Texas Fishing Forum

Splasher vs. thumper.?

Posted By: sae

Splasher vs. thumper.? - 06/26/18 06:23 PM

Iam trying to make a move and would like some advice, thanks
Posted By: scubaarchery

Re: Splasher vs. thumper.? - 06/26/18 09:44 PM

Splasher for most lakes especially when fish are high in water column. Thumpers seem to work better in the fall and winter when fish are deep although some people use them year round.
Posted By: TroyKing

Re: Splasher vs. thumper.? - 06/27/18 02:16 AM

What is a splasher?
Posted By: jbobo

Re: Splasher vs. thumper.? - 06/27/18 02:45 AM

Both work well. Splasher mimics bait or fish on the surface. Thump sound mimics predator fish eating bait. I use a Thumper almost every trip year round. But I’m biased. grin
Posted By: Bassthumb: Phill's Guide Svc

Re: Splasher vs. thumper.? - 06/27/18 03:20 AM

My personal opinion is that a thumper (I use a paddle) should be used when the water temps are below 60 degrees. I have a splasher on the back of my boat for warmer water.
Posted By: sae

Re: Splasher vs. thumper.? - 06/27/18 11:06 AM

Thanks all for the good info,keep it coming.
Posted By: JLight

Re: Splasher vs. thumper.? - 07/02/18 03:00 AM

Are there any alternatives to making a splasher than using a trolling motor? For example, could you use a stream of water over the edge to create the "splash"?
Posted By: Finaddict

Re: Splasher vs. thumper.? - 07/02/18 08:45 PM

I use a BoBo thumper year round. I see no difference in pulling them up from the bottom or in from shallower surrounding areas. To them the sound of a feeding frenzy has no difference. I think warmer shallower areas are easier as they are more active and looking for food. That is IF you have located shad schools first.
Posted By: Skunked Again Fishing

Re: Splasher vs. thumper.? - 07/02/18 09:06 PM

I'm a big thumper believer and built my own after thumping manually and seeing the results first hand. I've documented it on my YouTube channel, as well as on the water tests
Posted By: Ken Huynh

Re: Splasher vs. thumper.? - 07/16/18 02:41 AM

I have been using both. Splasher and hand manully thumbing. I always more the splasher since fishing and thumping one hand is just too much work and at time if you get a bite u drop thumping or someone in party had to pickup or fish will move.

Recently really been interest in thumping and found that bobo thumper machine. But for about $300 it kind of deep pocket for such a machine. I found the youtube video showing how to make one but seem more work than i really want to be doing.

I finally got bobo thumper this weeks and got it all installed with switch on dashboard for easy turning on and off. I was able to finall tried it on lake today.

OMG. I LOVE IT!!!

There has been a thermocline in about 25’ of water and it been hard to trigger then to feed or even react. But for whatever reason the thumber really worked and we had one of the best hybrid trip since I owned my boat.

The bobo thumber worked awesome and i can focus on using 2 rod instead of one and thumping.
Posted By: jbobo

Re: Splasher vs. thumper.? - 07/16/18 05:14 AM

Thanks so much for your report! I’m so glad your new Thumper has made such a difference for you. I hope you have many years of catching ahead of you. banana
Posted By: Skunked Again Fishing

Re: Splasher vs. thumper.? - 07/16/18 11:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Ken Huynh
I have been using both. Splasher and hand manully thumbing. I always more the splasher since fishing and thumping one hand is just too much work and at time if you get a bite u drop thumping or someone in party had to pickup or fish will move.

Recently really been interest in thumping and found that bobo thumper machine. But for about $300 it kind of deep pocket for such a machine. I found the youtube video showing how to make one but seem more work than i really want to be doing.

I finally got bobo thumper this weeks and got it all installed with switch on dashboard for easy turning on and off. I was able to finall tried it on lake today.

OMG. I LOVE IT!!!

There has been a thermocline in about 25’ of water and it been hard to trigger then to feed or even react. But for whatever reason the thumber really worked and we had one of the best hybrid trip since I owned my boat.

The bobo thumber worked awesome and i can focus on using 2 rod instead of one and thumping.

Ken:
I'm glad you were successful with the Bobo thumper. Another believer! Congrats.
Tim
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum