Texas Fishing Forum

Blum sandies

Posted By: Bassman_78

Blum sandies - 03/24/18 04:55 PM

This is my first post, so hello to everybody!

Is there still some sand bass action going on in Blum?
Posted By: Easeup

Re: Blum sandies - 03/24/18 11:42 PM

welcome to the camp fire

Re: Blum sandies - 03/25/18 01:19 AM

Thanks!
Posted By: jkb1314

Re: Blum sandies - 03/25/18 05:09 AM

Yes if you're a good fisherman and willing to get up extra early. Need to know which holes are best. Beware the dude trying to sell limits of sand bass for gas money. Jkb

Re: Blum sandies - 03/25/18 05:11 AM

Can I get a PM on it? I've been going out there since I was a kid. I live a little farther away now. I won't be a newb out there, or taking friends.

Thanks JKB. cheers You posted while I was writing this.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Blum sandies - 03/25/18 05:47 AM

welcome
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Blum sandies - 03/25/18 10:35 AM

welcome nothing like new faces...I will send you a PM in a bit...

Re: Blum sandies - 03/25/18 06:57 PM

Small twitch baits rubber and hard baits fluke fire cracker lilfishie baits all work sometimes with just a hook and no weight fished impossibly slow. The usual holes at puckett springs. Jkb

Re: Blum sandies - 03/25/18 07:08 PM

However if ya don't like crowds.... 87 trucks first morning of spring break never seen anything like it. Completely stupid. Thankfully few caught fish and the crowds have dwindled a bit
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Blum sandies - 03/25/18 11:46 PM

welcome To the TFF!
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Blum sandies - 03/26/18 12:07 AM

Originally Posted By: jkb1314
However if ya don't like crowds.... 87 trucks first morning of spring break never seen anything like it. Completely stupid. Thankfully few caught fish and the crowds have dwindled a bit

Kinda like going Spring break week. bolt

Re: Blum sandies - 03/26/18 02:25 AM

Thank you for the info, and thanks to all for the welcome.

Yes sir. A single, smaller twitchbait fished slow has been about the only lure I've ever needed for close to 30 years now. I stopped going there because of the crowds when it got where I could only go on the weekends, and the longer drive too. Ideally, I fish the lure upstream letting it come back down with the current, and it got hard to even get enough room out there to do that comfortably. I only have one of that lure left and they don't make them anymore. There's nothing comparably similar either, unfortunately. I like weightless swimbaits/plastics. They've been pretty good to me since trying to save my last lure.
Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: Blum sandies - 03/26/18 03:34 AM

Fly rod and a clouser that is all

Re: Blum sandies - 03/26/18 02:10 PM

I won't argue. The only thing my old man would use aside from said twitchbait, which is saltwater lure, was a bucktail clouser or similar cheated with a spinning rod. I never learned how to tie them.

Re: Blum sandies - 03/26/18 06:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Robert Hunter
Fly rod and a clouser that is all

thumb

Re: Blum sandies - 03/26/18 08:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Bassman_78
I won't argue. The only thing my old man would use aside from said twitchbait, which is saltwater lure, was a bucktail clouser or similar cheated with a spinning rod. I never learned how to tie them.

Re: Blum sandies - 03/27/18 01:10 AM

Ne'er deer olive or white. Great flies as well

Re: Blum sandies - 03/27/18 03:23 PM

Mirrolure makes a new bait called a mirodine mini. Action is very similar to 3m11 but only slightly larger. Works well. They'll make 3m11s for you in bulk for a hefty price like several hundred dollars. But I don't know anyone who has done that. I like the tiny matzuo nano and a weightless tiny fluke. If you like the fly rod, that works well too
Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: Blum sandies - 03/27/18 07:30 PM

1”-2” prerigged swim baits as well. The fly will out fish Ghost minnows and shad seigned right out of the river most days. With that bubble rig don’t need a fly rod to fish with a fly.

Re: Blum sandies - 03/29/18 04:19 AM

JKB Well done. I think my dad and his friend may be the initial source for most anyone around here that knows about them. I have called a few times about it as well, and get the same answer roughly. I actually found 2 of the mirrodine mini's that someone had returned from a fishing trip, same color 11, in a Academy in Fort Worth a few weeks back. I tied one on just to get a feel for it what it can do working it different ways. It has a similar action, but it's missing the back-up of the 3M, which is mostly what makes it so special and versatile. The mirrodine just stsys suspended at all times. I found some tricks I like, but I have to get it around some fish and see what gets them to hit it when fished on the slower side. It has an internal rattle, which I'm not that fond of in theory. It won't fish quite as shallow as a 3M either. It might not end up being magic, but it might end up being a pretty good weapon though, still.

Re: Blum sandies - 03/29/18 04:27 AM

I'll keep this fly info for sure. I might try to get some ready for next years run. Prerigged swimbaits is what I meant when I said weightless swimbaits haha. I've only used 2" though. I like them especially when there's a little current
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum