05:29 PM

I think all jug lines & trot lines should be banned.
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/06/07 05:32 PM

just hang em up, drag em off, and cut them!!! that'll teach them lazy turds to put out unmanned fishing devices in the middle of everyone else!
Posted By: "Da" NITRO

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/06/07 05:34 PM

Oh man, here we go with another topic that is going to bring some heat. Oh well, I hate the darn things myself. I pull an old one up from the depths while slab fishing, every other time I'm out on RH. The last one had a huge block attached to it. I would like to see these things banned all together.

Now I'll sit back and wait to be crucified by Juggers & Trotters out there:)

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/06/07 05:43 PM

I cut 4 trot lines Sunday that I hung my DD22 on. None of them legal BTW. looked like they had been there for years.
Posted By: Rick Paradis

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/06/07 05:46 PM

There is nothing worse then having one wrapped up around your trolling motor, If I have to unwrap one from my boat, I feel it becomes my property. If there are any fish left on them, I will turn them loose. I will then grab my marker and write my name and phone number on and put a little message on it for the owner to call me and I will explain to them why there jug line is missing. If you going to put out a jug line, atleast put it to where most people wont be trolling, cause everybody knows that most of the time the guys are in flat bottom boats, I cant get my 21ft boat in places where those guys go. I will not go out of my way to cut one, but if I snag one with any part of my boat or lure, sorry guys but your jug line is history.... Just my 2 cents

Posted By: DaveB

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/06/07 05:49 PM

If they are manning them constantly it's not a problem for me. Unless they set them around where I am fishing. Most of these people put them out and leave them. I've gotten several of them caught in my prop and my TM prop. I cut them off and throw them in the trash. Sorry for your loss. Shouldn't litter our lakes anyways. Yes they should be banned or they should be marked with name/address/tx drivers license # and phone # of who set them out. TXPWD needs to help police the problem also. Get the popcorn out cuz this is gonna be a long fight.
Posted By: BigDad

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/06/07 05:49 PM

Lots of people feel the same way about trollers that get too close. As long as they are legal, live and let live I always say.
Posted By: Guide Chuck Rollins

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/06/07 05:54 PM

I dont have a problem with them until they are ran in an area like you mentioned. I little respect for others goes a long way. He probably knew it would be in your way but didnt care! I wouldnt hesitate to cut one if I get caught in it. I dont run them and really dont care for them either.

Its kinda like this guy in a deck boat this morning that continued to drive through the surfacing sandies and hybrids. I politely mentioned to him that he is scaring them down when he does it but he didnt seem to care. I have found myself growing more impatient with these type of fisherman. If someone is going to be fishing for sandies and hybrids on the surface I wish they would pull upwind and drift through them if they dont have a trolling motor. This guy would drive directly through them and tick off everyone fishing nearby. Too bad we dont have fish police that would keep people from doing this. It is extremely upseting to have paying customers on the boat and for these type of people to ruin it for them. Even my customers notice how inconsiderate it is. Where do these people come from? i have a hard time believing it's ignorance on there part after they have been asked not to do it.
Ok, sorry, I had to get that off my chest!
Posted By: Hook'emUTbass

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/06/07 05:57 PM

I also think some boaters should have to take a boating course.

How do you get one in the trolling motor? If you paid more attention, that shouldn't happen, ever!!!!!!!

You are responsible for your vessel, and there are no excuses for not observing JUG LINES or any other obstacles in the water.

Matt

Posted By: DallasLoanGuy

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/06/07 06:00 PM

The lake doesn't belong to us sandbass fishers. juggers have rights too.

i dont like em either.... but they can set them wherever the law allows

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/06/07 06:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Hook'emUTbass

How do you get one in the trolling motor? If you paid more attention, that shouldn't happen, ever!!!!!!!

You are responsible for your vessel, and there are no excuses for not observing JUG LINES or any other obstacles in the water.

Matt

noidea
Posted By: DaveB

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/06/07 06:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Guide Chuck Rollins
I dont have a problem with them until they are ran in an area like you mentioned. I little respect for others goes a long way. He probably knew it would be in your way but didnt care! I wouldnt hesitate to cut one if I get caught in it. I dont run them and really dont care for them either.

Its kinda like this guy in a deck boat this morning that continued to drive through the surfacing sandies and hybrids. I politely mentioned to him that he is scaring them down when he does it but he didnt seem to care. I have found myself growing more impatient with these type of fisherman. If someone is going to be fishing for sandies and hybrids on the surface I wish they would pull upwind and drift through them if they dont have a trolling motor. This guy would drive directly through them and tick off everyone fishing nearby. Too bad we dont have fish police that would keep people from doing this. It is extremely upseting to have paying customers on the boat and for these type of people to ruin it for them. Even my customers notice how inconsiderate it is. Where do these people come from? i have a hard time believing it's ignorance on there part after they have been asked not to do it.
Ok, sorry, I had to get that off my chest!

GCR, good comment. thumb There is a different breed of people out there now. They did not grow up with the ettiquette that our parents instilled in us older farts. It's all about them. If they had had their arses whipped when they were kids then they would have learned to respect others.

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/06/07 06:04 PM

Matt

I can't say that I have ever got one caught around my engine prop, of course I hit them at a high rate of speed and with that chopper prop it's fun to watch them explode apart. I just wish they would line them up a little better cause it's hard to turn that quick at that high of speed.

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/06/07 06:07 PM

Is that like the boats anchored moving into where the trollers are first.

Saw a ranger bass boat and BassCat both looked like husband and wife out off of Wolf this weekend trolling a good 1/4 mile away, and they were kick'n some butt, and then the pontoons and few other moved right in and re-anchored in there area.

Seem like theres rudness on both sides of the fence.

matt

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/06/07 06:09 PM

Originally Posted By: BIG OLE BOBBERS

Matt

I can't say that I have ever got one caught around my engine prop, of course I hit them at a high rate of speed and with that chopper prop it's fun to watch them explode apart. I just wish they would line them up a little better cause it's hard to turn that quick at that high of speed.

I call it JUG-O-BOWLING

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/06/07 06:11 PM

I hate jug lines, I hate trollers, I hate people that anchor, I hate jet skiers, I hate kneeboarders, I hate skiers, I hate trotlines, I hate bank fisherman, I hate people that cruise around the lake, I hate clowns & I hate mint chocolate chip ice cream. Okay so I don't hate the ice cream, but I hate the rest.

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/06/07 06:14 PM

These guys were not doing anything illegal as far as I know. The jugs were properly marked and they were checking them periodically. So, it wasn't like the moss covered ones that have been left out for months. But, there was a significant nuisance factor. There were just a lot of them in a key area which I guess is why they put them there.
Posted By: fastguy�

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/06/07 06:32 PM

Big Old Bobbers, I would urge a little caution running over jugs, I hit one about 18 months ago, wrapped the line up and the weight hit my prop, it was an Allison cut from Performance Propellers in Soddy Daisy TN. A small nick, a week later it threw a blade, broke right at the small nick. You know what that cost.......
Since I live on the lake I have a different perspective, I doubt if the people leaving the jugs in the lake would enjoy my trash in their back yard.

Posted By: FishingRich

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/06/07 07:07 PM

Anyone who drops jugs in a traffic area should expect this or atleast know better. By the same token--If I see one--I try to avoid them. BUT---If I snag or wrap up one--it gets cut. The difference is--I'll pull the hook in and chunk it--I don't want to leave a baited hook on the bottom.

Luckily -- I haven't had many problems.
Posted By: BOSTON BOB

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/06/07 07:41 PM

Originally Posted By: jv4cajun
Oh man, here we go with another topic that is going to bring some heat. Oh well, I hate the darn things myself. I pull an old one up from the depths while slab fishing, every other time I'm out on RH. The last one had a huge block attached to it. I would like to see these things banned all together.

Now I'll sit back and wait to be crucified by Juggers & Trotters out there:)

If you really want to heat things up, post a link to this in the catfish section. Then just watch the dookie fly!!!!!!
Posted By: TX0084

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/06/07 07:41 PM

If what they are doing is legal, you don't really have an argument.

You might want to troll where someone else wants to set lines

You might set lines where someone else wants to troll

You might want to ski where someone else wants to fish for sandies.

You might want to fish for sandies where someone else wants to ski.

The list goes on and on.

Fishing is for relaxing, not complaining.

Every day on the lake I see people doing stuff they shouldn't be doing or that is just flat out not considerate of others. I don't let it ruin my fun though. Just keep on fishing and pray that the a-holes get skunked.

Posted By: rrhyne56

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/06/07 08:00 PM

As more and more people are using the lakes it takes more and more attention and effort to maintain etiquette and manners. But we have to do that. Maintain manners that is.
Posted By: bntete

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/06/07 08:15 PM

A link just incase yall want to replace the private property you tore up.http://www.juglinestore.com/

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/06/07 08:21 PM

Originally Posted By: bntete
A link just incase yall want to replace the private property you tore up.http://www.juglinestore.com/

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

Posted By: Polar

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/06/07 08:22 PM

Elk; I suspect I know the area that you are talking about. I was out Saturday night and there were jugs all over the place down by the dam. It was a literal jugfest, but really not the kind that normally grabs my attention wink . I really am not much of a fan of "fishing" jugs although I have put out an occasional one or two in an area that doesn't get much boat traffic . Stretching them out in such a huge area seemed like they wanted to just take over that area of the lake for themselves. They did pick them up(or someone cut them) so it seemed they were following the rules, but just not very respectful of other boaters on the lake.
Posted By: FishingRich

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/06/07 08:28 PM

Originally Posted By: bntete

OK---Here is a link to where "they" can go to replace my prop, trolling moter, or any lure and tackle I loose as a result of hitting or snagging their jug or trot line.
banana
www.basspro.com
Posted By: XYZ

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/06/07 08:30 PM

Originally Posted By: BIG OLE BOBBERS

Matt

A buddy of mine used to run over them on Falcon with his 20 foot Champion and one time the prop and wake threw a washer that was attached to line and clowned my buddy in the cheek. He had a washer imprint to remind him of it for nearly three weeks he also had a mass of nylon and 5/0 hooks on his prop, I must say it was funny. It is like running over stuff on the road the other day I accidently hit a 1/2 piece of bungiee cord on I-20 and it took out one of my side markers.

I undertand the frustration but like one TFF'er said live and let live. I do not use them but where is the "right place" to put them. And as Hook'em said I steer clear of them.

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/06/07 08:52 PM

I'm kidding......do you guys really think I run over jugs intentionally with my boat.

And don't call it jug fishing. There is nothing fishing about it.
Posted By: Michial Thompson

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/06/07 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By: DBman
If they are manning them constantly it's not a problem for me. Unless they set them around where I am fishing. Most of these people put them out and leave them. I've gotten several of them caught in my prop and my TM prop. I cut them off and throw them in the trash. Sorry for your loss. Shouldn't litter our lakes anyways. Yes they should be banned or they should be marked with name/address/tx drivers license # and phone # of who set them out. TXPWD needs to help police the problem also. Get the popcorn out cuz this is gonna be a long fight.

Actually the law says that they are supposed to be marked with the owners name and contact information. If they aren't then as far as Im concerned they are just trash floating on the water...

Posted By: luvdemslabs

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/06/07 09:29 PM

popcorn popcorn popcorn fish
Posted By: Parker

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/06/07 10:00 PM

If they had a red chinese imported slab tied on each one of them they werent mine.

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/06/07 10:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Michial Thompson
Originally Posted By: DBman

Actually the law says that they are supposed to be marked with the owners name and contact information. If they aren't then as far as Im concerned they are just trash floating on the water...

while i do not condone the destruction of private property(floating or not)
this last statement has legs

Posted By: TNT OUTDOORSMAN

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/06/07 10:25 PM

Yes this really rubs me wrong!First do you guys believe you are the only one's that have right's?If the lines were set legally you are breaking the law by destroying private property. What goes around,comes around. ever wonder why some thing happened to you[carma]!I fish lines, troll, bank fish, fish the coast. i have had problems with both side's but don't let me catch ANYONE tearing up my stuff! How would you like it if you parked in the street and someone tore up you stuff cause it was in their way !It takes alot of $ and time to make & set the lines.bass &cats live in the same water.i go out of my way to set my lines so no ahole doesn't have enough sense to drag thier line thru markers and hang thier stuff up that give's you no right to cut it, you lost lures on stumps and the like why don't you cut your self.i take my grandkids out to set& run them & they love it but are really dissapointed when all thier work has be trashed.this is what i teach them what do you teach your kid destroy other people's property. This is what our world is turning to.I wonder what txpwd thinks about this link?

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/06/07 11:13 PM

There is a big difference between some one setting a string of bank lines and some one throwing a bunch of Clorox bottles with a hook and sinker tied to them, never to return. Several of the more prominent spots on Cedar Creek were named after jugs that were left or drifted into a snag never to be reclaimed. The blue bottle, the white bottle and the green bottle come to mind. They were left out on the lake for over a year.
I for one can't call jug lines fishing, it is just hoping.
I also think it is illegal to take game fish using one.
Posted By: Yellowcat

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/06/07 11:26 PM

it is simple
DONT CUT a legal line
CUT a illegal line.

this is coming from a kid that runs jugs and trotlines
heck every kind of line there is
Posted By: Guide Chuck Rollins

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/07/07 01:26 AM

There is a reason most rod & reel fisherman dont like jug lines.

#1. Many are lost and left behind half sunken to later be run over and wrapped around ones prop during January so that when the water is freezing we freeze our hands off cutting the 100 lb test line and stainless hooks out of our prop.
#2. Some jug runners prefer to set out 40 or more jugs in one area covering about 300 square yards making it so that no other boat can even access that part of the lake. It's like running a barracade around that part of the lake and saying, "no one else can fish here!).
#3. The other reason is because most fisherman enjoy the skill and persistance it takes to catch and reel in the fish. This is especially true for artificial bait fisherman. Once you fall into this category it's hard to go back. There is something about catching a fish on a lure compared to real bait.

Ofcourse I will attach my disclaimer to this: I nore any one from BigCrappie.com Guide Service agrees or disagrees with any of the above statements. Chuck does not want any threatening emails or posts regarding his unopinion in this matter. He is simply writing the obvious reasons why many people dont like jug lines, (especially on the whitebass forum grin).
Posted By: cuthand1

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/07/07 01:57 AM

I hybrid and white bass fish mostly but I also put out about 10 jug lines somtime for some cats so I have mixed emotions. I've never seen jugs thick enough that you could not fish close to them. Personal opinion is if you cannot see a white bleach bottle in the water and run over it and it gets in your motor you should not be driving a boat. It upsets me to see OLD jugs that you know have been there for months and no one gathered them up. They do need cleaned out properly! I noticed a post that said the fisherman likes to get a maker and put a message on the bottle. All my jugs have my name address and date put out. Leave me a message on my jugs and I will get in contact with you! We can roll around in the mud over it or we can set back and eat some catfish fellets. Your call!!!! I don't cut across the back end of a troller that has 40 yards of line out so don't F#@% with my property. Plenty of water lets go fishing!!!
Posted By: Yellowcat

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/07/07 02:09 AM

Originally Posted By: cuthand1
I hybrid and white bass fish mostly but I also put out about 10 jug lines somtime for some cats so I have mixed emotions. I've never seen jugs thick enough that you could not fish close to them. Personal opinion is if you cannot see a white bleach bottle in the water and run over it and it gets in your motor you should not be driving a boat. It upsets me to see OLD jugs that you know have been there for months and no one gathered them up. They do need cleaned out properly! I noticed a post that said the fisherman likes to get a maker and put a message on the bottle. All my jugs have my name address and date put out. Leave me a message on my jugs and I will get in contact with you! We can roll around in the mud over it or we can set back and eat some catfish fellets. Your call!!!! I don't cut across the back end of a troller that has 40 yards of line out so don't F#@% with my property. Plenty of water lets go fishing!!!

well said
when i run jugs i run about 30.
we put them along the banks of creeks.
but deep enough where they ca still drift (whole point of jug fishin)
Posted By: Rick Paradis

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/07/07 03:05 AM

Matt

I have gotten a couple wrapped up around my trolling motor, because they were strung from tree to tree, they had set the line on the trees below the water line, kinda hard to see under the water.. That is one way to get them wrapped up around the trolling motor....
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/07/07 11:54 AM

fishing must be REALLY slow.

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/07/07 12:20 PM

Thats the right attitude, old man jones had a heart attack and was a little slow on getting to his lines, and some wise cracker cuts them cause he thinks he's above the law.

you don't know why they are there that long, but the correct thing to do is report them, a little less effort than cutting them and rolling them up in your boat would be so simple as to dial a 800 number. Thats right, most just cut and leave them, which is twice as dangerous.

Matt

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/07/07 12:23 PM

Originally Posted By: rickparadis

Matt

I have gotten a couple wrapped up around my trolling motor, because they were strung from tree to tree, they had set the line on the trees below the water line, kinda hard to see under the water.. That is one way to get them wrapped up around the trolling motor....

The topic is juglines and in the first post you made your comments, you said you ran over juglines, and for you do that with a trolling motor is self explantory, no need to put a name wtih it. Nice try for a come back. Read what you post the first time.

matt

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/07/07 12:28 PM

If they are not properly labeled then they are trash, and a good boater will simply pick up the trash and put it in the bag with his own and put it in the dumpster at the end of the day.

I don't go out of my way to look for jug lines, but if one happens to be near a place I want to fish, I guarentee that if it's not white or orange, and doesn't have a name, date and contact information within the top 12" of the line or on the jug, it's going into the trash like all the rest of the floating [censored] I find.

Sorry to say, I pay for a fishing license, I take the time to understand the laws around the type of fishing I do etc... If it's not worth your time to learn the laws then you get what you deserve.

I'm sure I'll enjoy your hooks and weights in the future some time, just be sure to use 1-2 pound lead ingots for me, I do re-use them by melting them into other lures...
Posted By: heycods

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/07/07 01:32 PM

Hey guys we set our trotlines in the hot part of the summer and dont bait them (dont want the cats to die) But you would be surprised how many DD22s and hell-petts, Slabs and such You can catch on an unbaited trotline! It sure saves us a lot of money buying supplies! wink nuts banana

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/07/07 01:38 PM

Originally Posted By: heycods
Hey guys we set our trotlines in the hot part of the summer and dont bait them (dont want the cats to die) But you would be surprised how many DD22s and hell-petts, Slabs and such You can catch on an unbaited trotline! It sure saves us a lot of money buying supplies! wink nuts banana

noidea
Posted By: keltonkrew

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/07/07 01:57 PM

I've had guys try to remove my jugs.....All I can say is don't let me catch you doing it.....I have good contacts with the game wardens and they are always close by.

We're fishing LEGALLY.....you purposely cut my line, you're the illegal one! All my jugs are tagged according to TPWD regulations.....There's plenty of room to fish guys....just cause we might be fishing in "YOUR" hole isn't any reason to destroy someone else's property. Last I heard no one here owns any part of these lakes...they belong to all of us....so respect those of us fishing legally....

If someone is intent on messing with the jugs, I'm sure we could find plenty of jet fleas to ride around you......

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/07/07 02:09 PM

Originally Posted By: keltonkrew
I've had guys try to remove my jugs.....All I can say is don't let me catch you doing it.....I have good contacts with the game wardens and they are always close by.

We're fishing LEGALLY.....you purposely cut my line, you're the illegal one! All my jugs are tagged according to TPWD regulations.....There's plenty of room to fish guys....just cause we might be fishing in "YOUR" hole isn't any reason to destroy someone else's property. Last I heard no one here owns any part of these lakes...they belong to all of us....so respect those of us fishing legally....

If someone is intent on messing with the jugs, I'm sure we could find plenty of jet fleas to ride around you......

What is a jet flea?

Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/07/07 02:11 PM

i dont care if its legal or not, I am getting my $20 lure back out of the lazyman's fishing pole! If I cant get my lure out by spreading the nylon around the hooks- I cut em! too bad, so sad!

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/07/07 02:18 PM

Ronnie,

What happened to your boat? Just noticed the avitar, and read nix's bit about stringers earlier.

Matt

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/07/07 02:30 PM

What is a jet flea?

otherwise known as a pwc, jet ski, sea doo, wave runner, etc..

I have one of those too but leave the guys fishing alone.....but I'm sure a bunch annnoy you when you're trying to fish, just as we're annoyed by people cutting our lines, etc.....what comes around goes around...there's plenty of water to fish out there

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/07/07 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: keltonkrew

What is a jet flea?

otherwise known as a pwc, jet ski, sea doo, wave runner, etc..

I have one of those too but leave the guys fishing alone.....but I'm sure a bunch annnoy you when you're trying to fish, just as we're annoyed by people cutting our lines, etc.....what comes around goes around...there's plenty of water to fish out there

Oh I get it. Nice. I have two jet skiis, but I also use them well away from any type of fishing spots or people that look like they are fishing. My family knows to do the same, since we fish a lot, as well.

Jet skiis, ski boats, jug lines, trotlines other fishing boats don't bother me, it's the inconsiderate people that drive or set them that bother me. The lake I fish on is big enough for everyone to have a good time. I fish early in the morning and will exit the lake around 11:00am to make way for the pleasure boaters. In the summer I will rarely go out in the evening, unless it is very late, because the water will be rough from all of the activities. It's a fair trade off and yes, they have a right to the lake just as much as I do. However, when I am fishing well away from everyone and a jet ski or ski boat drives within 50' of me, when the whole lake is vacant, that bothers me. But, it is the inconsiderate person that is driving the water craft that is the problem.

I run across jug lines all of the time and mostly, they are well marked and properly set. But, when I pull an old line in that was abandoned and or tied to a tree, that's a problem. Or if I see 20 jugs spanning over a large drop off, making it impossible to fish it, that to is a problem. Instead of several fisherman being able to fish this spot, it is only going to be for one greedy individual.

I have found that 90% of the people that I have seen on the lake, are very considerate of others, but it's the 10% that do not care and are very inconsiderate which makes everyone upset.

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/07/07 06:29 PM

Like I said in the above post of mine I mostly fish for hybrids and white bass probly 85% of the time. That being said I cannot for the life of me figure out how a jug line with the line and hooks going down or at best a small angle keeps anyone from fishing that area. Am I missing something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I agree jug line that are illegal (not marked with name,address, when they are put in the water etc.) should be removed. But if jug lines keep you from fishing a area well... I better not say the rest!!!! I think some of y'all are getting trotlines and juglines confused.

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/07/07 06:48 PM

wow... i am shocked at some of the responses.

shocked at some of the low class people posting here too.... willing to cut a man's jug line because you got your trolling motor, big motor or even lure tangled is wrong.

i bet the yellow bellied people cutting those lines are the same people who will run right up on top of me when i am on a hot spot.
wonder if they will cut my anchor line if it 'catches' their lure or they run over it and tangles their motor?.... i think not. <== they are too yellow to do it in front of people.

i have jugged a couple of times because my father-in-law insisted. it was nice to add a couple of cats to the box on the way home. just not really my cup of tea.

i just avoid jugs out on the lake. never, ever had a problem, other than a few times i have pulled up trot lines that were a hundred yrs old

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/07/07 07:17 PM

Man, look what I started. Sorry, I didn't mean to kick the wasp's nest.

I think there are some common things we all have agreed upon. 1) Old and abandoned jug lines should be removed. It would be great if the GW or other official would do it but that doesn't seem to happen very often.

2) We understand that jug line "fishing" can be done legally and that when done legally those lines are the property of the person who put them out and should not be harmed by another person.

The problem is that just because it is a legal action it does not necessarily make it something many of us agree with or like. It would be legal to go through the express lane at the grocery store in front of me and pay in pennies but I sure would be frustrated to be behind you.

Having a bunch of legally placed jug lines laid out in an area that I was fishing in is also frustrating. I never completely know how much line is under water or where exactly it is. If it is 20' deep water and the guy who made the jug line put 40' of line on the setup then it will float at enough of an angle to cause you problems if you troll too close. And, my line might not be exactly where I expect it to be. has anyone not caught there own marker buoy at some point?

Bottom line is that it can still be a legal way of "catching" but I still don't like it.
Posted By: stumpy76522

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/07/07 07:54 PM

Code:
 Bottom line is that it can still be a legal way of "catching" but I still don't like it. 

ELK34, maybe some don't like how you catch fish even if it is legal. We need to have respect for everyone using public waters. Variety in fishing techniques is what makes the sport so interesting.

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/07/07 07:57 PM

Elk34, trust me when I say I'm not trying to be shi**y. I'm just trying to understand some logic here. On your above statement I guess I'm trying to figure out your trolling area. When you say area are you talking about 50 yard circle or are you talking about a cove that is 1/4 mile wide by 1/2 mile long and can no body fish in that area. Tell you the truth I've had 100 times more problem with trollers than I've had with juggers. Don't know, I just don't see it. P.S. I caught my buoy one time but I dang sure did not cut it!

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/07/07 08:04 PM

Jugline:
For use in FRESH WATER only. A fishing line with five or less hooks tied to a free-floating device.
May be used to take NONGAME fish, channel catfish, blue catfish and flathead catfish only.
Placement and Location Restrictions: Juglines may not be used in
Community Fishing Lakes
Reservoirs or sections of rivers lying totally within the boundaries of a state park
Lake Bastrop in Bastrop County
Bellwood Lake in Smith County
Lake Bryan in Brazos County
Boerne City Lake in Kendall County
Lakes Coffee Mill and Davy Crockett in Fannin County
Dixieland Reservoir in Cameron County
Gibbons Creek Reservoir in Grimes County
North Concho River from O.C. Fisher dam to the Bell Street dam
Lake Pflugerville in Travis County
South Concho River from Lone Wolf dam to Bell Street dam
Tankersley Reservoir in Titus County
Tagging and Marking Requirements:
Must be used with a valid GEAR TAG (see Definitions) attached within 6 inches of the free-floating device; gear tag is valid for 30 days after the date set out and must include the number of the permit to sell nongame fish taken from fresh water, if applicable. Properly marked buoys or floats qualify as valid gear tags.
For non-commercial purposes, a jugline must be marked with a white, free-floating device.
For commercial purposes, a jugline must be marked with an orange, free-floating device.
From the Texas Parks and Wildlife web site.

Posted By: Powerman

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/07/07 08:48 PM

I never completely know how much line is under water or where exactly it is. If it is 20' deep water and the guy who made the jug line put 40' of line on the setup then it will float at enough of an angle to cause you problems if you troll too close.

If jug is laying on its side, it has slack. If it standing up or bobbing line is tight.
Posted By: Tim T

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/07/07 09:16 PM

Yall need to talk with a GW about removing a jug that is not tagged from the lake. If it is not tagged it is illegal which means you just picked up an illegal fishing device not trash as you are calling it. If you get caught by a GW with an illegal jug you are subject to a fine. It does not matter if you were getting rid of trash or not you have an illegal fishing device in your boat. I know this first hand.

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/08/07 09:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Tim T
Yall need to talk with a GW about removing a jug that is not tagged from the lake. If it is not tagged it is illegal which means you just picked up an illegal fishing device not trash as you are calling it. If you get caught by a GW with an illegal jug you are subject to a fine. It does not matter if you were getting rid of trash or not you have an illegal fishing device in your boat. I know this first hand.

By the time it's in my trash bag it's no longer a jug line, it's usually more like a bunch of cut up string and a just that I've taken my frustrations out on.

About the only time I'm wasting my time to check to see if a jug is legal or not is if it's cause problems for me, either tangled in my prop or trolling motor or hooked on my line or something like that.

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/08/07 11:26 AM

I guess a question I have is what are you doing getting so close to someones jug to get a prop in it?

I run a lot of jugs, and I get so close we just reach out with our hands to pick them up. In 5 years I've never had a prop in a line....that just really puzzles me...

I've had my jugs occasionally get caught on someone trot line....do I cut their line....HELL NO....I remove my hook...I've been known to cut my own hook off my jug as to not destroy their line...

btw, doesn't matter if it's junk and tore up in your sack...if it's a fishing device with ANY line and Hook, it's an illegal fishing device in your boat!
Posted By: wacopops

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/08/07 11:39 AM

I am 65, been fishing a long time mostly for bass.Everyone has a different bag.As long as it is legal whats the problem.They paid their fee.However if I am out fishing and see a trout or jug line if it is not tagged or out of date, I too will also cut the line.In all of my yrs of fishing I have never caught my motors in a line,baits yes and like I said if it is not legal I will cut it.Grow up fellows, live and let live.Happy trails.
Posted By: GWS147

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/08/07 11:42 AM

Why cant we all just get along. grin
Posted By: killintimebyranb

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/08/07 11:48 AM

I enjoy all kinds of fishing.The arrogance of some fishermen {any style}amazes me.

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/08/07 11:51 AM

I have had my trolling motor wrapped up in a trout line a couple of times, usually from the ones that are tied just below the surface in submerged trees.

I've hit a couple of jug lines, but only one wrapped up in the prop. These were cases where the jug lines were so close together and across an opening to a cove. I'd still have to share responsibility for hitting them, but at the same time they were blocking access to a lot of water too.

I usually don't mess with them unless they cause problems for me. It's been a number of years since I have seen either one that was obviously abandoned.

But for me if they cause problems they are fair game. Same as any other idiot on the water causing problems for me.

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/08/07 11:56 AM

WOW

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/08/07 12:02 PM

problem we get into is people thinking "their" way is the only way to fish....some only prefer live bait and shun those using lures and vice versa...some (even on this thread) think jugging is lazy and not a way to fish.....those of us that jug thinks it's an appropriate way to fish...to each his own....I don't mess with you, you don't mess with me...let's all enjoy the water and catch some fish.

I've seen bass fisherman come right in the middle of my spread, when they should have been hugging the docks and weed banks....I've seen tubers and jet skis using my jugs as ski pylons....

we all have to share the water and enjoy being out there...just cause someone fishes "differently" than you doesn't make it wrong and worthy of you destroying their property!

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/08/07 12:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Tim T

After explaining why you have this "illegal Jug line" in your boat to the warden, he more than likely will thank you and agree with what your doing and send you on your way. I think the warden can take one look in your boat and determine wether or not your a jug fisherman....I mean layerman or not.

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/08/07 12:23 PM

According to GW at Texoma, it is illegal for anyone except the GW to pickup any jug, (used or abandoned)other than the owner. They are trying to get a law that allows a person to pickup old abandoned jugs on certain days under the direction of the GW. This was posted on another web site talking about jugs lines and GW was in conversation, (both OK and TX GW's)

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/08/07 12:55 PM

ELK34 nice response. BOB your statement about the GW is a judgment call that i would not want to take.[having a bad day/ your word against his!] The bottom line is it is the GW responsablty to remove them. If some one would call in a complaint to the GW about illeagal line's that they would remove them!
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/08/07 03:42 PM

This may not seem relevant, but bear with me ...

Along the coast, there is a short (about two weeks) closed season on ANY kind of crab traps, whether recreational or commercial. The purpose of this rule as I understand it, is to identify abandoned/illegal traps & remove them. During this timeframe anyone can remove the traps from the water & dispose of them.

Would a similar rule make sense for juglines in freshwater? A one week closure on their use so that the true trash can get disposed of by anyone out there? I'm asking this sincerely, so please don't beat me too hard ...

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/08/07 04:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Zeek the Greek
This may not seem relevant, but bear with me ...

Along the coast, there is a short (about two weeks) closed season on ANY kind of crab traps, whether recreational or commercial. The purpose of this rule as I understand it, is to identify abandoned/illegal traps & remove them. During this timeframe anyone can remove the traps from the water & dispose of them.

Would a similar rule make sense for juglines in freshwater? A one week closure on their use so that the true trash can get disposed of by anyone out there? I'm asking this sincerely, so please don't beat me too hard ...

A very good suggestion, but juglines are allowed to be in the water for 30 days, there is no season at this time, and allowing fresh water anglers to take the law into their own hands is gonna get some one hurt. I bet the guys who claim to cut them all the time don't do it in front of alot of boats.

Matt

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/08/07 04:17 PM

Man catches dude cutting his jug line

http://www.break.com/index/man-jumps-into-dudes-boat-to-fight.html

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/08/07 04:18 PM

Matt, I know what the rules are now ... I was asking a 'what if' type thing. Personally, the only time I can say I would remove one is if it was so obviously decrepit & old (covered with moss, algae) that it would pose a hazard to normal boaters. Or if one somehow did get wrapped in my prop - have never had that happen though.

On the other hand, I've called game wardens twice for unmarked juglines ... kinda hard not to notice when your drift bumps you over a jug & you can see theres no markings or tags.

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/08/07 04:23 PM

I do jug line some and agree, moss covered and untagged need to come out of the water. I just don't know how to make a law thats not full of loop holes so anyone can say it was abandoned. Does a drifting patch of moss make it old?? Maybe just make sure all jugs are dated at time put in then everyone will know age of it.

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/08/07 06:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Powerman

I didn't have audio when I watched this, but it seems the guy that splashed the water bit off more then he can chew. However, I don't agree with either guys actions. Getting splashed with water would be nice on such a hot day:)

Just because I don't like jug or trot lines, doesn't mean that I think people who do are wrong or are fishing wrong. It just means that I don't like them personally. People can fish however they want, wherever they want, but if people want to fish in an illegal manner, then that is there choice and they will have to deal with the consequences if & when they are caught. There is plenty of room for everyone on the area lakes, just don't jump in my boat if I splash you with water:)
Posted By: Foe

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/08/07 08:01 PM

What a couple of days away from the forum makes. I admit it, I believe my friend and I were the ones using the jug lines. We started on Sunday evening on top of Crappie Island. We ran five jugs along the humps in a straight line. No jug was within 50 yards of each other. We did not see any one actively fishing that area when we started. All jugs were set in less than 18 feet of water and had the line running straight up. Once the jugs were out, we used them as buoys to control our troll. Caught two under hybrids, numerous sandbass, numerous catfish and lost one fishing pole in the water due to a hybrid and not paying attention. I feel we did not interfere with anybody and nobody was trolling around us at all. There were a couple of guys in a green boat slabbing to the east of us. All jugs were legal. The key is the thermocline, and we were on it. It was one of the best fishing trips I have had in awhile. I am not a regular jug fisher but they sure are effective. We must have checked them 3 times in our 3 hour fishing trip. I sandbass and hybrid fish 90% of the time and would not try to ruin anyones trolling lane. BTW, Cedar Creek is full of humps besides the ones we were on.

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/08/07 08:18 PM

You did no wrong, would not worry about it.
Posted By: CB327

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/08/07 09:35 PM

Foe & Powerman,

I would check the Texas Parks and Wildlife Website. If I understand your post you stated you were catching gamefish on the juglines which is illegal. Please read the TP&W website it might keep you out of trouble.

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/08/07 09:44 PM

These old boys were goin fishin when they stopped to listen to the music............
http://youtube.com/watch?v=esl2NNOtHQE&feature=PlayList&p=D6AE0E1184B9ABD9&index=0

eeks

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/08/07 09:45 PM

just for laugh's [img][IMG]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f149/herrmann1/100_0485.jpg[/img][/img]

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/08/07 09:55 PM

skeeter ronnie wouldn't it be easyer to replace the hook on your lure than cut aline that my cost 1000 times the cost of a hook and by the way where in the hell did you get my picture from?????

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/08/07 09:59 PM

CB - I think he said he was trolling for the hybrids & sandies while checking the jugs periodically for catfish.

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/08/07 10:44 PM

These are the Oklahoma rules and when I jugline, I fish for blues. My preference is to fish for hybrids and stripers with shad or in summer (hot) trolling.

JUGLINE: Juglines are restricted to no more than five (5) hooks per line and 20 juglines per person. A legal jugline is a vertical line sus­pend­ed from a nonmetallic or nonglass floating device, drifting free or anchored and has:

* owner’s name and address attached;
* been attended at least once every 24 hours.

These methods are legal for taking both game and nongame fish through­out the year, state­wide, unless restricted under “SPECIAL AREA REGULATIONS"

This is the Texas regs.

Jugline:
For use in FRESH WATER only. A fishing line with five or less hooks tied to a free-floating device.

* May be used to take NONGAME fish, channel catfish, blue catfish and flathead catfish only.
* Placement and Location Restrictions: Juglines may not be used in
o Community Fishing Lakes
o Reservoirs or sections of rivers lying totally within the boundaries of a state park
o Lake Bastrop in Bastrop County
o Bellwood Lake in Smith County
o Lake Bryan in Brazos County
o Boerne City Lake in Kendall County
o Lakes Coffee Mill and Davy Crockett in Fannin County
o Dixieland Reservoir in Cameron County
o Gibbons Creek Reservoir in Grimes County
o North Concho River from O.C. Fisher dam to the Bell Street dam
o Lake Pflugerville in Travis County
o South Concho River from Lone Wolf dam to Bell Street dam
o Tankersley Reservoir in Titus County

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/09/07 12:02 AM

Originally Posted By: GWS147
Why cant we all just get along. grin

because the low bred & low browed jug line cuttin law breakers think they own the lake.

Re: I hate jug lines at CC - 08/09/07 12:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Michial Thompson
I have had my trolling motor wrapped up in a trout line a couple of times, usually from the ones that are tied just below the surface in submerged trees.

I've hit a couple of jug lines, but only one wrapped up in the prop. These were cases where the jug lines were so close together and across an opening to a cove. I'd still have to share responsibility for hitting them, but at the same time they were blocking access to a lot of water too.

I usually don't mess with them unless they cause problems for me. It's been a number of years since I have seen either one that was obviously abandoned.

But for me if they cause problems they are fair game. Same as any other idiot on the water causing problems for me.

ok.... let me get this right.

if me and my 6yr old son are fishing.... and we cause YOU a problem by YOU running over our anchor line..... you will cut it?

Edited by me to remove a personal comment regarding my personal feelings about the class of some people who post here.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum