Texas Fishing Forum

Downrigging in Winter

Posted By: Budward

Downrigging in Winter - 02/21/20 01:43 AM

Does anyone downrig during the winter time? Or is it too cold? If so how fast do you go?
Posted By: RespectTheFish

Re: Downrigging in Winter - 02/21/20 02:26 AM

The technique to be using is called deadsticking. I drift 0.3-0.5 mph. Downrigging would be a huge waste of time. Even the difference between deadsticking and bouncing the bait up in down as one of my friends does results in me catching 10 fish to his one. That’s how subtle and slow you have to be to catch fish right now. He who does less catches more.
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Downrigging in Winter - 02/21/20 03:45 AM

The only ones I know that have been successful downrigging in the winter on Buchanan was the late Joey Martin and current guide Bas Vanngreger. Joey Martin downrigged year round and always caught fish. Don’t know how he did it but he did. Bas learned from him and won’t share the secret. But it can be done
Posted By: SirDukeOfLor

Re: Downrigging in Winter - 02/21/20 04:03 AM

The first two weeks of January after a frustrating attempt at jigging, I caughts several whites and a smaller striper trolling Berkeley flicker shad, and other crankbaits 70-90 feet behind my boat at 2.5-3.0 mph.
Posted By: ML56

Re: Downrigging in Winter - 02/22/20 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by Budward
Does anyone downrig during the winter time? Or is it too cold? If so how fast do you go?

I have, 1.2 mph with trolling motor. Didn't load the boat with fish, but was the only way I got a strike on artificial baits.
Live baits worked better at .5 mph.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum