Texas Fishing Forum

Fished Tawakoni White Bass Tournament with grandson Sam - Results

Posted By: Dennis Christian

Fished Tawakoni White Bass Tournament with grandson Sam - Results - 06/10/18 09:33 PM

Yesterday I fished with grandson Sam. He and I used Mepps #4 to catch all our fish. We caught 101 white bass, and each weighed in our biggest 5 fish. His weighed 6.1 lb, which I think would place him 4th in the tournament, however only the top 3 got recognized. Scott (ScottyP) came in 3rd with 6.4 lb and Gene (CHAMPIN FISH) came in 2nd at 6.98 lb and won big fish. I was fortunate to catch several nice whites and weighed in at 7.14 lb to take 1`st.

I pre-fished the lake Friday and found four places holding fish – Cloud Point, Greenville Pump Station, Anchor Point and Finger Point. Yesterday we did the best at Greenville Pump Station (GPS) and Cloud Point. At GPS fish were about 15 fow, and at Cloud Point they were in 20-22 fow. At GPS I lost about 15 minutes of catching whites when a 29 inch buffalo got on my line. Sam helped me net it after the fight, and we estimate it weighed about 35 lb. Sam and I both were using 10 lb fluorocarbon line on 7:1 ratio smooth-reeling casting reels.

We got to enjoy the fish-fry lunch at the table with Hubbard regulars Gene (CHAMPION FISH). CoachZ, ScottyP, and Pat (Filetmaker) and Tawakoni/Texoma regular Larry (Lenahorse). Larry didn’t fish the tournament but just came over to lend support to the competitors. Thanks, Larry!

As those of you know who have read my posts and Mepps website article and watched my video, I have been trying to make folks aware of the Mepps method for catching white bass. I consider the discovery of it as gift from God, since “...all good gifts are from above.” One way to prove how good the technique is, is to enter and win a white bass tournament. In 2013 I entered and won the Ray Hubbard white bass tournament. In 2016 Sam and I entered the Tawakoni white bass tournament and Sam won big fish and 3rd place and I won 2nd place. Yesterday we entered and I won the Tawakoni tournament. In all these tournaments we used the Mepps method. I hope this will encourage more of you to try it - a gift I don't want to end when I pass on but want others to learn and enjoy.

Here are some pics from the event:

Sam and I at the lunch

The 29 inch buffalo

Larry (Lenahorse) with Pat (Filetmaker) to his right

Gene, CoachZ and ScottyP

Posted By: Alumacraft 14

Re: Fished Tawakoni White Bass Tournament with grandson Sam - Results - 06/10/18 09:46 PM

Congrats! Looks like you had a great time. The mepps spinner you are using what weight do you prefer?
Posted By: FishinTime

Re: Fished Tawakoni White Bass Tournament with grandson Sam - Results - 06/10/18 10:29 PM

Outstanding, congratulations sir!!

Re: Fished Tawakoni White Bass Tournament with grandson Sam - Results - 06/10/18 11:32 PM

Alumacraft: #4 Mepps plain Aglia silver is working best now and most of the time. Usually in late July through September I have to go to a #2 size of the same Mepps due to new hatch of shad.
Posted By: etu

Re: Fished Tawakoni White Bass Tournament with grandson Sam - Results - 06/11/18 12:17 AM

Congratulations Dennis! Fish fry is usually the best part of that tourney😋
Posted By: hybridfisher

Re: Fished Tawakoni White Bass Tournament with grandson Sam - Results - 06/11/18 02:12 AM

Congratulations Dennis to you and your grandson!
Posted By: Rockwall Roy

Re: Fished Tawakoni White Bass Tournament with grandson Sam - Results - 06/11/18 02:17 AM

Nicely done Dennis!
Posted By: GoFishNow

Re: Fished Tawakoni White Bass Tournament with grandson Sam - Results - 06/11/18 02:39 AM

Congratulations Dennis! You are the best!
Posted By: jbobo

Re: Fished Tawakoni White Bass Tournament with grandson Sam - Results - 06/11/18 03:20 AM

Congrats mr. Christian! Good post. Well done.
Posted By: BlueTuna

Re: Fished Tawakoni White Bass Tournament with grandson Sam - Results - 06/11/18 03:21 AM

Congratulations Dennis, your Grandson, Gene $ Scotty P!
Posted By: chrisc/striper express guide service

Re: Fished Tawakoni White Bass Tournament with grandson Sam - Results - 06/11/18 11:59 AM

Master D showing everyone how it’s done!
Posted By: Coachzee

Re: Fished Tawakoni White Bass Tournament with grandson Sam - Results - 06/11/18 12:56 PM

Congrats again DC. It was a pleasure to meet you at the tourney and watch you school us all on the Mepps.
Posted By: SeaPro-Todd

Re: Fished Tawakoni White Bass Tournament with grandson Sam - Results - 06/11/18 01:21 PM

Congrats, DC. I had my money on you smile
Posted By: scubaarchery

Re: Fished Tawakoni White Bass Tournament with grandson Sam - Results - 06/11/18 07:57 PM

Dennis your Mepps method seems primarily targeted for sandies, have you tried the same method with bigger spinners for hybrids or Stripers? Any luck?

Re: Fished Tawakoni White Bass Tournament with grandson Sam - Results - 06/11/18 09:09 PM

I don't target hybrids. When they are in the area I catch them with #4 Mepps. I have tried #5's but don't think their action is as good as #4's. Last Friday when pre-fishing Tawakoni I caught 12 legal hybrids in one spot on a #4 along with a couple dozen big whites.
Posted By: DrWhiplash

Re: Fished Tawakoni White Bass Tournament with grandson Sam - Results - 06/11/18 09:16 PM

Dennis you and Sam put on a show with the technique ya had it down to a science! Glad we were close by to coach Sam with the net and to coach you with that biggo buffalo with the beloved whiplash bullhorn! coach coach “NO PRESSURE .. BUT WERE ALL WATCHING” roflmao Glad you enjoyed those boys Hooton n HollerN out there.. thank ya fish
Posted By: Chris Richardson

Re: Fished Tawakoni White Bass Tournament with grandson Sam - Results - 06/11/18 09:40 PM

Congrats on the WIN!
Posted By: flyingmonkey70

Re: Fished Tawakoni White Bass Tournament with grandson Sam - Results - 06/11/18 11:26 PM

Representing CCL! Congratulations Dennis and Sam.
Posted By: brennansgrandpa

Re: Fished Tawakoni White Bass Tournament with grandson Sam - Results - 06/11/18 11:50 PM

Well done Guy's! A great day of fishing and congrats on the win! True testament Dennis that your Mepp's method is transportable to other lakes. We are all lucky to have you on the forum and to learn from you. All the best! Tom

Re: Fished Tawakoni White Bass Tournament with grandson Sam - Results - 06/12/18 12:31 AM

Dr Whiplash: Now you see why Seapro Todd is now "spoiled" to using Mepps as his goto lure. Yes, Todd, they said I spoiled you!
Posted By: scubaarchery

Re: Fished Tawakoni White Bass Tournament with grandson Sam - Results - 06/12/18 01:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Dennis Christian
I don't target hybrids. When they are in the area I catch them with #4 Mepps. I have tried #5's but don't think their action is as good as #4's. Last Friday when pre-fishing Tawakoni I caught 12 legal hybrids in one spot on a #4 along with a couple dozen big whites.

Thanks Dennis. I will have to give your method a try!
Posted By: SeaPro-Todd

Re: Fished Tawakoni White Bass Tournament with grandson Sam - Results - 06/12/18 02:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Dennis Christian
Dr Whiplash: Now you see why Seapro Todd is now "spoiled" to using Mepps as his goto lure. Yes, Todd, they said I spoiled you!

They must have told you my mepps on steroid lure... The meppsing ARig roflmao
Posted By: Bassthumb: Phill's Guide Svc

Re: Fished Tawakoni White Bass Tournament with grandson Sam - Results - 06/12/18 02:21 AM

Your on fire Dennis!! Good job. How many boats entered ??

Re: Fished Tawakoni White Bass Tournament with grandson Sam - Results - 06/12/18 03:39 AM

Don't know officially, but I estimate 35-40 entries - down considerably from the last time I entered.
Posted By: Viet Zay

Re: Fished Tawakoni White Bass Tournament with grandson Sam - Results - 06/12/18 03:40 AM

Good for the winner
Posted By: 4x4

Re: Fished Tawakoni White Bass Tournament with grandson Sam - Results - 06/12/18 01:00 PM

Congratulations to you and your grandson ! Job well done Dennis !
Posted By: VIP Fishing

Re: Fished Tawakoni White Bass Tournament with grandson Sam - Results - 06/12/18 01:45 PM

Congrats to all who entered and to those that won!
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Fished Tawakoni White Bass Tournament with grandson Sam - Results - 06/13/18 12:35 PM

Congratulations Dennis, it was fun.
Posted By: Filletmaker

Re: Fished Tawakoni White Bass Tournament with grandson Sam - Results - 06/13/18 03:08 PM

Congratulations to Dennis, Gene and Scotty. I was so close and I'm going to keep trying. Glad to see you guys.
Posted By: ML56

Re: Fished Tawakoni White Bass Tournament with grandson Sam - Results - 06/14/18 03:35 AM

Congrats to all the winners clap
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Fished Tawakoni White Bass Tournament with grandson Sam - Results - 06/14/18 04:30 AM

Great post and some Lifetime Memories! Thanks for sharing. thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum