Texas Fishing Forum

Fishing Whitney

Posted By: Triton cc

Fishing Whitney - 04/24/18 05:03 PM

I’m headed to Whitney this weekend for some camping and fishing. Just wondering if anyone has been catching any Striper’s around the island, whitney creek or state park?
Posted By: big D

Re: Fishing Whitney - 04/24/18 06:04 PM

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

I camped with my son over the weekend and smoked them from the katy bridge, to the island, state park, mouth of whitney creek and all in-between. Wind got so bad we even tried deep inside some of the coves on the south end. They were in there too! Striper wanted nothing to do with lures. All of our fish were caught on live and cut shad in 24-34FOW near river/creek channels. A guide reported of catching them on top water yesterday, but we had no top water luck around the state park over the weekend.

Good luck!!!

Re: Fishing Whitney - 04/24/18 07:16 PM

Awesome! Thank you Big D!! And congrats on your catch! I will definitely will share my results!
Posted By: TexasMike

Re: Fishing Whitney - 04/25/18 10:24 PM

I am going tomorrow to see if I can find them. Where did you find the shad???
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: Fishing Whitney - 04/25/18 11:11 PM

went last week and caught them on cranks and spinners bait while bass fishing.. Could not keep the sand bass and stripers off my line.

Re: Fishing Whitney - 04/26/18 02:52 AM

We head out tomorrow night, so will be on the lake first thing Friday! I will post and let y’all know how we do and if we do well, how and where we did it! Thanks for everyone’s input!
Posted By: HuntandFish

Re: Fishing Whitney - 04/26/18 01:28 PM

You guys think it will be possible to catch striped or whites from the shore at the state park?

Re: Fishing Whitney - 04/26/18 06:00 PM

I see people fishing there a lot so I would imagine so. My suggestion would be using at minimum a 7ft rod or longer to get your bait out there.
Posted By: FishTheBite

Re: Fishing Whitney - 04/27/18 02:04 AM

A popping cork and a jig on a long rod would be worth trying from the bank.
Posted By: old fisherman

Re: Fishing Whitney - 05/02/18 12:58 AM

The striper and white bass are hitting top water early and on cloudy days.. Bank fishing can be good if the wind is blowing in... Fish are following the shad..
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum