Texas Fishing Forum

Best guess what these are…

Posted By: fish_n_dude

Best guess what these are… - 06/29/21 05:17 PM

This was taken on a popular sandbass/hybrid lake. In a spot where I’ve caught tons on sandbass in the past(which is what I was going for). I fished this with a slab/jig and an in-line spinner and didn’t get a single bite. Could these be largemouth?! What do you think?

Attached picture 566A33AE-A63A-4905-8DFD-1BB9F3008325.jpeg
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Best guess what these are… - 06/29/21 05:22 PM

Those are shrimp
Posted By: learnin to fish

Re: Best guess what these are… - 06/29/21 06:02 PM

The images on the right part of the screen look more like hybrids. Many times I have been fishing for white bass with artificial lures and a school of hybrids swam by and I didn’t get a bite. Started fishing with live bait and I started catching hybrids.
Posted By: G Love

Re: Best guess what these are… - 06/29/21 06:26 PM

Could easily be Blues
Posted By: RespectTheFish

Re: Best guess what these are… - 06/29/21 11:28 PM

its honestly impossible to look at 2D sonar and know 100% what you are seeing. I like to pair 2D with DI to help better interpret what I am seeing. If you stopped and fished it and they didn't bite you could have been fishing when they are turned off or if they are hybrids/stripers they might ignore artificial baits. Regardless, if you don't get a bite in 5-10 minutes its time to move to find the right fish or find more active fish.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Best guess what these are… - 06/30/21 01:12 AM

The shallower fish look like hybrids or stripers. Catfish return a thicker flatter echo and that is what deeper ones might be. The pic is from Texoma while I was slaying stripers on bait. I did not take the time to take pic when they were much thicker. This is what I like to see. Obviously active fish. The downscan pic is from Tawok and shows very active fish. Streakers are good. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Holzer

Re: Best guess what these are… - 07/01/21 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by G Love
Could easily be Blues

My 1sth thought was catfish as well.
Posted By: Chris Richardson

Re: Best guess what these are… - 07/01/21 06:20 PM

History looks like kitties to me. suspended whites or hybrids on leading edge most likely.
Posted By: fish_n_dude

Re: Best guess what these are… - 07/01/21 07:54 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. I never would have thought about these being catfish marks! Learn something new everyday!
Posted By: G Love

Re: Best guess what these are… - 07/01/21 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by fish_n_dude
Thanks for all the feedback. I never would have thought about these being catfish marks! Learn something new everyday!

Didn't eat hard artificials, in Sandbass territory (food- as well as knocked around shad), fairly hard returns, it could be buffalo or something but if I was fishing for Blues I'd throw a few cuts down there, if its a feeding point.
Posted By: gborg

Re: Best guess what these are… - 07/02/21 12:19 PM

Being a die in the wool. Lowrance user, mostly red return from sonar = catfish. The large bony head returns a more solid or red return similar to a hard bottom.
Posted By: scubaarchery

Re: Best guess what these are… - 07/02/21 05:59 PM

[Linked Image]

I was fishing for hybrids on Lewisville. When I was getting the flatter thinner marks I caught hybrids. When the curved, comma shaped marks showed up, I started catching catfish and hybrids. I think your thicker marks are catfish and the other marks are whites or hybrids. I haven’t caught many of either species on a slab…
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum