Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Palestine fish kill

Posted By: Lake Side Lures

Lake Palestine fish kill - 05/14/18 11:26 PM

Since last Saturday thousands of white bass and hybrids have starting dying on the lake and are floating around this kill goes from the river inlet to the dam the whole lake has been affected. So far no other species have been affected.
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Lake Palestine fish kill - 05/15/18 12:28 AM

Golden Algae??
Posted By: Finaddict

Re: Lake Palestine fish kill - 05/15/18 12:41 AM

The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department is aware of a fish kill impacting primarily white bass on Lake Palestine. TPWD officials believe the kill is a naturally-occurring disease within the white bass population brought on by post spawn stress.
Posted By: Lake Side Lures

Re: Lake Palestine fish kill - 05/15/18 12:52 AM

If TPWD says it's a post spawn disease then why have no other lakes in East Texas that has white bass and Hybrid dying in them. All the other lakes have had white bass spawn in them ?
Posted By: Dennis Christian

Re: Lake Palestine fish kill - 05/15/18 01:43 PM

Can they tell us what disease took advantage of the weakened condition and killed them? Seems like they should do a test on a few fish to verify what it was, rather than guessing. Maybe they ARE doing this and will share the results.
Posted By: Fin&Feather

Re: Lake Palestine fish kill - 05/15/18 02:12 PM

I find it hard to believe that it is natural occurring disease. As others stated why haven't other lake close by seen any fish kills after spawn? I have feeling lake may have turned over sooner that it should.
Posted By: ATM97

Re: Lake Palestine fish kill - 05/15/18 02:14 PM

Have been catching quite a few sickly looking white bass the last two weeks. Looked like August fish. Probably saw 50 white bass floating on the mid lake east bank on Friday that appeared to be dead about 24 hours but sounds like it got much worse over the weekend. The hybrids, however, have been fat and fiesty.
Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: Lake Palestine fish kill - 05/15/18 05:38 PM

We have seen a few hybrid and Striper floating but nothing out of the ordinary for us...our fish look happy and healthy.
Posted By: Mo

Re: Lake Palestine fish kill - 05/15/18 07:13 PM

I was out on the lake for a short time , Sunday evening , about 2 miles north of the dam,
I only saw a few fish floating.

White bass can bounce back quick, I just hope it does not affect other species,,

MO
Posted By: sandbasscamp

Re: Lake Palestine fish kill - 05/16/18 01:45 AM

Bud of mine lives on north bank off highsaw and had to clean up about 150, that had a few crappie and catfish. Mostly whites. Whites have been smaller than I've seen. Whatever it is , ain't good.
Posted By: Mo

Re: Lake Palestine fish kill - 05/16/18 01:38 PM

Walked down to the dock this AM ,

no smell , could not see any dead fish,

hope it has run it's course,

MO
Posted By: Redfoxone

Re: Lake Palestine fish kill - 05/16/18 09:31 PM

I would guess Flavobacterium columnare is the cause, but I'm no biologist.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum