Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Whitney Spillway Access Denied?

Posted By: dmunsie

Lake Whitney Spillway Access Denied? - 08/09/18 08:54 AM

Fishing for stripers behind the dam from the bank at the power plant was a blast in the past. But now it's restricted and not allowed. I'm not even sure a boat can come near that area any more as well. This decision seems to be made 1-2 years ago. Anyone know when this decision was made and by whom? Thank you.
Posted By: slim1

Re: Lake Whitney Spillway Access Denied? - 08/09/18 01:17 PM

Probably has something to do with Homeland Security.
Posted By: fishingallday

Re: Lake Whitney Spillway Access Denied? - 08/09/18 05:05 PM

According to the Corps, the dam release is now automatically tied the electric grid. Which means the releases are unscheduled and can happen whenever the grid needs power. There is no longer two horn blasts prior to the water being released. Only the one, and the water is released immediately after. So its a safety issue.
http://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Lake-Wh...-364690721.html
Posted By: River Mongrel

Re: Lake Whitney Spillway Access Denied? - 08/09/18 08:15 PM

you can boat or kayak
Posted By: bluesea112

Re: Lake Whitney Spillway Access Denied? - 08/10/18 05:27 AM

River Mongrel, They have put signs up about 150 yards from the base of the dam across the entire river. If you go past the signs in a boat or kayak be prepared for a Ranger to show up promptly. It is a Federal crime to go past those signs, and they don't play around anymore.

Re: Lake Whitney Spillway Access Denied? - 08/10/18 10:11 AM

Originally Posted By: bluesea112
River Mongrel, They have put signs up about 150 yards from the base of the dam across the entire river. If you go past the signs in a boat or kayak be prepared for a Ranger to show up promptly. It is a Federal crime to go past those signs, and they don't play around anymore.

yes sir but I was saying that you can kayak or boat down the river from that point sorry should have been more clear
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Lake Whitney Spillway Access Denied? - 08/11/18 03:15 AM

We waded back there a couple of months ago.

Re: Lake Whitney Spillway Access Denied? - 08/11/18 10:22 AM

Thx for the comments. Still surprised they don't allow bank fishing right by the power plant like you used to be able to do. Needless to say I have started an inquiry to find out.
Posted By: reel believer

Re: Lake Whitney Spillway Access Denied? - 08/12/18 03:56 AM

You can fish off the platform right next to the outfall behind the dam on the west side. just not down the bank which is very rocky and hard to walk on anyway.

Re: Lake Whitney Spillway Access Denied? - 08/13/18 07:13 PM

Originally Posted By: reel believer
You can fish off the platform right next to the outfall behind the dam on the west side. just not down the bank which is very rocky and hard to walk on anyway.

Looking at the map, the west side of the lake is where the power plant side is, and all of that area is now posted off limits. The stairs leading down to the platform where you could fish, etc, etc. All posted off limits.

Is that where you mean, or are you talking about the other side? Thank you.
Posted By: reel believer

Re: Lake Whitney Spillway Access Denied? - 08/15/18 08:50 PM

I drove through there last week and saw people fishing off the platform, but I just called the corps office and was told that was now off limits. She didn't know how long it had been off limits but said that ther had been a big increase in power generation and that they were discouraging any fishing down there period. no worries for me, i can get to several spots there from private property if I need to.

Re: Lake Whitney Spillway Access Denied? - 08/17/18 02:36 PM

thank all the terrorists we let in for all these new rules
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum